Why become a member? ×

My Jaydee Mark King Series 1

Mowac

[color="#0000FF"][/color]As promised are a few pics of my beloved Jaydee in pearl pink finish. It was made in 1987. As you can see, it was ordered with the rare 'infinity' inlays that I had never seen before I got my hands on this one. It is in near mint condition. I live in the U.S. so trying to find a Series 1 is like trying to find an honest car salesman. It didn't like the pearl pink color at first but after a while it grows on you. I'll post some of MK2 in cherry red in another post. Enjoy. :)

You can check out some videos of this bass here, you may have seen them before:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mowac&search_type=&aq=f"]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f[/url]

The pictures files are very large as I forgot to size them down so please be patient.
Keep on slappin'!

Edited by Mowac

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='577925' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:00 PM']Lovely bass!

The guy who had it built originally used to play at a Shadows meeting over in Warwickshire - he then sold it to Daveski on here and now its Mowacs!

Nice colour! My GA24 is more of a pinky lilac colour but not the standard lilac that John does![/quote]

That gentleman's name wouldn't be Mike Ellis by chance would it? I also have the original JAYDEE Certificate of Authenticity bearing that name in question with the serial number, year model, and John Diggins signature. It has a typo on it indicating that it's a Mark King Series 2 instead of a the Series 1. Can you tell me what kind of Jaydee bridge that this bass has as I haven't seen it on other Jaydees. (check picture of body) Does it come from the Sessions series?
I really do appreciate that bit of info you had on it. Since I'm 'across the pond' from you.....that was very helpful and I'll take any legitimate info I can get. Thanks.

Edited by Mowac

Yeah that was a lovely bass, but i sold it on as the series 1 is a bit to big and bulky for me! That is why i have a series 3 on order.
The Guy i bought it off had not played it in over 10 years, hence the condition and i only had it for four or five months. The Doctor nearly had this off me.....
Mowac wheres the original red Jaydee supernatural embossed case i sold it in, hope you still have it and i'm glad to see you are enjoying the bass.

[quote name='daveski' post='578023' date='Aug 23 2009, 02:04 AM']Yeah that was a lovely bass, but i sold it on as the series 1 is a bit to big and bulky for me! That is why i have a series 3 on order.
The Guy i bought it off had not played it in over 10 years, hence the condition and i only had it for four or five months. The Doctor nearly had this off me.....
Mowac wheres the original red Jaydee supernatural embossed case i sold it in, hope you still have it and i'm glad to see you are enjoying the bass.[/quote]

Greetings Daveski. I still have the old red Jaydee hardshell case but had a problem with the rubber gasket that lined the edge of the case as it wouldn't stay in place and it was stretched. Basically, I didn't trust the case. (You have to love that black shag carpeting the case came with....eh mate?) However, my '07 white Roadie that I have came in a hiscox case that was meant for a Series 1 but it was used for the Roadie when it left John Diggins shop. This case was too big for the Roadie, but a marriage made in heaven for the pink Series 1. (I don't like my instruments sliding back and forth inside the case.) I simply bought an aftermarket case for the Roadie and now all my Jaydees have a happy home. I love this bass! I take full pride of ownership in this gem. Thanks for the opportunity of owning my dream bass. I went to the annual guitar show in my area and I only saw 2 Jaydees in the show's history. Why?..Because I brought them! I get a kick out of educating other musicians about Jaydees because they haven't a clue what one is. Nearly all bassist in the U.S. are sold on the run-of-the-mill, production model, store-bought instruments and they are not the best of quality I might add. As for myself, I truly understand the quality and value of the U.K. made basses and the Jaydees are a prime example. To say that I got my hands on this bass before the 'Doctor' is a true understatement! Ya can't have them all, Doc! :)

[quote name='Mowac' post='578297' date='Aug 23 2009, 04:14 PM']To say that I got my hands on this bass before the 'Doctor' is a true understatement! Ya can't have them all, Doc! :)[/quote]

Heheh!

All basses come to me eventually, its like a law of attraction thing!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously - just to add about the bridge - funnily enough my GA24 has one the same - the saddles are not adjustable for height, unlike most of John's bridges (you can of course raise or lower the entire assembly as opposed to individual adjustments per string). Since John made basses to order, some exhibit such features - its a very solid design.

I don't know the name Mike Ellis but he was definitely the guy who sold it on Ebay originally as he'd said he'd had it custom made.

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='578651' date='Aug 23 2009, 06:01 PM']Heheh!

All basses come to me eventually, its like a law of attraction thing!!! :)

Seriously - just to add about the bridge - funnily enough my GA24 has one the same - the saddles are not adjustable for height, unlike most of John's bridges (you can of course raise or lower the entire assembly as opposed to individual adjustments per string). Since John made basses to order, some exhibit such features - its a very solid design.

I don't know the name Mike Ellis but he was definitely the guy who sold it on Ebay originally as he'd said he'd had it custom made.

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]
That's interesting to know about the bridge. It is a solid design like you said and you don't have to worry about the individual saddles falling out when changing strings like the traditional bridge design. Daveski said that the guy he got the bass from hadn't played the bass in 10 years which explains it's near mint condition. I don't know how long Daveski had the bass so I'm thinking I'm the third(?) (and the last) owner.

Best Regards!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='579733' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:02 AM']Very! Apart from the inlays! I remember the first time I saw that video - the pink JD looked incredible![/quote]

MB1. :)
....I did notice the custom inlays! :rolleyes:
...Princes Trust Blue was nice Too!...if not as Shocking!

[quote name='MB1' post='580646' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:20 PM']MB1. :)
....I did notice the custom inlays! :rolleyes:
...Princes Trust Blue was nice Too!...if not as Shocking![/quote]

That was a great bass too! Each star inlay had an LED in the centre allegedly - never really noticed them!

However, as far as I'm concerned, this was the definitive Jaydee bass......my old one!!! You may recognise it....

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='580874' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:55 AM']That was a great bass too! Each star inlay had an LED in the centre allegedly - never really noticed them!

However, as far as I'm concerned, this was the definitive Jaydee bass......my old one!!! You may recognise it....

[/quote]

MB1. :)
Hey Doc!
Your Old One!
Was this not the bass Mark put up as a prize in a competition in Musicians International magazine?....I know he originally signed it on the front in silver marker which was lacquered over. When i met Mark on the World Machine Tour i mentioned it as obviously i hadnt won it, He told me the guy who won the bass didnt actually play bass and had sold it to a shop....shortly after being presented with it,Mark saw it in the shop window and got polydor to get it back.....Is this the same bass?...does look like it!...

[quote name='MB1' post='580903' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:48 AM']MB1. :)
Hey Doc!
Your Old One!
Was this not the bass Mark put up as a prize in a competition in Musicians International magazine?....I know he originally signed it on the front in silver marker which was lacquered over. When i met Mark on the World Machine Tour i mentioned it as obviously i hadnt won it, He told me the guy who won the bass didnt actually play bass and had sold it to a shop....shortly after being presented with it,Mark saw it in the shop window and got polydor to get it back.....Is this the same bass?...does look like it!...[/quote]

Hallo MB1. The bass was originally bought by Mark off of one of John Diggin's work colleagues for £100. It was then Mark's main bass from around '84 till '87. I heard that it was auctioned off for charity, hence the `Love, Mark King, Level 42 '88' signature (which was indeed lacquered over). Not sure about the competition thing - might be the case! I tried tracking it down in 1999 and found it through a mate of mine (Ed `i owe you a pint' Partridge) down in Essex. It was a race against time as there were at least four guys after it - I got there first! It really was a superb bass, not just down to its history but the sound was incredible. I sold it to Morgan Roussel (www.level42.com - he has an incredible collection of ex-MK basses) in 2003 due to fiscal reasons (broke my heart but at least I was its keeper for a time!)

[quote name='Mowac' post='577785' date='Aug 22 2009, 01:12 PM'][color="#0000FF"][/color]As promised are a few pics of my beloved Jaydee in pearl pink finish. It was made in 1987. As you can see, it was ordered with the rare 'infinity' inlays that I had never seen before I got my hands on this one. It is in near mint condition. I live in the U.S. so trying to find a Series 1 is like trying to find an honest car salesman. It didn't like the pearl pink color at first but after a while it grows on you. I'll post some of MK2 in cherry red in another post. Enjoy. :)

You can check out some videos of this bass here, you may have seen them before:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mowac&search_type=&aq=f"]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f[/url]

The pictures files are very large as I forgot to size them down so please be patient.
Keep on slappin'![/quote]
Just a footnote:

I just found this the other day. This gentleman I met at the annual local guitar show in my area last year snapped a photo of me with my pearl pink Jaydee. Here is the link:

[url="http://www.grinningelk.com/diary_details.asp?id=9"]http://www.grinningelk.com/diary_details.asp?id=9[/url]

I believe I am officially an ambassador for Jaydee basses now in the U.S. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mowac

[quote name='MB1' post='580903' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:48 AM']MB1. :)
Hey Doc!
Your Old One!
Was this not the bass Mark put up as a prize in a competition in Musicians International magazine?....I know he originally signed it on the front in silver marker which was lacquered over. When i met Mark on the World Machine Tour i mentioned it as obviously i hadnt won it, He told me the guy who won the bass didnt actually play bass and had sold it to a shop....shortly after being presented with it,Mark saw it in the shop window and got polydor to get it back.....Is this the same bass?...does look like it!...[/quote]

Where is this bass now......? I very nearly bought this once upon a long ago.....

[quote name='Mowac' post='583637' date='Aug 28 2009, 03:28 PM']Just a footnote:

I just found this the other day. This gentleman I met at the annual local guitar show in my area last year snapped a photo of me with my pearl pink Jaydee. Here is the link:

[url="http://www.grinningelk.com/diary_details.asp?id=9"]http://www.grinningelk.com/diary_details.asp?id=9[/url]

I believe I am officially an ambassador for Jaydee basses now in the U.S. :)[/quote]

That guitar show looks like my house!!!