Why become a member? ×

Counting the days??

BIG.J

Has anyone had any experience using Christopher Woods Custom Guitar / Bass's?

He is situated in the US and agreed to build a custom headless neck for me last year, Once i had decided on specs i sent the required measurements and detailed pics etc to him with 50% of the adreed fee = $270 via Paypal!

This was all sent early September 2008. Since then i have sent a number of Emails REF = How things were going and requested pics etc as he usually posts a build diary on his website, His last reply was January 2009 which stated - The neck should be finished by Wednesday and there is an outstanding balance to pay prior to shipping!

My name is still on his current orders page but has always been lablled (Neck in Mid process etc) I have sent numerous Emails regarding updates and advising him i just want to see the Necks progress and if he is just waiting for the remaining balance then i will send it once happy with the neck etc.

Chris works mainly on his own using an assistant and has always made a point of saying, Answering dozens of Emails will take him a days work out of the workshop?

I am now getting worked up, Should i just wait it out and see what happens? Its been far too long to open a Paypal dispute!

Here is the Site = [url="http://www.christopherwoods.com/"]http://www.christopherwoods.com/[/url]

Any thoughts!

Justin. :)

Edited by BIG.J

Awkward seeing as he doesn't have a phone number. You could try a stealth mode plan and email him, pretending to be a new customer (with a new email addresss...I know, I'm sneaky this way) and ask for a phone number to call him to discuss your order. Then you'll maybe get a direct answer or at least a phone number to hand to authorities if it gets that far.

On the other hand, he could be a victim of the recession and finding it tough to get things going workwise - but that should be explained to you.

Thanks to everyone who replied, That Address & Number is a great help and i will try it ASAP, My order is on the Current orders page under one of the custom tabs! - J.Ryan

If all fails i will try using a new Email as a new customer!!!

Cheers

Justin.

His blog makes mention of some medical problems, amongst a general theme of problems slowing the work down. Recession? Overstretch? External issues? In any case, he should mention them - you are a paying customer, after all.

Let us know how you get on with this one.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='569030' date='Aug 14 2009, 02:06 PM']I would start using a web forum popular with the Californian biking community. I'd post a few contentious threads re: gang affilliations to see who the psychopaths are. I'd then PM one of these nut cases with an offer of $500 to go round and break the luthiers legs and/or fingers.

Glad I could help.[/quote]

LOVE IT!!! :)

Thanks fella's. Yes he did have a few medical issues and his new work shop went up last year, He did have a comments message board but removed it as a few customers were getting a little hot pretty much asking the same questions as me!!!

I will try and call him in a few hours as its around 7AM there now.

Cheers

Justin.

[quote name='BIG.J' post='571709' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:40 PM']Well, Still no reply!

I will try again tonight.[/quote]

I've found that, despite a strong customer service ethos in corporate USA, quite the opposite seems to exist in the smaller businesses. On more than few occasions I've been pretty much told to f**k off by very aggressive and reactive dealers, seemingly without reference to the fact that I've paid them money and they owe me the item or service. I generally now won't deal with individuals or small business over there. There are some great ones but there are some shocking ones also, and ebay feedback doesn't seem to discriminate between the two. As to whether you've been ripped off, I hope you haven't and that it's simply the case that the guy, like those I've mentioned above,m is a c**k who will happily take your money but who works on the basis of looking after the guy down the road who can come round and make life difficult ahead of looking after a customer in the UK who can't.

If you have been ripped off, and if it's anything like my experience, you probably have virtually no legal recourse (and he probably knows that), so I'd start to prepare yourself for the possibility. Clearly Paypal will be no help given the time that's passed, but at at least it will only cost you just under 20% what mine cost :)

Good luck

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='571861' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:07 PM']If you have been ripped off, and if it's anything like my experience, you probably have virtually no legal recourse (and he probably knows that), so I'd start to prepare yourself for the possibility. Clearly Paypal will be no help given the time that's passed, but at at least it will only cost you just under 20% what mine cost :)

Good luck

Chris[/quote]

To clarify, you have legal recourse of course, it would just be prohibitively expensive to pursue it. To quote the lovely guy who ripped me off "so sue me......"

Chris

IMHO...

11 months and no apology, no reasons, no contact...yes, you have been ripped off and by a guy that doesn't deserve to be in business. If he can find time to update his blog then he can put a couple of hours aside to answer his emails. If he is too ill then he should get someone to deal with it for him.

Being a small business man is no excuse for being rude and treating customers so badly.

Dealing with customers is a part of most businesses and arguably the biggest part. If he can't handle that then it is time to shut up shop and refund everybody.

[quote name='Beedster' post='571861' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:07 PM']I've found that, despite a strong customer service ethos in corporate USA, quite the opposite seems to exist in the smaller businesses. On more than few occasions I've been pretty much told to f**k off by very aggressive and reactive dealers, seemingly without reference to the fact that I've paid them money and they owe me the item or service. I generally now won't deal with individuals or small business over there. There are some great ones but there are some shocking ones also, and ebay feedback doesn't seem to discriminate between the two. As to whether you've been ripped off, I hope you haven't and that it's simply the case that the guy, like those I've mentioned above,m is a c**k who will happily take your money but who works on the basis of looking after the guy down the road who can come round and make life difficult ahead of looking after a customer in the UK who can't.

If you have been ripped off, and if it's anything like my experience, you probably have virtually no legal recourse (and he probably knows that), so I'd start to prepare yourself for the possibility. Clearly Paypal will be no help given the time that's passed, but at at least it will only cost you just under 20% what mine cost :)

Good luck

Chris[/quote]

Cheers Chris,

That just about sums it up! :rolleyes:

[quote name='paul h' post='571938' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:08 PM']IMHO...

11 months and no apology, no reasons, no contact...yes, you have been ripped off and by a guy that doesn't deserve to be in business. If he can find time to update his blog then he can put a couple of hours aside to answer his emails. If he is too ill then he should get someone to deal with it for him.

Being a small business man is no excuse for being rude and treating customers so badly.

Dealing with customers is a part of most businesses and arguably the biggest part. If he can't handle that then it is time to shut up shop and refund everybody.[/quote]

+1 on paul h's comments.

With small businesses customer service is paramount especially in this line of business.

11 months is ridiculous and there is only one excuse you could use to justify it ! and lets hope he isn't :)