Why become a member? ×

Effects virgin

arabassist

Never used effects before - dont love 'em too much but i think it would be nice to hear sounds different to that of that of the (not-so-)beautiful tone of my squier jazz.

is there anything thats cheap and will give some distortion and overdrive? frankly ill try out anything thats cheap and make my bass sound more uber

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Behringer-LX1-B-Bass-V-Amp~ID~2284.asp"]this looks shecksee [/url] :brow:

I think a second hand Zoom B2 and a few hours playing around with various effects is a great way to get involved. Some time spent on Youtube and Electroharmonix and Boss website listening to the various clips of pro musicians demo-ing the various pedals should also give you a good idea of what is possible, then you are going to want to start spending.

I've tried various effects. I thought that the Zoom B21U was the best in terms of using with a band.
However, I recently got a Boss ME-50B and took it with me toband practice and already use it now for 3 songs.
If you just wanna use effects at home, the Boss ME-8B has loads of stuff.
The difference about seperate pedals v multieffects? With seperate boxes,you should know what particular sound you're after.
With multieffects,there are lots of good and lots of virtually unusable noises imho So you can find a setting or 2 that's right for you eventually

Or you could leave well alone and get a decent amp/cab etc.instead

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I'd second the second hand B2 route - loads of effects and enough parameters to tweak that you'll get a decent idea of what each effect is capable of. If possible though get one with the manual ( or download it) as I still get confused by the whole drive/mix section!

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='alexclaber' post='581351' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:26 PM']Cheap multi-FX to start out - best way to learn what does what. I started out with a Zoom 506 but I'm sure current cheap multi-FX sound far better!

Alex[/quote]
+1, also started on a 506 :) Get a B2, no questions, certainly at least as good if not better than the (more expensive) me50b for me sound wise, and its tuner is brilliant too!

Edited by Kev