Why become a member? ×

Ever had the urge to quit?

Jobiebass

[quote name='Tait' post='600712' date='Sep 16 2009, 08:53 PM']if you decide to sell, i'm afraid i dont have the £80.50 that has already been offered for the shuker. however, i do have half a packet of skittles if you're interested in a trade?[/quote]

Make it a mars bar and your on! I still have your address in my satnav I think too. Not from when I bought that cab off your dad.. I just like to pop over and stair through your windows at night sometimes. :) lolz

[b] Im not bad at copying bass lines that other people make, might take me a day or so to master it upto a few weeks for something complex.[/b]

If you can add drinking to excess and getting so pi**ed with the guitarist after the bands first gig that you walk home and forget to pick the fee up then you would be eminently qualified to be the bass player in my band. :rolleyes:

The Shuker is a thing of beauty, but alas it has twice as many pickups as I would know what to do with. It made my brain hurt when I bought my Ray cos' it had THREE knobs on it !! I decided to just turn them all full on and forget about them, that was 25 years ago. :)

Seriously though, your off abroad soon so it's moot, and you're probably a bit far away from me in Wigan but if you were closer I and my band would have no problems letting you do a couple or however many numbers that you'd had time to learn in our set at one of our gigs. In fact I'd be leaning to the last 3 so I could start the excessive drinking earlier than the guitarist. It really will open your eyes and give you a taste of what I personally think it's all about.

There must be someone in South Yorkshire on here who would do the same for you ??

If you pack it in before you've played in front of an audience I think that would be incredibly sad. :lol:

You need that spark to keep driving you on. I don't say you have to pick the bass up everyday anymore but you do need to see a return from it all in some form or another.

If you don't like listening to music and this is not just a period you are going through, I'd wonder what real interest you have in music...

Is it fun, are you inspired, do you want to do it...?? all sorts of things..
My mate just liked pulling women and the 'look at me, I'm on stage' thing...which is fine as it keeps him going after, what, 40 plus years....!!

To make decent inroads you need to be a bit obsessive at some point, IMV....

Just saying.. and it would be how I looked at it...

FWIW.. I stopped playing for more than few months and have just started back up playing and gigging ... I have put some good time in and whilst not quite ready for a real roasting on a dep gig, I could actually play it.. it is just that I don't want to invite the burn-out and the 'what the f*** am I doing here' type of thing.. and some gigs can just be a pile of poo anyway...

So, the first thing I'd do, is take yourself out of a depressing musical situation... but against that...you still need an outlet, I think...

go to a few jams... see if you can pick up a few other like minded people there....

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600724' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:01 PM']Make it a mars bar and your on! I still have your address in my satnav I think too. Not from when I bought that cab off your dad.. I just like to pop over and stair through your windows at night sometimes. :rolleyes: lolz[/quote]

Goodness you do need to get into a band..
The view from the stage is often a lot better than through Tait's windows at night from that parking space across the ... oh, hang on.. I mean, not that I know or anything ....

:)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600752' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:25 PM']Im slowly coming back to the idea of unpacking my gear again. not even been 24 hours.

Just read most of this [url="http://www.studybass.com/lessons/harmony/"]http://www.studybass.com/lessons/harmony/[/url] which kinda makes me wanna continue theory. Which makes me wanna play lol.[/quote]
I dip in and out of that site. I found it quite good, like i said previously wish the net had been around when i started

I did after a 'Jam Night' once, i'd played well enough. I had an idea in my head that I could be a scenster, just me and my bass, heading from jam to jam but i just decided I hated it, the scene, the scenesters and the try hards.

I had a really bad idea, that i thought was my future, and on the bus home, stoned and pissed, i got bogged down in it.

The next day, i stopped smoking weed and got on with life.

Now, i just wish my band would keep up with me.

I play at least 2 hours a day.

[quote name='JTUK' post='600833' date='Sep 16 2009, 10:30 PM']If you don't like listening to music and this is not just a period you are going through, I'd wonder what real interest you have in music...[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, I like music. But im not someone whos mad for it. generally because all the music now-a-days is not what I like. The odd few bands are ok like Arctic Monkeys early stuff (prob cause I live in and around Sheffield) and Kings of Leon are orate. Im much more into The doors, Iggy Pop, Stone roses, Frank Sinatra, Slayer, RHCP early stuff. so cause its all old music, I dont go to festivals or watch TV music stations or radio much.

Maybe you need a few lessons with a good teacher to give you some major
inspiration. Even if you learn something quite simple it may open your mind and give you
a new way of looking at things. A good lesson doesn't always have to be about technique and theory.
I still have a few lessons a year,just to get a different perspective on things and get some
new inspiration.

OK..you need a end result on your efforts...

I'd do a few jam sessions with some standard numbers that you can and like to play...

You'll need to know a few blues numbers, play them in any key...but that is easy beause it is just shapes and mostly different positions on the neck...and guitarists can't get out of the key of A anyway..:)

A decent swing number is good... a shuffle, etc...

Go and see what the deal is at a jam night, and then try and work up to the idea of doing one....

It is a time honoured way of networking and getting introduced...

I do think that every muso should gig...

lock your basses away.
sell the amps, they can be replaced.
spend the money on tickets to see music you like.
or music you don't know if you will like yet.
go to lots of stuff.
listen to lots of stuff.
fall in love with music again.

and then
and only then
when you're in love
then pick up the bass.
find people to play with, they will turn up.
If you can be part on making something you love it will be good, and you wont care if you play super complex basslines, or just hammer out root notes.

hahaha. I recorded a vid of my playing soul to squeeze on my webam which sounded terrible tone wise but did it to show I dont suck completely.. 3 hours it took to render because I cant figure out how to cut it down from a 550meg clip... played it and it was 4 mins of video crammed into 38 secs and the first 38 secs of sound. STUPID

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600237' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:20 PM']I used to get the odd day or two in the first 6 months of playing when I got frustrated that I couldnt do something and thought about quitting. But I rode it thru and ive been playing 4-5 years now and ive only just realised that im in no way musical. I dont understand music, I dont understand theory, I dont listen to much music and I do not have any sence of rythem.

Ive been glancing over to all the expensive kit I have in my room and I cant help thinking why do I bother? m not good enough to be in a half decent band, I cant write my own stuff unless you count roots, 3rds and 5ths so why do I have all this gear? ive seen less equipt bands blow my mind in pubs. Im never gonna use it to its full potential.

Really thinking about flogging it all and calling it a day.

(might buy an acoustic just incase I get bored tho) :)[/quote]

life is a curve...up and down
but it has a trend...and its always up..and ends in a coffin

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600237' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:20 PM']I dont listen to much music[/quote]

Is that actually true? If you're not all that interested in music how did you get obsessed by gear? I reckon you love it really but you're just going through a bored patch. Always keep at least one bass and amp.

[quote name='The Funk' post='601725' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:03 PM']If you're not all that interested in music how did you get obsessed by gear?[/quote]

Ooooh, it's so easy! GAS can strike anyone. The lure of shiny electronics is not confined to those who listen to hang around secondhand vinyl shops.

My recommendation to Jobiebass is to mix bass playing with dinner. Pick a couple friends who can bash different instruments (I assume you have a couple). Cook them tarragon chicken and then sit down over a bottle or 3 of red and maul a few tunes. I recommend 'It's Late' by Queen just because it's awesome.

Rotate around people's houses. Don't take too much gear. Once a month should do it.

Even if you still feel like jacking it in at least you've got some society out of it.

Jon

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600854' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:46 AM']Dont get me wrong, I like music. But im not someone whos mad for it. generally because all the music now-a-days is not what I like. The odd few bands are ok like Arctic Monkeys early stuff (prob cause I live in and around Sheffield) and Kings of Leon are orate. Im much more into The doors, Iggy Pop, Stone roses, Frank Sinatra, Slayer, RHCP early stuff. so cause its all old music, I dont go to festivals or watch TV music stations or radio much.[/quote]

Actually I think this is in complete contradiction with being not too interested in music.

I listened through 'Fugazi' and 'Misplaced Childhood' today and went 'damn, this new synth technology is really opening up new sounds 'n sh*t.'

point being, it's not what happens today, even if the scale of it is unprecedented. 80% of everything is crap, right? Guess if every record in the 70's was a shining beacon of the music of the spheres?

You know what you like, and John Q. Public disagrees. Well, as it happens, most players disagree with that dude. You didn't think we play 'hot stuff' and 'mustang Sally' 'coz we can't think of another tune to butcher?

point being, you can find lots of young people with same interests err anyways. Slayers sh*t hot among younger guitarists around here, so if you want to start covering them, buy some tickets and get over here. :)

Edited by nobody's prefect

I've kind of steared clear of this thread for a bit because I'm pretty much furious about recent events, well the last year to be precise.

I've just spent the best part of six months rehearsing with a Wishbone Ash Tribute Band, that to be honest was turning out to be very, very good. Then, just as we are about ready to gig one of the guitarists packs up because he does not have time for it (he's in two other bands) :rolleyes:
It's no good getting another guitard, because the stuff is very technical and the other guitarist says its going to be too hard. So, that's it then. To be fair, the pair of them are pretty decent guy's.
I wouldn't mind, but even he says the other 2 bands are crap, campared to what we were doing !

Prior to that, the last 3 bands I was in before that packed up for similar reasons after about a month each. :)

So I'm sat on about 4 grands worth of Basses and backline, and just wondering if I have the will to carry on with it, as I'm sick to the back teeth of being messed about.

About 15 years ago I went through a similar phase and sold all my stuff ( Jaydee Mark King and Trace Elliot AH250, 4x10 and 1x15 cabs) and regretted it.

Why oh why can't people get it into their heads that if they wan't to be in a band they will have to commit time to rehearse and have commitment to see it through.

Anyway, one more time, adds placed everywhere trying to find a decent band. :lol:

JB,

I think we all go through ebbs and flows of interest when you're a 'hobbyist'.

I'm generally interested in 'old' music (was there anything made after 1982?). Having said that I still listen to some newer stuff - generally because my 2 kids ram it down my throat on Spotify or suchlike - very ocasionally find a bassline that grabs me (like Juicebox for instance). For me bass playing is a social thing, I still play with my trio but we're all mates also and go outto watch bands, have a drink etc - it's not just the music.

Like anything, if you ain't having fun, put it away for a bit, but it sounds to me like the 'practicing with a few mates' thing isn't giving you what you're after at the mo and you need to get out and do something else. Do some jamnight stuff fo instance - never enough bassists about, always full of widdling guitarists for some reason. Don't get too introspective about your playing, I'm sure you're a lot better than you think you are. I've been playing too many years and I still get lost going past 12th and I've managed to survive somehow.

There's a good jamnight in Rotherham town centre (Snafu) on a Tuesday night - you'd get a warm welcome,

Cheers, MTB