Why become a member? ×

Adding dots to the fingerboard

franzbassist

Have you considered making temporary markings ? E.g. sticky labels from a stationers, should be pretty easy to mark up at least 3, 5, 7, 9 using the tuned strings as reference.

That should get you oriented, there then are some exercises that are specific to getting you shifting to the right locations.

If you can get by with temporary markings for a while till you have the muscle memory, then you'll have the advantage of being able to play (or at least make a start on) other peoples unmarked basses.

Andy

I'd recommend small stick on dots for starters - just four plus the octave, on the side. See how you get on, take them off after a few weeks and see if you still need them? I've got small discreet plastic dots on my EUB but I could probably do without them.

What are you looking at getting?

A friend of mine recently started on double bass after playing a fretted Precision, (and guitar and mandolin!), for the last 20 odd years. He bought himself one of those clip on tuners with a red/green backlight so he still had to work on positioning by feel and sound but he had the 'green light' in the corner of his eye when his intonation was dead on. It was only about 20 quid from Ebay, and he didn't get reliant on markings.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='610376' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:59 PM']Is that one visible in your avatar?[/quote]

Yes, thats one - on the side of the fingerboard up to the octave (fret positions 3 5 7 etc), then on the face for the thumb position, between D & G strings . Not that I ever go up there, but it seemed like a good idea when I ordered the bass. I played a Steinberger WAV last week - its got dots everywhere, but they are all on the face, even in the lower positions. I found it pretty disctracting.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='610617' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:08 AM']TBH I have never used them. I am a real stickler for tuning though It causes me grief if singers or horns or other strings are out of tune. I would be inclined to say that learning to rely on your ears is optimal, but I can see an argument for expedience.[/quote]

I'm been playing DB for about about 10 months, and I've tried the 'purist' approach of not using markers, and on the whole I'd recommend it. However, for gigs I find it sometimes difficult to hear myself as well as I'd like, so at the last gig I put a small piece of tape at the 'fifth fret' position just to use as a sanity check. I must look at one of those clip-on tuners as well - can someone give me the name of one that they like?

I've never used markers, but have a 'rule-of-thumb' approach combined with my not-especially-good ears and what's often referred to as muscle-memory (surely all memory resides in the brain :) ). I've always tuned my basses, found the harmonics and looked for any variations on the wood at the side of the neck to use as rough guides to the position of those harmonics. This has the advantage that you can't be tempted to use it as a complete substitute for your ears. That and the familiarity of using a favourite bass.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='610617' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:08 AM']TBH I have never used them. I am a real stickler for tuning though It causes me grief if singers or horns or other strings are out of tune. I would be inclined to say that learning to rely on your ears is optimal, but I can see an argument for expedience.[/quote]
I agree totally with jakesbass here. Use your ears, don't rely on looking at your fingers. Maybe just to get yourself going on DB you can make light pencil markings, but rub them off as soon as poss.
In fact one of the advantages of this instrument is that you can do it all by listening - you don't have to keep checking visually like you do on fretted BG when you make a big shift in position. This means you can keep your eye on the music / conductor /MD and the other musicians.
Train your ear as soon as poss - that would be my advice.

The Major

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand the snobbery associated with using tuning aids on fretless.

Fretlord do cool and cheap flourescent dot markers. Try these for fun.

And as for using your ears. I played so many gigs where I can just about hear myself over all the other instruments. In that case using your ear is no help.

Davo

As the OP, I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions and comments.

I've now been playing my EUB as often as I can for two weeks - I ended up getting an Aria instead of the Eminence I craved - and it came with side dots. However, to be totally honest, I hardly ever look at them!

I've always had good intonation on fretless bass and I guess this is carrying over to the upright. The biggest issue was the increased scale length, but even that has been less of an adjustment that I thought it would be.

Cheers

Gareth