Why become a member? ×

I want a distortion that is so ridiculous

matt_citizenbass

i basically want to sound like Kurt Ballou ( guitarist fom converge) but on bass.

preferably not really expensive. Preferably no bass loss.

i want a pedal that also feedsback nicely as apposed to squeal annoyingly which my current distortion does right now.

no fuzzes. I play a lot of chords and i need the sound to be still detailed but heavy as hell.

has anyone got any pedal recomendations?

cheers,
Matt

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='610508' date='Sep 28 2009, 01:16 AM']i basically want to sound like Kurt Ballou ( guitarist fom converge) but on bass.

preferably not really expensive. Preferably no bass loss.

i want a pedal that also feedsback nicely as apposed to squeal annoyingly which my current distortion does right now.

no fuzzes. I play a lot of chords and i need the sound to be still detailed but heavy as hell.

has anyone got any pedal recomendations?

cheers,
Matt[/quote]
selmer treble and bass on full and some big 2X15s?

[quote]Matt, it it in key squealing, or microphonic? Might not be fault of your distortion.[/quote]

what does that mean? i guess it might not be my distortion but i've had it through every amp i've played through . I guess it could be my single jazz pickup?

in terms of tone. I'm not keen on valve amps, i've had a soundcity 120B and its lovely but not exactly for me. Plus i use about 30% clean sound so i need to have that of being able to go back to crisp and delicate... if ya get me....

a DHA has always appealed to me, how far gain can they go? would anyone care to share some soundclips?

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='611098' date='Sep 28 2009, 06:25 PM']what does that mean? i guess it might not be my distortion but i've had it through every amp i've played through . I guess it could be my single jazz pickup?

in terms of tone. I'm not keen on valve amps, i've had a soundcity 120B and its lovely but not exactly for me. Plus i use about 30% clean sound so i need to have that of being able to go back to crisp and delicate... if ya get me....

a DHA has always appealed to me, how far gain can they go? would anyone care to share some soundclips?[/quote]

Basically, if the windings in your pickup vibrate, it can act like a microphone and feedback in a horrible squealy way, independent of the strings. Leads and wiring can also do it.

With a DHA, you can cram another signal boost before it to really drive the nuts off it, not sure it will do what you are after though.

Have you tried putting one pedal in front of another? I switched in the OD on my MXR M80 with my Mastotron still on and it sounded immense!

Although you said no Fuzzes, one of my favourite pedals is my Danelectro Black Liqourice. If the octave switch was a footswitch and it didn't hum so much it'd be perfect, it's the heaviest sound i've had and the octave down is great on the A string and above. £12 posted from eBay too

No idea who Kurt Ballou or Converge are (you should post some clips) but this is pretty ridiculous yet defined! [url="http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=DirtyBomb"]$120 delivered[/url] (plus you won't get hit by customs charges :)) Edited by dannybuoy