Why become a member? ×

Bass Like a Guitar

Kaiu

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for an effects pedal that can make a bass sound like a guitar. I recorded a bass fill on our album using an Epiphone Jack Cassidy played through a guitar amp. However live I play a Musicman Sterling through an SVT2 and 810 and so I need a pedal that will do the job.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed (Elliot Minor)

Edited by Kaiu

[quote name='Kaiu' post='616589' date='Oct 4 2009, 04:39 PM']Hi Guys,

I'm looking for an effects pedal that can make a bass sound like a guitar. I recorded a bass fill on our album using an Epiphone Jack Cassidy played through a guitar amp. However live I play a Musicman Sterling through an SVT2 and 810 and so I need a pedal that will do the job.

Also does anyone know how to 'host' mp3's? I didn't know how to show you guys a clip of what I wanted so I used Fileden.

Here is a clip of the recording in question (it really does sound like a guitar). The clip is only 8 seconds long so it won't take long at all to download it:

[url="http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/10/4/2592822/I%20Believe%20Bass%20Extract.mp3"]http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_pa...s%20Extract.mp3[/url]

Thanks,

Ed (Elliot Minor)[/quote]

hmmmm, actually sounds pretty synthy to me, i'd maybe go down that route, there will doubtless be others here who can advise you better on synth pedals, not really my forte!

[quote name='ezbass' post='618221' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:45 AM']An octave pedal that gives an octave above (I think the current Boss does this) plus an overdrive is necessary is an option, but the synth option sounds like a better all in one package.[/quote]

I've tried some distortions but they aren't 'creamy' enough. They are either dirty or fuzzy. I'll look around for a decent synth sound.

If anyone has any particular pedals to suggest, synth or otherwise, please let me know!

Thanks

Ed

p.s The octave could make life a lot easier, I actually play this song live on a bass tuned Bb,Eb,Ab,Db, so I'm missing the top string.

Ed

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='618293' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:30 AM']How about a guitar amp on an A/B switch?[/quote]

That would definitely been an option if I were using that tone for more stuff. However it seems overkill at the moment, especially considering we are playing some smaller venues this tour.

Thanks for the suggestions I will google the two pedals suggested!

Ed

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='618381' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:23 AM']Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synthesizer should be perfect. Search google and watch the Peter Stroud demo video, he shows how you can get a guitar tone using it.[/quote]

AND there's one for sale: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52992"]In the Effects Marketplace[/url] for £100

I'd combine something like an EHX Micro Pog (great digital octave up, with the down too) with some kind of overdrive or fuzz. Variations of the Big Muff are a popular starting point for fuzz.

The Bass Micro Synth is a good idea, especially if you only want to turn on one pedal for that sound, and plus with everything else included in the pedal you can have a lot of fun. I'm loving the big sweeps you can get with it.

On the album cut of 'Don't Forget Me' off 'By The Way' there's a fuzz bass fill that was played by John Frusciante. Here's them playing it live and Flea just does the same thing - it's at 1min 50s. Not that dissimilar to your fill, just needs a pick and some more high mids to add bite.

Synth pedals and octave shifters will just open up a tracking can of worms.

Alex

[quote name='Kaiu' post='616589' date='Oct 4 2009, 04:39 PM']Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Ed (Elliot Minor)[/quote]
a tonebender or similar clone will get you there or even a big muff with some mods!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='618483' date='Oct 6 2009, 12:58 PM']Why not just play the fill up above the 12th fret with some distortion?

Alex[/quote]

That is what I've been doing up until now, sticking my little big muff on and playing it above the 12th fret. However the muff is too fuzzy and doesn't cut through.
So I'm looking for a different distortion or synth.

Thanks for the video by the way!

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='618485' date='Oct 6 2009, 01:02 PM']Or get one of these bad boys:

:)[/quote]

ha I like

I'm thinking either the MicroSynth, or a distortion and an eq to remove lows.

Ed

Edited by Kaiu

How about an Akai Unibass pedal? Sounds s**t on its own, but I used to run one with the octave above output through a distortion/amp model pedal and send it into the PA. It did a "passable" guitar sound for a few moments and didn't mess up the bass sound. Although its discontinued, they do come up on fleabay quite often for about £70.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='618944' date='Oct 6 2009, 08:00 PM']might be my super bassy headphones but that sounds like a bass to me already, you'd need a tubescreamereque pedal for the overdrive but you should have no trouble pulling that off[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion. It is a bass. I used an Epiphone Jack Cassidy bass but put it through a guitar amp. I wondered why people were suggesting octaves, my post almost implies I used a guitar.

Doh!!

Thankyou everyone for the suggestions. I'm popping over to Dawsons in Manchester to see if they have any of these and I'm going to try a load out.