Why become a member? ×

What exactly is a "jam night"?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598706' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:09 PM']Ok... next question then... does anybody know of any in the Glasgow area? I found a list of what was described as 'jam nights' but [b]they all turned out to be 'open mic' nights which I'm guessing is just singers.[/b][/quote]
Not necessarily. You need to go along and see what happens.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598706' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:09 PM']Ok... next question then... does anybody know of any in the Glasgow area? I found a list of what was described as 'jam nights' but they all turned out to be 'open mic' nights which I'm guessing is just singers.[/quote]
Keep us posted- I'm also interested.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='598714' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:13 PM']Keep us posted- I'm also interested.[/quote]

This is what I found.... some seem more likely than others but it's still a hell of a list...

[url="http://glasgow.openguide.co.uk/wiki/List_of_open_stage_events"]http://glasgow.openguide.co.uk/wiki/List_o...en_stage_events[/url]

I've been to the one at the QMU and the one at Nice'n'Sleazys, and also one at the Butterfly and Pig on Bath St (?) - they were mainly singer songwriter oriented, unless you brought your own band (which we did to varying degrees). Maybe I'll check some more out anyway.

Off to brush up my pentatonics... :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598582' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:35 PM']Jam nights are a bit like swinging parties..... I've never been, I don't *really* know what goes on, but I'm slightly intrigued.

I personally can't think of anything worse than going up on stage and playing something I don't know and haven't practiced. Is that what you are supposed to do? Sounds terrifying!!

Please explain :)[/quote]

It appears to me that lately, 'Jam Nights' are becoming a place for acoustic guitar playing singers to get up
and sing their 'original' songs,solo. Very little Jamming actually goes on.

As far as getting on stage and playing something you don't know...I've done it many times,only on actual gigs :rolleyes:

[quote name='Doddy' post='598734' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:36 PM']It appears to me that lately, 'Jam Nights' are becoming a place for acoustic guitar playing singers to get up
and sing their 'original' songs,solo. Very little Jamming actually goes on.

As far as getting on stage and playing something you don't know...I've done it many times,only on actual gigs :)[/quote]

This is true,kt tunstall types aplenty,it would be nice to have oblique strategy cards at jam nights where the next band can for instance only play reggae,the next funk,folk,etc.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='598750' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:51 PM']I like that idea with a second card for the key. Reggae in Dbm ..... mmmmmm.[/quote]

As long as it wasnt taken to seriously and each style was only suggested i think it could be a good laugh and also a learning experience for people.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598675' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:44 PM']Am I getting the impression here that Jam nights are really blues nights? :) (I think my band played a 12 bar blues song once!)[/quote]
If you're idea of fun is playing a bloody walking bassline while some fat old guitarist plays endless clichéd pentatonic solos then you'll have a blast.

If you detest the blues as much as I do then most jam nights are the Seventh Circle of Hell.

[quote name='RhysP' post='598786' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:26 PM']If you're idea of fun is playing a bloody walking bassline while some fat old guitarist plays endless clichéd pentatonic solos then you'll have a blast.

If you detest the blues as much as I do then most jam nights are the Seventh Circle of Hell.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a good blues song.... just the one possibly, though :)

I read Skank's comment as a continuation of yours, YouMa:
[quote]it would be nice to have oblique strategy cards at jam nights where the next band can for instance only play reggae,the next funk,folk, or maybe even some Brian Eno[/quote]
Hence my suggestion. Anyhoo, semantics aside, as an Eno fan myself, I heartily applaud the idea of an Oblique Jam Night. Let's do it!

[quote name='YouMa' post='598795' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:40 PM']Ah so your a fan to mr devlar. :)[/quote]
More the early pop stuff - The Seven Deadly Finns, Dead Finks Don't Talk - that sort of thing ... but he has purveyed a nice line in swoony tunes.

Possibly rather Obscure material for the Dog & Dick Jam night...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='598804' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:54 PM']I read Skank's comment as a continuation of yours, YouMa:

Hence my suggestion. Anyhoo, semantics aside, as an Eno fan myself, I heartily applaud the idea of an Oblique Jam Night. Let's do it![/quote]

I think he was actually selling packs of the cards on his website at one point,i wish someone would do a decent documentary on him hes a clever bloke.

[quote name='YouMa' post='598807' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:57 PM']I think he was actually selling packs of the cards on his website at one point,i wish someone would do a decent documentary on him hes a clever bloke.[/quote]

That's Eno, not me. Actually, I'd love to see Eno at a Jam Night. With his mates from The Portsmouth Sinfonia.

Changed my sig in tribute.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Doddy' post='598734' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:36 PM']It appears to me that lately, 'Jam Nights' are becoming a place for acoustic guitar playing singers to get up
and sing their 'original' songs,solo. Very little Jamming actually goes on.[/quote]

Ah, I see. Folk clubs used to be like this in the 1970s, except that they had guest artists who could actually play and sing too! Mostly.

[quote name='pete.young' post='598811' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:01 PM']Ah, I see. Folk clubs used to be like this in the 1970s, except that they had guest artists who could actually play and sing too! Mostly.[/quote]

I have got bert jansch live at the 12 bar its a beautiful album.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='598810' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:00 PM']That's Eno, not me. Actually, I'd love to see Eno at a Jam Night. With his mates from The Portsmouth Sinfonia.

Changed my sig in tribute.[/quote]

He would probably get barred for putting up some weird installation art in the beer garden.