Why become a member? ×

Moving from US to UK - help ensuring I don't fry my Mesa amp

patton63

It looks like I may be relocating from the US to the UK. I'd like to bring my Mesa Walkabout combo with me, but know that it isn't dual voltage. Any thoughts you can provide on what I can do to make can use the amp in England without frying it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

even though the above post doesn't initially seem that helpful, I would agree it is the best way to go...

It might be quite easy to fix as I doubt you have UK and US versions...that sounds too expensive a production and design issue..but of course, Mesa would put you right.

Oh..and buy loads of kit that is dual voltage... as U.S stuff is very expensive to what you are used to.. you'll be shocked..!!!!

You could make a fortune
:) :rolleyes:

I'll put an order in :lol:

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='569956' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:37 PM']It's easy enough to buy a voltage adapter here for it, you'll get a good one in Maplins for around £16. I bought one and use it for my Tascam USB interface which I bought in the US and have no problems with it whatsoever.[/quote]

that's slightly different though because it sounds to me like you need an adaptor for the power supply anyway to convert it to a low voltage from the mains so it doesn't really make much difference what the mains voltage is.

I'm sure you can get voltage converters for mains powered items though. Either that or replace the power transformer which might not be the best option for an expensive bass combo!

Why bring it?

Wouldn't you be better off selling it in the States, NOT paying to ship it over here, then buying something locally?

You'd be even better off selling it in the States, buying several multi-voltage micro-amps (e.g. Eden WTX series) which cost an absolute fortune over here, and then selling all but one at a huge profit.

Just saying ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='570060' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:07 PM']You'd be even better off selling it in the States, buying several multi-voltage micro-amps (e.g. Eden WTX series) which cost an absolute fortune over here, and then selling all but one at a huge profit.[/quote]

This is an excellent idea (although I'm sure HM Customs and Excise wouldn't approve! :) )

Alex

My old Bass 400+ could be adjusted for different mains voltages by simply swapping out a fuse. Not sure how their newer amps work, but it might just be a case of getting hold of some new fuses and a plug adapter - a couple of quid, if that.

I'll second asking Mesa though.