Why become a member? ×

New bass!!!

JimBobTTD

[attachment=2467:HPIM2675.JPG]

Here she is! Got here today after a long journey, full of delays.

Strung her with Rotosounds (which I have now found out I do not like - and I have a second set of them! :) )

Sounds great, looks great...everything I could have wanted.

I have been lusting after one of these (on and off) since about 1992. Hurrah!

(quick edit for a typing error)

Edited by JimBobTTD

Thanks, folks. I have no real idea of her history, but she is in absolute unplayed condition with the exception of 3 small dings. Incredible, really. She must have been left under a bed for 20 years.

It's a shame really, as I got this bass to be my rehearsal and gigging bass. But I can't afford to buy things and not use them!

(A case is next on my shopping list!)

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='66002' date='Sep 26 2007, 05:31 PM']Thanks, folks. I have no real idea of her history, but she is in absolute unplayed condition with the exception of 3 small dings. Incredible, really. She must have been left under a bed for 20 years.

It's a shame really, as I got this bass to be my rehearsal and gigging bass. But I can't afford to buy things and not use them!

(A case is next on my shopping list!)[/quote]

Wow!

Let me know if you ever want to sell her on.....

Woh! Cool! It took me from 1989 to get my Jazz Bass Special! Mine's the active 'Power' version. It was the first and only Bass I wanted when I started playing.

Here's an old pic.. a bit large I'm afraid [url="http://www.danveall.co.uk/rig1.JPG"]http://www.danveall.co.uk/rig1.JPG[/url]

I got mine off ebay from a guy in the US. It is full of Mojo with wear and tear, but hey.. it is 18 Years old! (Interestingly I still have the magazine advert that I pulled out all thise years agho whilst I was salivating over this bass. The bass I own now was made in the same year.. and we think.. the same month as the article!!!!)

I don't think I'll ever use it to gig with, but I do like to tinker with it. Sits next to my 'John Deacon -a-like' 67 P bass - (well.. 70's CIJ!!!)

yowza, take that one to heart etc.

the J pickup looks closer to the bridge on the Jazz Special than on the Power Jazz Special (as well as the P being reversed on the power), and other fender PJ basses.
I guess that's what gives it that hollow wiry sound with both pickups on full as on the G N' R and Velvet Revolver albums.

check this out- the forthcoming Duff McKagan signature bass-
[url="http://www.meconline.co.uk/acatalog/info%5f0146500323%2ehtml"]http://www.meconline.co.uk/acatalog/info%5f0146500323%2ehtml[/url]

strangely the J pickup looks slightly closer to the neck - it's inline with the pickup selector switch.

[quote name='SJA' post='69016' date='Oct 3 2007, 12:27 PM']check this out- the forthcoming Duff McKagan signature bass-
[url="http://www.meconline.co.uk/acatalog/info%5f0146500323%2ehtml"]http://www.meconline.co.uk/acatalog/info%5f0146500323%2ehtml[/url]

strangely the J pickup looks slightly closer to the neck - it's inline with the pickup selector switch.[/quote]

That's GREAT news for me.... but maybe not for people with original ones....! hmmm...

So, I can get a brand new reissue one.... or it may drive down the prices of the originals so I could get one of those. Conversely, I guess......, it could increase demand for the originals?

Thoughts?

[quote name='cetera' post='69113' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:03 PM']it could increase demand for the originals?

Thoughts?[/quote]

I think the latter Gary, the old originals ones are always going to sought after especially with the new ones costing £700 !
The new Duff Sig model dosent even have Seymour Duncans fitted

• 2 weeks later...

Great basses, i had a fretless one when i was 17, before i realised it was what Duff used, i was well chuffed when i found out, sold it to get my faithful sonic blue mij jazz waaay back in the day now, and although my (now hugely modded) jazz is my baby, ive always wanted another one of those bad boys, heres a pic of me, n mine very early in the morning in a studio a loooong time ago now, in the heady days of grunge in case you cant tell! hehheh! I had stuck on a pick holder, replaced the bridge with the chunky one off my old kaman GTX 53 and colured the 'F' in on the knobs with tipp ex, al la our guitarists fender esprit ultra

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='77929' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:55 PM']Great basses, i had a fretless one when i was 17, before i realised it was what Duff used, i was well chuffed when i found out, sold it to get my faithful sonic blue mij jazz waaay back in the day now, and although my (now hugely modded) jazz is my baby, ive always wanted another one of those bad boys, heres a pic of me, n mine very early in the morning in a studio a loooong time ago now, in the heady days of grunge in case you cant tell! hehheh! I had stuck on a pick holder, replaced the bridge with the chunky one off my old kaman GTX 53 and colured the 'F' in on the knobs with tipp ex, al la our guitarists fender esprit ultra
[/quote]Hi gafbass02, which band did you play with at the time of the photo? You look familliar.