Why become a member? ×

Thinking of importing a bass.

dirtylittleherbert

It works out to be around 23% of what you paid for the Bass AND the shipping cost,allow for 25%

And it helps to have the means to pay it on the doorstep when the bass is delivered,most comapnies won't give you the bass without the cash,I learnt that lesson hard,when I accounted for around £120 for Import duty,and the postie says "That'll be £194.44 please sir" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you buying new or secondhand?
If you're buying new then be aware that any manufacturers warranty you get won't be valid in this country.

Also, in case you don't know this, the VAT & import duty is calculated on the combined cost of the bass AND the postage.

[quote name='RhysP' post='600183' date='Sep 16 2009, 01:33 PM']Are you buying new or secondhand?
If you're buying new then be aware that any manufacturers warranty you get won't be valid in this country.

Also, in case you don't know this, the VAT & import duty is calculated on the combined cost of the bass AND the postage.[/quote]

Second hand, looking for a Stingray but there seems to be a shortgae on them on ebay at the moment for what Im willing to pay.

I have 2 Foderas that came from the US : i only paid 100€ fees for both, separating necks and bodies for shipping (insured around 500€ each), so no big deal with custodies, actually only the first neck got "caught"...
This means "no original HSC", but it's got to be taken into consideration, especially with bolt on necks... ^^

[quote name='dirtylittleherbert' post='600125' date='Sep 16 2009, 01:03 PM']From the US I know that I'll have to pay 3.9% plus vat (not sure if this is 15% for importing or 17.5%) and the the usual handling charge. Are there any other risks I should know about? I've put a post on a EB forum with the serial number just to make sure its a genuine guitar.[/quote]

Yes any warrantee is void -- Also, Do not use Bass Central (Florida) they know this and do not give a sh*t if you get a dud! (I know from bitter experience)

B

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='600612' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:12 PM']Yes any warrantee is void -- Also, Do not use Bass Central (Florida) they know this and do not give a sh*t if you get a dud! (I know from bitter experience)

B[/quote]

Cheers for all of the help boys and girls.

Im only looking for a 3eq stingray preferably in natural, but the colour is not that important as long as the condition is good.

What should I be looking to pay for one of these any ideas?

I have bought basses from the States in the past when the exchange rate was 2 dollars to the pound and scored some amazing deals. But with the rate the way it is at the moment, it's not really that cost effective - buying basses second hand on basschat is probably the best way to go at the moment.

Nick