Why become a member? ×

what everyone think of this bass

harlowbassplayer

It changes the pick-up wiring between series and parallel.

On the jazzes it meant you could get a sort of Precision tone and was loved by loads of peeps. Not so popular on the P.

For that money you could get a 2009 Precision, which doesn't have the S1 switching, but does have a chunkier bridge and some of the best build quality you'll see on a Fender.

[quote name='harlowbassplayer' post='622758' date='Oct 10 2009, 10:43 PM']cool what is the S1 switch for
cause i was thinking of gettin one of those basses[/quote]

Don't get that one.

S-1 switches on Precisions do nothing much. They make the pup into two singles (like a Jazz) rather than in series (and vice versa). Works perfectly fine on the Jazz bass as the pups are spaced out, not on the P bass as they're all together so they don't pick up the differences from locations.

Being an S1 means it's an 07 (I think) or earlier, for that price you can get an 08/09 which has a better spec such as the High Mass Bridge and the rolled finger board edges to name two, also the 08 onwards have much better QC on the basses as far as everyone who's got a new one on here has been saying. Not heard of a bad 08/09 one yet.

I love Precision basses and have owned several (currently running at 3). The S1 switching was on the 2007 model - I have one. I agree with the comments that it works great on the Jazzes but is a bit of a waste on the Precision. I guess this is why Fender no longer install it. That price is quite outrageous though. I picked up a brand new 2007 60th Anniversary (old stock that hadn't sold) from Dawsons in Reading earlier this year for a few pennies over £600. A much better deal on a USA P-bass and the resale value will be better on an anniversary model. I'm sure you can get a great deal on a USA P-bass at several other dealers.

[quote name='harlowbassplayer' post='622852' date='Oct 11 2009, 01:47 AM']so how about if the price was 790 is that a good deal for an S1 p bass[/quote]

Still to high. there's one here for £669. but as its been pointed out. forget about the S1 switching on a Pbass. you can get a good used one for a lot less money.

[url="http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Fender+American+Precision+Bass+Black+Maple+Neck+(P+Bass)?o=334095689&s=659837&"]http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Fender+American...p;s=659837&[/url]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='622857' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:02 AM']Still to high. there's one here for £669. but as its been pointed out. forget about the S1 switching on a Pbass. you can get a good used one for a lot less money.

[url="http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Fender+American+Precision+Bass+Black+Maple+Neck+(P+Bass)?o=334095689&s=659837&"]http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Fender+American...p;s=659837&[/url][/quote]

true thanks for the help
i will have a look at the fender usa p bass without the S1

Hiya

I hope you don't mind me saying but despite some very sound comments you seem a little determined to go down a particular path.

There's a lot of great bargains that come up here on BassChat and with most sellers there's a pedigree and some feedback.

For that sort of money you'll see some far better instruments, in fact even for a lot less money.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='622949' date='Oct 11 2009, 10:57 AM']I hope you don't mind me saying but despite some very sound comments you seem a little determined to go down a particular path.

There's a lot of great bargains that come up here on BassChat and with most sellers there's a pedigree and some feedback.

For that sort of money you'll see some far better instruments, in fact even for a lot less money.[/quote]

I too wondered if there was a certain convieniance with this store? Even GAK and Soundslive to better deals on new US P-basses.

The price drop is a fair bit better but still far from getting a great deal.

If you're curious what series/parallel switching sounds like on a P you can find out for the cost of £5 for a push-pull pot and a couple of beers to an electrically capable mate.

Put it in a P copy I refitted with an SD quarter pounder for a punter once. Not a lot else to do on a single pup passive bass!
Wasn't overly impressed TBH, not much of a difference. Get a cheaper, better bass and use the extra cash to put a bridge pickup in there (or just buy a 2-pup bass) if you want more versatility.