Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Suitcase

machinehead

Or is it?

Thinking of buying one of these little beasts.

Reasons are:

Main reason. Small combo amp for the living room so that partner stops yapping about gear all over the house. (Good thing)

Can use it on very small pub gigs. (If I'm honest with myself the LM II + Schroeder 1212L isn't big either and does all volumes at a gig but .....)

I've read that the PJB is a great amp for acoustic guitar and keyboards which gives it another use. (Although it might never happen)

I'm really trying to justify to myself spending the money so all advice appreciated. The one I'm looking at is second hand BTW.

If anyone actually has one, has heard one or used one, then, your opinions would be interesting. Are these as good as the reviews suggest.

Thanks for all replies.
Frank

Edited by machinehead

Frank

Sounds like a rather serious case of GAS. It's so easy to get carried away on this site, so may be worth asking yourself 'is it REALLY needed?'

[quote name='machinehead' post='61592' date='Sep 17 2007, 12:18 PM']If I'm honest with myself the LM II + Schroeder 1212L isn't big either and does all volumes at a gig but .....[/quote]

If you decide 'yes' then go for it (subject to reviews and all that), but I sensed from your post that you weren't 100% clear on that

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu. You read me well.

How I got into this was the partner was complaining for ages that we'd spent a lot of cash on the house and the room at the back had basses, acoustics, MM5, Warwick, a jazz, LP, sttrat, markbass cabs for a while Scroeder and markbass cabs (3 , markbass, now all sold, one was only 3 weeks old ffs .

Trying to get it down to one bass and a small practice amp. Rest stored in cloakroom, out of sight. Most practice amps aren't much smaller than the Schroeder cab but the PJB is a little smaller but the reviews suggest it' s a serious piece of kit also useful for smaller gigs.

I'm afraid I'll miss the LM II & Scroeder sound hense the cry for help. (I'd be keeping them as well as the PJB so there's alwaaaaays a way back)

Does that make any sense at all?? haha
Frank

I have just bought a 1212L and I'm over the moon about how small and light it is compared to my Ashdown MAG cabs. I must admit I'm surprised you're thinking of getting a PJB suitcase -Its actually about the same weight as the 1212L and the LMII together. I'd have thought the briefcase would be a more appropriate choice as its half the size. I'd probably get one of the smaller schroeder cabs like a mini10L+ to use with the LM in the house and for "acoustic" gigs if the missus complained about the 1212L being "on display".

I use a suitcase and 4B extension when required.

I did actually have it up for trade w/cash a few weeks ago as my financial situation was a bit poor, thankfully it is a little better now. I think I had convinced myself that I didn't like the amp so when I traded it I wouldn't be so upset, but after doing 3/4 gigs over the past fortnight, I have realised i really really do like these amps.

I had numerous complements on the sound, including a couple from sound engineers. I use a Ibanez GWB35 fretless through it as well as my 8 string guitar/bass. They both sound great and I am actually very happy that I get with my ibanez now I have had the chance to gig with it a few times.

It is not the loudest combo, but it has handled jazz gigs, latin gigs, a full on MMW style funk jam band gig and a more poppy/rock affair and easily kept up with the drummer. All this was just with the suitcase itself, but I would have preferred the 4B for the pop band one.

I have also tried a few different keyboards (nords, microsynth etc) and they are sound nice and clear, no distortion.

The two seperate eqs and inputs are great as well. Also, it is not actually that light really, but is easy to move about because of handle placement. Personally I also think that it is one of the best looking combos out there, a minor detail, but to some it is important. As a mini stack I think it's looks are unrivalled and the sound of the stack is nice and clear, punchy with a surprising amount of bass.

I would definately recommend the amp, but i would say try it first to see if it is for you.

Edited by Mikey D

Problem with getting anything to use as a practice amp/combo for guitar AND bass that may/may not double up for bigger stuff is that you rarely get the best of both worlds and often end up with the worst of each!

I tried a GK MB bass combo some years back and whilst fine for the house it never did cut it live (either bass or guitar), just about coping when mated with an extension bass cab... in which case I may as well have been using my bigger separates (amp and cab). I quickly established that a small unobtrusive guitar combo (Tech 21 60w 1x12) could cope with bass duties in the house and I could then use it for it's true purpose (a dedicated guitar combo) when the need arose. My bass gear is then solely dedicated and focused on being bass gear.

Just my thoughts you understand!

Thanks for all the good advice people.

The thought was for a practice combo. I had been looking at a few. I have no intention of getting rid of my main rig at all.

Thing is, this suitcase jobby is for sale locally at almost half new price. Now based on that, I thought, may as well spend the cash second hand on something decent (If indeed it is decent, which it seems to be from what's been posted on this thread) rather than on say, a new Roland cube etc.

But, I do take the point about the Suitcase maybe being underpowered and a compromise for guitar use.

I shall keep you updated if I decide to buy.

If I set myself a cash figure which it's worth to me, then it might simply come down to the negotiations over price? I could let that be the final decider.
Thanks again. You're a helpful bunch.

Frank

The suitcase for clean guitar sounds is absolutely great as an amp, especially for jazz. I play guitar and bass (I play a guitar with 3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings) through it at the same time and have a great sound on both.

If it is half price let me know if you don't want it, my mum may go and pik it up for me as a spare! :)

Well I tried it and I'm undecided. To me the sound was very clear and bright - not a bad thing, but lacked a certain sizzle in the sound. Not easy to express.

It can go deep as well. Surprising for its size. It isn't a loud combo though and I think it would be at full stretch if playing with a medium to loud drummer.

It would be fine for acoustic gigs and small pubs but it kind of sounded "small" if you know what I mean.

I might still go for it but only as a practice and rehearsal amp. I can't really see me wanting to gig it in preference to the LM II and 1212L Schroeder combination. Not really in the same league, (only IMO of course and agreeing that some people love them). We're all different in our tastes.

I've really decided to sleep on it and think about what use it would get if I did go ahead. After saying all that, for it's size it is a serious piece of kit.

Frank

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='63205' date='Sep 20 2007, 05:17 PM']If it's just for around the house and the schro'/LMII is for gigs why not go for a PJ briefcase, rather than suitcase? Just a thought....[/quote]

That's a good idea and I might end up doing that or... a markbass CMD121 combo which has a lot more volume for smaller gigs.

BTW, Mikey D, this is for sale at asking price of £400.. I asked the seller if he would post to england and he would be OK with that. I'll PM you his phone number and you can make him an offer if you're interested. the amp is A1 condition. Absolutely unmarked.

Frank

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='63205' date='Sep 20 2007, 05:17 PM']If it's just for around the house and the schro'/LMII is for gigs why not go for a PJ briefcase, rather than suitcase? Just a thought....[/quote]

FWIW, I played a Lakland 5502 and a Sandberg Ken Taylor through a PJ Briefcase recently, and although it sounded pretty good, I wouldn't think about gigging it, unless it was a really quiet gig or you had some PA support..., ideal size shape for home practice thought. I went for a GK MB150 eventually. Perfect balance of size/weight/sound/volume.

My LMK and Schroder lived out in the living room for a bit whilst I got used to it but it's now back in the music room (er understairs cupboard :) )
practice, rehearsal and acoustic gigs I have a 100 watt powered monitor with eq, from Skytec. It doubles as my stage vocal monitor as well .. and you could almost get 4 for the cost of that used PJB suitcase.

Hmmmm....I have the flightcase which is a wonderful little amp...more powerful than the briefcase (completely underpowered if you ask me), very light and sounds fab. I use for all my acoustic/upright gigs and some smaller electric ones two especially when I play softer music and doesn’t have to compete with Marshall stacks....I have played the suitcase with an extension cab and I think it sounds great. I wasn’t too convinced about its portability though as it is quite heavy and a bit awkward to carry thanks to the placement of the handles. For me a 300w amp is a bit over kill for home practice as missus E forces me to put on my cans anyway…..

The Briefcase is an excellent product - however IMO it has been replaced by the NEW Flight Case which is a bit more expensive and a bit bigger, BUT is lighter and more powerful than the Briefcase and sounds very impressive for its size! It sort of wedges in between the Briefcase and Suitcase being single channel but with 4 x neodymium speakers (2 upward firing) and 150w with no external speaker connection.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting one for upright and acoustic gigs, i play with a "turbo skiffle" outfit and we do a lot of busking gigs which can really end up wrecking my fingers, this seems to me to be the only battery powered bass amp worth having, having said that, im not aware of any others!

• 3 months later...

Ahhh, the flighcase! A week ago my 20 year old GK 200MB (the second of two the same age) finally gave up the ghost. In a hurry, I found myself driving to gutar guitar in Edinburgh the next day to take away a brand new Phil Jones Bass Flightcase. Its been less than a week but its been a busy week and I confess to having an enormous grin on my face. Most of my work is double bass with a piano trio or acoustic work with singers and acoustic instruments. If I'm in a big band I get the David Eden out, but this flightcase has totally woken up my brain.

I think PJB has addressed the real issues about the placement of bass sound and how to work it on stage and in a playing situation. I let the soundpeople worry about front of house and I concentrate on a full, beautiful sound for playing with. The PJB Flightcase has the extra power and deep bass to make you feel it, and standing next to a powerful drummer, it will not let you down. It has speakers on the front and the top with acoustic bass tubes designed to send the long bass waves out the front. The manual tells you to put the amp on the floor. If you stick it on a chair next to your ear, like we've all done with the little amps, the Flightcase will not work properly. It needs the floor, and possibly a wall right behind it; or even better, in a corner, because it uses these surfaces to support and project the bass frequencies. But having said that, you can plonk it down anywhere and just start playing and you will love the sound.

That is if you like a tight but well rounded bottom. The speakers sound great, the EQ is effective, I get a fantastic sound out of my old Jazz Bass as well, and I just look forward to using the damned thing. I am enthused by this amp.

You can check out their stuff from a technical point and read all the acoustic imagery yada yada yada, which I did and was impressed, but it was the first 3 seconds when I plugged my double bass in at the shop last saturday and played a low G, It went up both legs, circulated in my gut briefly before charging up and impressing my heart. My brain had no chance to offer an opinion, I had already bought the amp.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='tomlyne' post='112180' date='Jan 2 2008, 12:32 PM']I think PJB has addressed the real issues about the placement of bass sound and how to work it on stage and in a playing situation. I let the soundpeople worry about front of house and I concentrate on a full, beautiful sound for playing with. The PJB Flightcase has the extra power and deep bass to make you feel it, and standing next to a powerful drummer, it will not let you down. It has speakers on the front and the top with acoustic bass tubes designed to send the long bass waves out the front. The manual tells you to put the amp on the floor. If you stick it on a chair next to your ear, like we've all done with the little amps, the Flightcase will not work properly. It needs the floor, and possibly a wall right behind it; or even better, in a corner, because it uses these surfaces to support and project the bass frequencies. But having said that, you can plonk it down anywhere and just start playing and you will love the sound.[/quote]

same goes for the suitcase, I had mine about 2 feet away from the wall for about 18 months, it sounded fine but when I moved it back against the wall it totally changed the sound, suddenly the low bass come out perfectly without being boomy or muffled. I agree its great for small gigs (currently using in a venue that seats 40ish and its perfect for that at 3/4 volume) but i also used it on some big corporate gigs (200ish) last christmas and it worked well as a monitor. there's no real need for massive rigs anymore, it just ends going through the PA, there's an article in this or the previous months BGM about big rigs at festivals. I think PJB and TC electronic have the right idea about a small and great sounding rig that plays into your ears.