Why become a member? ×

What exactly is a "jam night"?

thepurpleblob

Jam nights are a bit like swinging parties..... I've never been, I don't *really* know what goes on, but I'm slightly intrigued.

I personally can't think of anything worse than going up on stage and playing something I don't know and haven't practiced. Is that what you are supposed to do? Sounds terrifying!!

Please explain :)

Also called open mic nights,,Can be a little daunting at first...but its the best way to learn how to improvise...im going to an open mic night with lots of jazz musicians..cant wait because i will learn so much from more advanced musicians..

It really is playing on the fly..

Edited by bubinga5

Went to one in Airdrie a few years ago, me and my drummer mate. It was like a private club full of to**ers who all knew each other playing 12 bar blues for an hour. As we weren`t know, they didn`t really bother with us, so, we legged it and haven`t been to one since.

Having said that, I think that this was the crap end of the jam nights and you will find quite a lot of people who enjoy jamming and the people are nice and friendly. If you go to one just bluff it. I get away with it most weekends!

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='598604' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:50 PM']Went to one in Airdrie a few years ago, me and my drummer mate. It was like a private club full of to**ers who all knew each other playing 12 bar blues for an hour. As we weren`t know, they didn`t really bother with us, so, we legged it and haven`t been to one since.

Having said that, I think that this was the crap end of the jam nights and you will find quite a lot of people who enjoy jamming and the people are nice and friendly. If you go to one just bluff it. I get away with it most weekends!

Jez[/quote]

Can I go with you.... please!! Ha ha ha ha

I've been to a fair few, some out in the sticks, some in Liverpool city centre. They're widely varied from venue to venue and then from night to night within them venues.

My brother's band host a night in a local rock club/bar and the singer in that band does a "beginners" night too.

The beginners night can be pretty dire, but everyone has to start somewhere and I used to go to this night quite frequently. Everyone's friendly and dont give a damn if you make a mistake - the songs are often decided pretty impromptu and you play from memory!

The night the band hosts if a bit more "professional" - they play a few songs, then a guitarist might join them for a couple, someone takes over on bass for a few. Just rotating. Sometimes we'll be sat about talking about songs and we'll just decide to learn that for next week, so there's a bit more structure.

Sometimes they're busy, sometimes empty. I think the strength of the night depends on the people who attend.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598606' date='Sep 14 2009, 06:51 PM']A good point.... I have absolutely no concept of how to improvise. I wouldn't know where to start.[/quote]

Just learn the pentatonic blues scale first when they shout "its in A" move the scale to the 5th fret and stay within the confines of that scale,and move around in a pattern,that would be a good way to start,basic improvising is just adding little fills and random stuff really.

[quote name='YouMa' post='598634' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:19 PM']Just learn the pentatonic blues scale first when they shout "its in A" move the scale to the 5th fret and stay within the confines of that scale,and move around in a pattern,that would be a good way to start,basic improvising is just adding little fills and random stuff really.[/quote]

I didn't say I couldn't play at all. Ha ha ha. I've been playing for quite a few years now but only ever in covers bands and in an originals band where somebody else wrote the bass parts. I've never really had to improvise in any meaningful way.

Mind you that blues scale thing keeps coming up. Would you really just hammer that out regardless of the underlying chord (especially if it's major!) ??

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598642' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:25 PM']I didn't say I couldn't play at all. Ha ha ha. I've been playing for quite a few years now but only ever in covers bands and in an originals band where somebody else wrote the bass parts. I've never really had to improvise in any meaningful way.

Mind you that blues scale thing keeps coming up. Would you really just hammer that out regardless of the underlying chord (especially if it's major!) ??[/quote]

Well no,sorry i thought you knew nowt,i wasnt going to start trying to explain modes and stuff to you,if you know scales mate you can improvise its just feel,its all i do really :) until i have to actually learn a song for a cover.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='598653' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:30 PM']Sometimes it's all about jamming on songs... here's the last song of the night from an open-mic my mate runs round these parts.

Only some people knew the tune, but it's easy enough to pick up.

This is the appeal of these things, IMO.[/quote]

Interesting.... at the risk of laboring the point.... I've never heard that song before. "It's in G" would have got me to the end of the first bar, then I'd be fumbling to work out what the next chord was :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='598653' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:30 PM']Sometimes it's all about jamming on songs... here's the last song of the night from an open-mic my mate runs round these parts.

Only some people knew the tune, but it's easy enough to pick up.

This is the appeal of these things, IMO.[/quote]

Cool ,the band and easy riders a great film to,most jam nights i have been to have been contests in who can outwiddle each other.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598582' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:35 PM']I personally can't think of anything worse than going up on stage and playing something I don't know and haven't practiced. Is that what you are supposed to do? Sounds terrifying!!

Please explain :)[/quote]

Not sure the previous replies have actually answered your question.

Firstly, if you've really never done this before, then go along as audience rather than player. Don't take a bass, don't tell them you play. Just have a pint, look & listen.

If the mood takes you and you think "Christ! I could have done this!" then the house band bass player will usually be prepared to lend you his bass (it's part of the job description).

When you get to a jam intending to play, ask who's "running the list". Usually there will be a paper list in the keeping of the organiser, sometimes there's a blackboard (yuk), and sometimes the organiser just keeps it all in his head (double yuk).

What you want is to introduce yourself to the organiser, tell him what you play, and be completely honest with him. Tell him the sort of standard you play to, the sort of songs you can play, and ask him to put you up with people who'll help you - ideally it should be the house band.

Eventually your name will be called. You walk up on stage and plug in (having tuned up earlier of course), and there will be a quick whispered conference as to what you'll all play. Then away you go.

With that format, the emphasis is on songs which either (a) everyone knows ([i]Sweet Home Alabama, All Right Now, All Along The Watchtower[/i], etc.) or (:rolleyes: are easy to play if you don't know them (most 12-bar blues).

If you'd rather be prepared, then practice a specific slow blues ([i]Red House [/i]is a good call) and a specific fast rocker ([i]Johnny B Goode [/i]or something) and ask if you can just play those.

Be prepared to stand your ground. If one of the guitarists wants to do, say, [i]Little Wing [/i]and you don't know it, do NOT agree to "give it a try" ... you'll be crucified! Stick to what you know.

When I started going to jam nights (only a little over two years ago) I frequently got caught playing stuff I'd never heard. So after each jam night I went away and learned whatever song it was that I'd cocked up. Within a few months I had most of the regular songs sorted.

Good luck.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598658' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:35 PM']Interesting.... at the risk of laboring the point.... I've never heard that song before. "It's in G" would have got me to the end of the first bar, then I'd be fumbling to work out what the next chord was :)[/quote]
It's not always the case that anyone announces the key - sometimes the only clue is 'It goes like this -1-2-3-4' ..................

yeah I think jam nights are a good think, it certainly gave me a bit of confidence when it came to me playing in my band as i couldnt imagine ever playing infront of folk.

The jam i go to is in greenock in the argyll and sutherland bar on a friday and sunday, me and my brother in law who is also ma drummer enjoy going up, me and a few mates did: good times bad times, come together and hard to handle last night and it was really enjoyable mucking about.

So i give jam sessions a massive thumbs up, but only if the host band and crowd appreciate the punters doing a turn on stage

There's loads of open mic that centres around 12 bar which is a good place to start.

As a frightening point I was once in a band that went for 3.5yrs and only ever managed 7 rehearsals - if that doesn't test your ability to wing it I don't know what will!

I'm a big fan of Open Mic and they are always a great place to network

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='598664' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:38 PM']Not sure the previous replies have actually answered your question.

Firstly, if you've really never done this before, then go along as audience rather than player. Don't take a bass, don't tell them you play. Just have a pint, look & listen.

If the mood takes you and you think "Christ! I could have done this!" then the house band bass player will usually be prepared to lend you his bass (it's part of the job description).

When you get to a jam intending to play, ask who's "running the list". Usually there will be a paper list in the keeping of the organiser, sometimes there's a blackboard (yuk), and sometimes the organiser just keeps it all in his head (double yuk).

What you want is to introduce yourself to the organiser, tell him what you play, and be completely honest with him. Tell him the sort of standard you play to, the sort of songs you can play, and ask him to put you up with people who'll help you - ideally it should be the house band.

Eventually your name will be called. You walk up on stage and plug in (having tuned up earlier of course), and there will be a quick whispered conference as to what you'll all play. Then away you go.

With that format, the emphasis is on songs which either (a) everyone knows ([i]Sweet Home Alabama, All Right Now, All Along The Watchtower[/i], etc.) or (:rolleyes: are easy to play if you don't know them (most 12-bar blues).

If you'd rather be prepared, then practice a specific slow blues ([i]Red House [/i]is a good call) and a specific fast rocker ([i]Johnny B Goode [/i]or something) and ask if you can just play those.

Be prepared to stand your ground. If one of the guitarists wants to do, say, [i]Little Wing [/i]and you don't know it, do NOT agree to "give it a try" ... you'll be crucified! Stick to what you know.

When I started going to jam nights (only a little over two years ago) I frequently got caught playing stuff I'd never heard. So after each jam night I went away and learned whatever song it was that I'd cocked up. Within a few months I had most of the regular songs sorted.

Good luck.[/quote]

Cheers.

Am I getting the impression here that Jam nights are really blues nights? :) (I think my band played a 12 bar blues song once!)

I think these things can sometimes be more difficult as the bass player.

If you're a lead instrument - guitar maybe but definitely, say, saxophone - you can hang around playing nothing and then come in with the odd line here or there and maybe take a few bars solo. However, as the bass player there's a kind of requirement to keep playing and lay down some groove with the drummer (if there is one).

I usually don't look forward to going to these kinds of things to play but when I do I always enjoy it. I was at one with a mate from Leighton Buzzard only yesterday afternoon. Half the time I didn't know what I was doing, the other half I sounded good. Anyway, the audience seemed to like it.

You have to accept in advance that you will play some not so good notes - the trick is not to play those notes a second or especially a third time.

EDIT: Strangely, the half where I didn't know what I was doing was sometimes also the half where I sounded good.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598675' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:44 PM']Cheers.

Am I getting the impression here that Jam nights are really blues nights? :) (I think my band played a 12 bar blues song once!)[/quote]
Not always blues. The one I was at yesterday had a 'NO 12 BARS IN E' rule and hardly any of it was blues. Mind you, I forced them into Got My Mojo Working in E. :brow:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='598677' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:46 PM']I think these things can sometimes be more difficult as the bass player.

If you're a lead instrument - guitar maybe but definitely, say, saxophone - you can hang around playing nothing and then come in with the odd line here or there and maybe take a few bars solo. However, as the bass player there's a kind of requirement to keep playing and lay down some groove with the drummer (if there is one).

I usually don't look forward to going to these kinds of things to play but when I do I always enjoy it. I was at one with a mate from Leighton Buzzard only yesterday afternoon. Half the time I didn't know what I was doing, the other half I sounded good. Anyway, the audience seemed to like it.

You have to accept in advance that you will play some not so good notes - the trick is not to play those notes a second or especially a third time.[/quote]

+1 unless you are jaco and have a very loud amp jam nights tend to be dominated by A)Guitarists playing long solos. B)The people who organised the jam night.

[quote name='YouMa' post='598679' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:49 PM']+1 unless you are jaco and have a very loud amp jam nights tend to be dominated by [b]A)Guitarists playing long solos.[/b] B)The people who organised the jam night.[/quote]
Quite a long time ago I was the regular house bass player with my drummer mate at a blues night and if any the guitarists bored us we would just hit the turnaround three times and quit. Followed by the drummer shouting 'NEXT'. :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598582' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:35 PM']Jam nights are a bit like swinging parties..... I've never been, I don't *really* know what goes on, but I'm slightly intrigued.

I personally can't think of anything worse than going up on stage and playing something I don't know and haven't practiced. Is that what you are supposed to do? Sounds terrifying!!

Please explain :)[/quote]
It can be nerve racking but there's really no need for it to be. The worst thing that can happen is that you won't want to go again. The best thing is you'll get better.

If you go to one a few times to pick up on what songs get played, learn a couple of them, and then go back and ask to get up for those songs. You'll still need to adjust to how the song is played that night.

I used to play regularly at one in liverpool but that was more a case of turn up and a backline (amps n drums...and guitars if needed) were provided and just get up and play.

Either as a band, or solo, or at the end it could descend into a jam session.

They used to be great fun, most of my live played was done at open mic nights.

The one's i played at had a really friendly atmosphere and you get a good mix of bands, some really really good ones turn up, sometimes you get the same person playing the same song each week.

I'd say it's worth going to one.