Why become a member? ×

Funky! Great bass on pick up the pieces

OldGit

[quote name='crez5150' post='620792' date='Oct 8 2009, 05:28 PM']Spy Austin's kool player.... however this isn't his best....

I still like Nathan's version - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0"]P.U.T.P. Loop[/url][/quote]

I'm not entirely sure who 'Nathan' is but man that's fantastic!

[quote name='Zombywoof' post='620798' date='Oct 8 2009, 05:37 PM']I'm not entirely sure who 'Nathan' is but man that's fantastic![/quote]
Just watched it! Very nice ..............................

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='620928' date='Oct 8 2009, 07:52 PM']Sorry Old Git, but I'm not sure about this. To me, funk needs space, which is why the original works so well.

You can argue it with me on Saturday, but bear in mind I'm getting you in free. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh I don't think that was a funky version of PUTP (which I play on sax in one assiate bands) I just think it can stand a lot of variable treatments and I liked it. Busy, sloppy, messy etc.. It still has something I like.
We can half agree as MrsOldGit has had a day time TV advert work related accident that wasn't her fault and so has her leg up and won't be along :)

I was in a Band with Spy years ago. It was just a plain old covers band (Backin time/City Heat) and although he could over play sometimes he was a great inspiration to me. I was on keyboards at the time although i had been playing bass before that.
His playing was sometimes like a machine gun going off, very good player and a great voice as well.

It's not too clear from the above postings, but that's actually all of Sam Kelly's Station House forming the core of the backing band. Apart from Spy on bass, you've got TJ on guitar and the main man Sam Kelly on drums (not percussion, Sam's the one doing the goldfish impersonation).

Incidentally, I rate Sam as one of THE nicest guys I've met through music. Fabulous drummer and a truly supportive guy on stage. I can't think of any other drummer I'd rather play alongside. If any of you ever get the opportunity, don't even hesitate.

Finally, if Paul Rose is reading this, Spy took a bit of a shine to the ProseBass Custom V!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='620928' date='Oct 8 2009, 07:52 PM']Sorry Old Git, but I'm not sure about this. To me, funk needs space, which is why the original works so well.[/quote]

+1

I think he ruins it with too many notes, very rare i will say that but the original grooves impeccably and this version sounds like a student over playing on an assessment, trying too hard to be funky.

Sorry

Dave