Why become a member? ×

Ashdown combo amp - my opinion

WonderHorse

I recently bought a Trace Elliot GP7SM 130 head and Marshall VBC412 off two members off here, but due to the fact I don't have a car at the moment I use the bass amp at the rehearsal studios with my new band.

Before I continue I'd like to say that despite having never tried an Ashdown before the first rehearsal I'd always thought they were a bit poo. Don't ask why, 'cos I don't know. Though I think it has something to do with the bassist from System of a Down using one.

Anyway, the sound guy pushes the combo (a 4x10/4x12. I've had a look on the website but it must be an old discontinued model) through the door and I'm slightly disappointed because of my aforementioned prejudice.

So I hesitantly plug my bass into the 'high' input option (there is a low and high input, could someone please explain the difference?), have a quick fiddle with the tone knobs, setting them up to my preferred EQ settings (boost mids, high mids and treble. Set the bass at just after midnight).

I was very impressed. I found the slider/knob EQ arrangement extremely easy to use. I also like the fact there is a 'grind' knob to dial in a bit of dirt. I like my bass to sound quite aggressive, with a boost on the mids and a bit on the treble. Sort of Geddy Lee, John Entwistle alike.

Cut a long story short I've had a few more practices with it and dialled in my sound a bit more using the sliders and I really, really like it. If I ever need to upgrade from my Trace I'll look at an Ashdown straight away. And they're British!

Can anyone explain to me what the sub-harmonic knob does?

Sorry for the rant. I felt it was necessary with all the Ashdown haters on here.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='604790' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:03 PM']So I hesitantly plug my bass into the 'high' input option (there is a low and high input, could someone please explain the difference?), have a quick fiddle with the tone knobs, setting them up to my preferred EQ settings (boost mids, high mids and treble. Set the bass at just after midnight).[/quote]

The high/low input is basically passive/active but I don't know which is which.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='606109' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:22 PM']I don't like the heads but the cabs are savage.[/quote]

i'm the other way round.

i find the newish ABM cabs to be really bad, the MAG cabs to be better and the older ABM cabs better again.

a friend had the newer ABM 8x10 and it was so dull and quiet IMO. i've never had a decent tone using the newer ABM cabs. too compact for any real big grunt.

Well after not exactly praising Ashdown in the past ive just got my MAG 307 C-115 back from one of the bands i play in.
Its on loan to the other bass players. Seems like the power stage packed up halfway through their gig on sat night.
:-(

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='604792' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:05 PM']The high/low input is basically passive/active but I don't know which is which.[/quote]

High = high input gain so you would use it with a lower output bass (usually, but not always, a passive bass).

Low = low gain, so you would use with a higher output (usually active) bass.

Effectively an active / passive option, but high / low is actually a more accurate desciption.

I used to gig with Ashdown stuff and always liked it. I switched to Mark Bass because its so much lighter, rather than any sound/tone/quality issues.