Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a fuzz!

M4L666

[quote name='M4L666' post='603120' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:19 PM']I am looking for a big, juicy Muse-esque fuzz sound. A blend knob would be nice but not needed.[/quote]

You ultimately want a Sovtek Big Muff. Other obvious choices are the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie 'B', Fuzzrocious Green Stache, or the EHX Bass Big Muff. But the recent EHX box is the last one I'd consider.

I snipped your budget out of your post because if it's that green Muff sound you want, your budget becomes fairly irrelevant given that only the EHX Bass Big Muff would turn up in your price bracket. Incidentally out of those pedals above the Pickle Pie 'B' and the EHX Bass Muff have blend knobs, the others don't. I can also vouch for the Pickle Pie 'B' being a bloody wonderful Muff-a-like and the blend on it works great. But if you have to order one expect delays - I don't think Matt is all that into making pedals full-time. But he does do quality work.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='603290' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:06 AM']You ultimately want a Sovtek Big Muff. Other obvious choices are the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie 'B', Fuzzrocious Green Stache, or the EHX Bass Big Muff. But the recent EHX box is the last one I'd consider.

I snipped your budget out of your post because if it's that green Muff sound you want, your budget becomes fairly irrelevant given that only the EHX Bass Big Muff would turn up in your price bracket. Incidentally out of those pedals above the Pickle Pie 'B' and the EHX Bass Muff have blend knobs, the others don't. I can also vouch for the Pickle Pie 'B' being a bloody wonderful Muff-a-like and the blend on it works great. But if you have to order one expect delays - I don't think Matt is all that into making pedals full-time. But he does do quality work.[/quote]

Are you referring to the EHX Bass Big Muff Pi? Cos I see no blend knob on that. And where can I get the Pickle Pie B off the internet?

[url="http://www.wrenandcuff.com"]Pickle Pie B here[/url]

the bbm has a blend (it's the 'dry' setting) but it's not adjustable. i'm actually in the position of deciding between the 2 at the moment, bought a bbm and will be with me tomorrow, i'll see how i get on with it before splurging on the pickle pie!

Edited by ase_one23

I know you said no 'torches but i use one with a vb jr and pretty much hit the muse nail on the head (or so i'm told.)
Couple it with an octave and you can easily get a sound that is pretty much identical to Fury.

Thought i'd through it out there.

Though from your budget the bass big muff would probs do it? I used to use a big muff running with a marshal guv'nor (again with the barge concepts blender) and got close.
The blowtorch works brilliantly for me though.

[quote name='ase_one23' post='603389' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:14 AM'][url="http://www.wrenandcuff.com"]Pickle Pie B here[/url]

the bbm has a blend (it's the 'dry' setting) but it's not adjustable.[/quote]

If you're on the 'dry' setting, the volume knob controls the amount of clean signal to distorted signal.

All the non-MXR (which is what matters) demos I have heard sound really dry and thin. I dunno if that's just bad camera quality, but it's a pretty a consistent problem. I'll check one out in a shop at some point.

Oh and could I use the distortion mode on an OC3 to achieve the same kind of sound?

Edited by M4L666

[quote name='M4L666' post='604797' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:07 PM']All the non-MXR (which is what matters) demos I have heard sound really dry and thin. I dunno if that's just bad camera quality, but it's a pretty a consistent problem. I'll check one out in a shop at some point.[/quote]
PLEASSSSSE don't judge a fuzz pedal by soundclips on the internet! Iv gone through a fair few, and IME i have found that, more so than any other type of effect, fuzz pedals vary wildly with your setup and, more importantly, your playing style. Unless you really cannot try one out, do not rule out pedals from sound clips.

Works both ways of course. I really liked the idea of the T rex Bass Juice, until i tried it out. Literally the worst pedal i have ever used, i preffered the distortion provided by my zoom 560 at the time.

[quote name='Kev' post='604810' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:13 PM']PLEASSSSSE don't judge a fuzz pedal by soundclips on the internet! Iv gone through a fair few, and IME i have found that, more so than any other type of effect, fuzz pedals vary wildly with your setup and, more importantly, your playing style. Unless you really cannot try one out, do not rule out pedals from sound clips.[/quote]

I can't agree more!

I heard nothing but cack about the Bass Blogger and the Internet snippits made it sound like a fart box. One went on eBay for £25 so I bought it on a punt and I bloody love it! It's my main overdrive, holds all the bottom end and the tone of the bass. Flick the switch over to it's fuzz setting and it's a bottom end monster! I particuarly like the fact that when in ' drive' mode the volume dial becomes redundent as it matches your input volume... Means if you take it out and about with you you don't have to fiddle about matching the volume to your amp.

And... It's well under your £70 budget leaving you beer money for after the gig!

[quote name='pete.young' post='604507' date='Sep 21 2009, 01:36 PM']If you're on the 'dry' setting, the volume knob controls the amount of clean signal to distorted signal.[/quote]

o really? great, the demos i watched didnt explain that, in fact i'm sure i saw one that said it was fixed level - well, mine should be here tomorrow, that makes it more likely i'll keep it!!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='605979' date='Sep 22 2009, 07:24 PM']I can't agree more!

I heard nothing but cack about the Bass Blogger and the Internet snippits made it sound like a fart box. One went on eBay for £25 so I bought it on a punt and I bloody love it! It's my main overdrive, holds all the bottom end and the tone of the bass. Flick the switch over to it's fuzz setting and it's a bottom end monster! I particuarly like the fact that when in ' drive' mode the volume dial becomes redundent as it matches your input volume... Means if you take it out and about with you you don't have to fiddle about matching the volume to your amp.

And... It's well under your £70 budget leaving you beer money for after the gig![/quote]

i like that demo with that bearded guy who loops the riff them drums over it - it's not going to displace my darkboost but i might buy one for fun (and in 20 years time it'll be a rare classic £££££££?!?!)

This may come as a surprise....

but Im using a (Standard, not bass orientated) Electro Harmonix Big Muff USA reissue. Many people dislike this pedal, but I actually love it....it's all down to personal preferance. But try one out in a guitar store, and see what you think. Heres a clip me testing out my Big Muff with the Bass: (its relitively poor quality...)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaWybYd0RVA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaWybYd0RVA[/url]

Hope this helps,

Josh