Why become a member? ×

Mick Karn

bassatnight

Folks,

Just a wee heads up that the ex Japan Fretless wonder is realising his autobiography in November, should be a good read for us Bass players as Mick is a stunningly unique bassist.
I may have to dig out some old Japan albums to hear that lovely Wal Fretless and of course his old Travis Bean.

Steve.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='594709' date='Sep 10 2009, 01:20 PM']My recollection is Karn is completely untrained and doesn't know what he is doing, he just does it. Or was that just 'anti-establishment' posturing? Who care? He pushed the envelope and that is always a good thing. I'll read it.

And he had great taste in basses :)[/quote]

...but often no eyebrows...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='594709' date='Sep 10 2009, 01:20 PM']My recollection is Karn is completely untrained and doesn't know what he is doing, he just does it. Or was that just 'anti-establishment' posturing? Who care? He pushed the envelope and that is always a good thing. I'll read it.

+1. Class player, never really got the props

As far as I am concerned Mick Karn is probably the whole reason I decided to pick up a bass guitar.

I love the Japan stuff + Dali's car + Numan stuff

find the solo albums a bit tough going mind.

Thanks for the heads up about the autobiography...didn't know about that.

It's true that he has no idea what the notes are on the fretboard.

Check out his perfomance with Kate Bush at the '82 princes trust on youtube.

Travis Beans!!!

Hehehe!

Actually, Mick's main Wal bass has a unique African Tulip wood facing - its the only one in the world like it as Wal could only find one piece of said wood big enough to do one bass!

He's another bass legend, `My New Career' is one of my fave basslines.

Nick

+++1 I worship the guy (in a manly kind of way!).

[quote]Karn is completely untrained and doesn't know what he is doing[/quote]

Read an interview with him once and that's what he says. I also read somewhere (I think) that Joan Armatrading said he was the only fretless player she's ever played with who played in tune. He played on Hearts and Flowers.

It's that microtone stuff he excels at. And isn't that THE reason for playing fretless?

I am not worthy etc etc...

fatback