Why become a member? ×

Bass wah like the 105q (no toe switch) but not sucking tone?

1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='572670' date='Aug 18 2009, 10:19 AM']I love my 105q but it sucks so much tone I decided to get it in a looper... unless if I find a similar bass wah that doesn't suck tone! And no toe switch and no giant footprint.

Does it exist?[/quote]
you could true bypass it

[quote name='YouMa' post='577840' date='Aug 22 2009, 08:40 PM']If you look there are a couple of places on the web that show you how to do this but you will need a 9 pin dpdt foot switch,its not that difficult to do and makes a lot of difference.[/quote]
Surely if it's a footswitch, then you'd get rid of the automatic turnng on?

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='663140' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:31 PM']Sorry to mooch in here with a question when you posted looking for answers, but I'm considering a 105Q at the moment - is this tone-sucking a trait of all 105Qs?

Thanks,

Mark[/quote]

Apparently! Well I have one and it sounds good, and to be honest, I don't notice my tone changing that much. I've got a load of preamp goodness after it, and it's pretty much middle of my signal chain, so I've got stuff that doesn't need good tone to sound good (i.e. BMS, tuner, mute pedal) before it, so I'm not really ruining my tone with it in the signal chain, all the good tone-making pedals are after it.

[quote name='babaseen' post='663116' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:12 PM']Anyone tried the G-Lab Wowee Bass Wah RWW-1 from Poland?

G-Labs also has a true bypass pad that can be used with other wahs.[/quote]

Although I prefer the sound of the Wilson:

Edited by dannybuoy

The Morely PBA-2 and Dunlop 105Q are more or less the same price (€130-ish) - anything else I see specifically for bass seems to cost a lot more.

There's the EBS Wah One (€211), EBS Stanley Clarke wah (€292), G-Lab Wowee (€191), MSD Quakemachine (€266). All but the Quakemachine seem to have a similar footprint to the 105Q.

I have an old US bass mag (Guitar World's Bass Guitar?) that has a "review" of both the 105Q & PBA-2. Tripe so far as usefulness for a potential buyer is concerned, but one thing I did note was that the article mentioned nothing about either pedal sapping tone.

I tried a Morely Mark Tremonti guitar wah on my bass and the bottom end absolutely vanished (what a surprise . . .). The PBA-2 is obviously for bass, so shouldn't suffer the same problem, should it? Does it?

Doesn't the 105Q have some sort of thing where it only wahs the mids & highs, leaving the bottom end un-wahed? When folk talk of tone-sapping, is it the bottom end disappearing despite this, or is it noise being introduced, or what?

Personally, I like the size & style and ruggedness of the PBA-2, and if I was buying on looks alone, the Morely beats the white 105Q hands down.

I must ask my guitarist to dig out his 105Q for me to try next rehearsal.

Mark

Is this the Weeping Demon you mean? Is there another? Is it really good for bass?

[url="http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-WD7-Weeping-Demon-Wah-Pedal-102548674-i1124277.gc?CJAID=10449560&CJPID=1992680"]http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-WD7-Wee...p;CJPID=1992680[/url]

Gonna start reading up on it now.

I brought the 105Q home on Tuesday night and spent half an hour with it yesterday, and I'm at least sure I want to try others - I really didn't find any wah I liked, and I didn't like the feel of the action either. :)

Mark

That's the one!

I like these so much that i have two. bloody brilliant pedal - i can get a good geezer tone (NIB), all the way via Cliff esque sounds to a funky sweep not unlike some of the wowee clips posted above.

there are also two trim pots accessible from underneath the pedal, which adjust the sweep of the pedal - often forgotten, but very useful!

Well impressed with the sound of the Weeping Demon on bass at 5:50 or so in this clip:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EnKSkaymdA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EnKSkaymdA[/url]

Also like the instant wah-on when he steps on the pedal at 4:37 or so.

Seems pretty versatile. Pity they stuck the big awkward footswitch on the side like that, rather than using an integrated switch like the Morley wahs. Still a bit smaller than the Morley.

So come March (when we expect to have nailed a full setlist), my board should look something like this:

Mark

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='663336' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:44 PM'] [/quote]

By [b][u]GOD [/u][/b]that's a relief!

I watched that review last night, thinking: "Bloody hell, that's some of the tastiest playing I've heard in a while, and he's just demo-ing a bloody pedal FFS!"

I've only just realised who it is ... MarloweDK.

I don't feel quite so pathetic and inadequate any more. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='676828' date='Dec 7 2009, 05:04 PM']By [b][u]GOD [/u][/b]that's a relief!

I watched that review last night, thinking: "Bloody hell, that's some of the tastiest playing I've heard in a while, and he's just demo-ing a bloody pedal FFS!"

I've only just realised who it is ... MarloweDK.

I don't feel quite so pathetic and inadequate any more. :)[/quote]

THAT wah sounds awesome!
I've kinda stopped taking my wah to gigs and am now using a filter so I can carry a smaller pedalboard :-( but if I were to get one now, that would be the one!

Edited by 1976fenderhead