Why become a member? ×

Ever Embarrassed Yourself?

Pete Academy

[quote name='Sibob' post='601848' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:19 PM']Not so much me, but my mother! :)

Was having a quick chat about music with Richard Bona (as you do) at one of his shows at Pizza Express Jazz club in soho, pretty nervous you know, and my mum comes up and says to me mid-conversation....

"Tell Richard how many basses you have Simon"

She obviously had the best intentions, and was just trying to try and make me look like a 'serious bassist in the eyes of Mr Bona'......but I probably went a little red lol

Si[/quote]

Hahahaha I can defo hear my mum saying that!!!

Anyone heard of Charlie Moreno?
I met him at bass day2006(?)
bought a cd off him,after a mark bass demo, told him he was the best player on that day, and said good bye.
he said he and his mates were off for some lunch and I was welcome to join them if I wanted...err... Ive missed the point of this one havent I ?
anyway he was a true gentleman though.

Not me, but it did happen to friend of mine. He's a huge Billy Cobham fan and went to see him at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, problem was he took the wife. Whilst having their meal upstairs overlooking the stage, Billy Cobham passes by on his way to the dressing room only to have my mate's wife accost him and say "My husband is your biggest fan". He say's the earth couldn't open up and swallow him quickly enough.

[quote name='ezbass' post='602811' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:44 AM']Not me, but it did happen to friend of mine. He's a huge Billy Cobham fan and went to see him at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, problem was he took the wife. Whilst having their meal upstairs overlooking the stage, Billy Cobham passes by on his way to the dressing room only to have my mate's wife accost him and say "My husband is your biggest fan". He say's the earth couldn't open up and swallow him quickly enough.[/quote]
well intentioned dames!!
you'ze gotta love 'em!!! :)

Peter Hook was doing a DJ set a few years ago in Doncaster so I went (naturally) and asked him if I could have a pic with him. he agreed and he was a top bloke, I then went to pick my pint up to get out of the DJ box and spilt it all over the DJ box luckyly missing his cd's. I felt a right tit gurning my face off trying to wipe up the beer with my jacket.

Went to Go West in the midlands with an ex who was a big fan especially of Peter Cox. Stopped at services on the way back and Peter and Richard Drummie turn up just as shes using the coffee machine. Cue Peter to go over and help her press ONE button she had to press to get the drink while she gawped at him. Speechless and melted on the floor was how it looked.

The first time I ever saw Big Jim Sullivan play in a local boozer, I was so blown away I kept sucking at a bottle of Newcastle Brown absent mindedly while marvelling at his prowess. Come the end of the gig, the Broon had caught up with me. I was so awestruck that I shambled up to him and couldn't do anything but repeat "Mishterr Sullivan..." over and over while shaking my head in bemusement. He smiled kindly and eventually said "Jim will do, son".

I ended up gigging with him for a while and even did a couple of albums, but never sought to remind him of our first meeting.

However, on the plus side, the first time I met my hero Dave Pegg I must have kept it together, because when I asked if I could tape the show, he offered me a line from the mixer instead. Top geezer all round.

Oh, and Tony Hadley (we love him madly) wee'd on my shoe once. Probably by mistake.

*EDIT* A 'line from the mixer' merely refers to a stereo audio output, your honour...

Edited by bassninja

I was lucky enough to meet Nine Inch Nails before there last gig in Manchester, as well aseeting all the road crew. I had a good chat with the bass tech about how complex Justin's set up was and had loads of questions to ask him.

When I did, my questions came out a bit like 'pleh blah ahhhhhhhhh errrr.... Bye'. I am never lost for words....!

Then I met Trent Reznor and managed to muster, 'Hi, Im Shep', to which he replied 'i'm Trent, it's awesome to meet you, I hope you enjoy the show'.

I searched hard for the best statement to keep the thrilling conversation going and came up with, 'thanks, I will... Bye'

lol.

It was a surreal experience, but cool

[quote name='ezbass' post='602811' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:44 AM']Not me, but it did happen to friend of mine. He's a huge Billy Cobham fan and went to see him at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, problem was he took the wife. Whilst having their meal upstairs overlooking the stage, Billy Cobham passes by on his way to the dressing room only to have my mate's wife accost him and say "My husband is your biggest fan". He say's the earth couldn't open up and swallow him quickly enough.[/quote]

That, bless her, is exactly the kind of thing my wife would do.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='601895' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:03 AM']I don't think I've ever met any of my favourite bassists. Except Norwood, but I was chatting to Angelo (who's a top guy) so I didn't get a chance to speak to him.

I suppose Norman, Horace and both of the Bruces would be the players I grew up on, but I've never bumped into them and their bands had all broke up by the time I started going to gigs.[/quote]

Fishbone is RED HOT!!!

[quote name='barneyg42' post='603034' date='Sep 19 2009, 06:01 PM']Went to Go West in the midlands with an ex who was a big fan especially of Peter Cox. Stopped at services on the way back and Peter and Richard Drummie turn up just as shes using the coffee machine. Cue Peter to go over and help her press ONE button she had to press to get the drink while she gawped at him. Speechless and melted on the floor was how it looked.[/quote]

I think your ex may well be interested in PC's next venture - tba in the next couple of weeks. She doesn't live near Southampton by any chance, does she? :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='602514' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:31 PM']Again in the 80s, I was at a trade show on the Burns Bass stand. On that stand were alo those strange drums whose shells protruded out and those amps that Alan Holdsworth endorsed in those days (to be honest, Holdsworth is the king of endorsements), but I can't remember the names.

Anyway, I was browsing the Burns stand and picked up a bass. Suddenly, a guy approached me and asked if I would like to accompany Alan while he demo'ed the amps. The same guy also asked the drummer who was seated on the aforementioned kit (come to think of it, I think he was the srummer out of Supertramp and he invented this kit). This guy then said he was Alan's guitar tech and proceeded to tell us what Alan would be playiong and the chords involved. He rattled off a million jazz chords, and I just nodded. Anyway, on came Holdsworth. He started a chord progression and me and the drummer just stared at each other in disbelief. He attempted to play in time with Alan, and I just hit a few root nortes in the hope they might fit. After about 60 seconds Alan stopped playing and announced he was 'going to the bar'.[/quote]

I met Holdsworth when he played at the Guildhall in Newcastle around 1990ish. I was at Newcastle College on their "Jazz Degree" (my arse) course, in my first year. During the course of the gig I must've had 8 or 9 bottles of Brown Ale, just kept going back to the bar all through the gig. This is on top of all the real ale I'd had before the gig (in the Cooperage!). After the gig finished me and my mates stumbled straight across to the Red House which is right across the road from the Guildhall. The place was totally empty apart from, you guessed it, Alan Holdsworth and his band. I remember being about as drunk as I'd ever been up to then, and stumbling over to Holdsworth, where I proceded to go on and on and on about how great he was. I must've been at it for about 5 minutes, probably completely incoherent, when mid sentence, he slowly turned his back on me, Naboo style!

Obviously unable to learn a lesson I did the same thing on two different occasions to Rob Andrew and John Barnes, (both in Julies Nightclub!) Ahhh, good days!