Why become a member? ×

Is a 35" scale bass much different?

TheBlueFalcon

Now that I am looking at basses again, I was wondering what people thought about the 35" scale compared to 34"? I've read the 35" scale thread and there were a couple of comments, so I was hoping to expand on that.

I think I have small hands, which is really the only reason why I had originally ruled out a 35" scale bass. Am I right to do so or should I still consider one?

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

[quote name='Doddy' post='612564' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:26 PM']I like a 35" scale on a 5 string because I find that it tightens
up the B string and gives more definition to the lower range.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have mentioned I am looking at 4 string basses. Although I did wonder if I should consider a 5 string. But then, short fingers was also the reason for not looking at 5 string basses.

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

I have small hands (I think) and would never have considered a 35" scale as a regular gigging bass, but the bass in my avatar is 36" and a 5 string, and I find that pretty easy to play. I think it's partly down to the neck profile and postion of the neck to your body as to whether it will cause you playing issues, but the difference when stretching on the lower frets is obvious compared to a 34", a 35" maybe not so much.

Any bass is a sum of its parts and the scale length is just one variable among many which may or may not have a small effect as part of the total recipe, so I would say it is hard to say definitively unless you have two identical basses with different scale lengths. I have had 35ers with bad B strings, 36" with fantastic top end, 34" with great all round playability and even played a 33" with a superb B, so it it all varies. Sorry, there is no real answer!!

ped

[quote name='whynot' post='612572' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:34 PM']I have small hands (I think) and would never have considered a 35" scale as a regular gigging bass, but the bass in my avatar is 36" and a 5 string, and I find that pretty easy to play. I think it's partly down to the neck profile and postion of the neck to your body as to whether it will cause you playing issues, but the difference when stretching on the lower frets is obvious compared to a 34", a 35" maybe not so much.[/quote]

Some people don't think there is much difference at all, but others say there is a big difference. Most comments seem to be from people that have been playing for years on a 34" scale, so I wondered if it's just a case of me getting used to whichever one I learn on.

As far as position of the bass is concerned, I can understand that, as I noticed a difference between sitting with the bass resting on my leg, compared to the bass strapped and higher up. I can see how that would most likely make a bigger difference than an extra inch on the scale.

The B strings on some 34" 5 string basses work and some don't. I've not heard of a 35" 5 string bass with a bad B string so I guess that's where the benefit is. If you have small hands you can still play a 35" bass. You just have to move your hands a little rather than stretching to the next note. Hand size doesn’t seem to bother double bass players with their 42” scale!!

The scale length doesn't guarantee a good-sounding B string, only a change in tension if you use the same gauge of string.
My current bass is an MTD 635-24 which has a 35" scale, and the B is awesome. I recently tried an old Warwick Dolphin 5 with a 34" scale, and the B was even better - the B string felt as tight. The difference? The MTD has a wider range of tones as it is made from ash and maple with a wenge neck and board. The Dolphin has a Boire body, wenge neck and board. So it would seem that dense hardwoods tighten up the low end - I've never played a Warwick with a dull B, and they've all been 34". Too much hardwood in a body restricts the variety of tone. That's why Warwicks are great, but they have "that" sound.

There is a sticky at the top of the page about this.
One final thought: the OP mentions stubby fingers. Well Anthony Jackson is one of the baddest people ever to pick up bass. He's quite short, with small hands, and he plays a 36" 6-string with wide spacing and 28 frets. Don't worry about the scale being too long - go for what sounds and feels right.

Longer scale length is no guarantee of a better B string. Of all my 5-strings the best B is on my 34" Sei, followed by the 36" Overwater. IMO opinion it has everything to do with construction rather than the speaking length of the string.

I've also found that mid-priced (£300-£1000) 5-strings with longer scale lengths are not as good on the B-string as a really good 34" scale bass.

As for ease of playing of the different scale lengths, IMO it has far more to do with the balance of the bass and how it hangs on the strap than the scale length. I find the lower fret positions on the 36" scale Overwater easier than on a 34" Fender P or J. In fact when I bought my first Overwater I didn't even realise that it was a longer scale length until I changed the strings for the first time a wondered why standard 34" scale strings didn't fit.

Don't look at the numbers. Go with what feels and sounds good to you.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='612766' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:08 AM']As for ease of playing of the different scale lengths, IMO it has far more to do with the balance of the bass and how it hangs on the strap than the scale length. I find the lower fret positions on the 36" scale Overwater easier than on a 34" Fender P or J. In fact when I bought my first Overwater I didn't even realise that it was a longer scale length until I changed the strings for the first time a wondered why standard 34" scale strings didn't fit.

Don't look at the numbers. Go with what feels and sounds good to you.[/quote]

+1, very good points about ergonomics. Some basses with long upper horns maker reaching all the frets very easy. I've played some 34" basses (mainly spikey shaped ones) where the 1st fret was a real stretch due to the positioning of the strap button.