Why become a member? ×

Shuker Basses

Musicman20

Never dealt with a custom builder before!

I am completely new too its. After everyone seemed to say how good Shuker was, I thought i'd ask about a Jazz bass, 70s pickup location, lots of binding. YUM!

Seems his prices are pretty damn good, and he is obviously an expert and a friendly chap :)

What can i expect from a Shuker compared to a Fender/Lakland/Sadowsky?

Thanks!

I have a Shuker JJ Burnel and have previously owned 2009 Fender Ps and Js. Although the latter are great basses, there is something about the Shuker that feels better quality, from the brass nut to the phenolic scratchplate (with neat little truss rod cover) and the thick paint finish. The p/ups are higher output than a US P and our drummer complemented me on the sound of the bass at our rehearsal last night. In short it feels how I imagine a Fender Custom Shop bass would feel ... but its British!

Edit: NE Lincolnshire is a long way from the SE but if you can make it to the bass bash you are welcome to have a play on my JJB

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='566156' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:26 PM']I have a Shuker JJ Burnel and have previously owned 2009 Fender Ps and Js. Although the latter are great basses, there is something about the Shuker that feels better quality, from the brass nut to the phenolic scratchplate (with neat little truss rod cover) and the thick paint finish. The p/ups are higher output than a US P and our drummer complemented me on the sound of the bass at our rehearsal last night. In short it feels how I imagine a Fender Custom Shop bass would feel ... but its British![/quote]

See that sounds great!

Do they hold their value-ish...assuming you get one thats a design people like?

Im after the ultimate 70s style Jazz, classic growl. The USA 75 Reissue Fender is not that much less than a custom Shuker! And, to be fair, with Fender my Jazz I have is spot on, so I dont see how another £500-£600 on another Fender will improve it.

[quote]Do they hold their value-ish...assuming you get one thats a design people like?

Im after the ultimate 70s style Jazz, classic growl. The USA 75 Reissue Fender is not that much less than a custom Shuker! And, to be fair, with Fender my Jazz I have is spot on, so I dont see how another £500-£600 on another Fender will improve it.[/quote]
No idea about value but I guess a classic design will hold its value better than a very-personally-specified custom .... but then again virtually no basses ever hold their new value.

A couple of guys on BC have Shuker Jazzes - I would shoot jonthebass a PM about his white/black/birdseye maple Jazz (think there's a pic in the Jazz gallery of the Shuker website)

[quote name='Clarky' post='566171' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:39 PM']No idea about value but I guess a classic design will hold its value better than a very-personally-specified custom .... but then again virtually no basses ever hold their new value.

A couple of guys on BC have Shuker Jazzes - I would shoot jonthebass a PM about his white/black/birdseye maple Jazz (think there's a pic in the Jazz gallery of the Shuker website)[/quote]

Cheers!

Just looked at the gallery....great looking basses...

About the B Bash....I probs wont be able to make it, but cheers anyway. Are you playing any gigs in LANDAN over August B/Hol weekend? I'm down there over that weekend. :)

[quote]Are you playing any gigs in LANDAN over August B/Hol weekend? I'm down there over that weekend. :)[/quote]
As it happens we are due to play the 12 Bar in Denmark Street on Sat 29th. Not sure I will bring JJB to that though as its practically the world's smallest stage and there is a big risk of dinging one's beloved (bass, not missus :rolleyes: )

Shuker basses are superb. The JJB is also an excellent bass. The neck is massive with wide string spacing, but it just feels so perfectly 'hand shaped'. Can't wait for mine :)

Jon is a great guy to deal with though. Tell him exactly what you want, and he'll make it. Just be sure you know exactly what you want. We're up Grimsby way again sometime quite soon - you can fanny round on mine for a bit. Might not be your cup of tea though. Infact, are your band playing it? I'm not sure :s

Tinman's in Lincs if you want to see a Shuker in the wood. It's not a jazz but you'll see how well he makes them.

+1 on you get what you ask for so be careful and do more thinking and trying things before you order.

re holding their price, wella Fender will always be easier to sell as people know what they are getting. A super jazz will be easier to sell than a full on personalised custom but you have to find the right person.

It's best to order thinking you'll never sell it. :)

BTW spend the extra and get the side LED's. Worth every penny of the uplift. Impresses the punters and guitarists too :rolleyes:

From my experience so far - you can expect a long wait :lol: :) :rolleyes:

Jon seems like a nice enough chap to deal wiith. To me he seems absolutely snowed under with orders but has been prompt at replying to my nagging emails :lol:

There doesn't seem to be any feature he's afraid to try and produce. I've got him making a multi-scale bass and that doesn't seem to have fazed him in the slightest.

Very reasonable prices generally. I asked for 2 quotes, one with a solid colour finish and another with fancy wood veneers, and was quite surprised how much more the fancy woods were. I'd recommend you contact him to throw some of your ideas out there and build up a spec for a quote - that costs nothing!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='566518' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:17 AM']No, even if just a normal jazz, it won't hold it's value well at all.[/quote]

That said, i just sold my Shuker 6 string for only £200 less than i bought it for at 2 1/2 years old.

[quote name='peted' post='566566' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:17 AM']From my experience so far - you can expect a long wait :lol: :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

And from mine its not too bad. My new build came in at 8 months which is around about what was quoted. I had a single cut elite built for me.

I'm expecting a slating for saying this but it does seem that the chaps who have the longest waits are the ones getting loads of pictures sent through for build diaries. I left him alone for the first 6 months of the build after discussing my spec in detail and it was ready on time...just.

Peace,
Rob

Edited by RobEvansBass

On production times I think the more complex the woods and the design the longer it takes. My JJB took only 3 months but is a solid colour and a standard design with readily available parts. I imagine a 70s style Jazz would be on the quicker side of average to build for the same reasons.

Edited by Clarky

Shuker basses are amazing!
Jon is a real craftsman and can pretty much build anything you can dream up plus his prices are more than reasonable, not sure how he does it!

I've had 2 of Jon's basses, the first is a 6 string 33" scale single-cut which is my go to bass, which I'll never ever part with.
The second was a 4 string 33" all black Jazz Bass, which unfortunately I had to let go just recently, as I discovered the wood choices and the whole Jazz Bass sound just wasn't me, no fault of Jon's though, he built me exactly what I asked for and it was an amazing bass, just not my bass...

Jon's timescales have gone a little bit off of late, partly down to the volume of work he's taken on, being flooded once, possibly twice and his assistant being off work for a prolonged amount of time, leaving Jon to do absolutely everything himself.
My 6 string was Jon's first bolt-on single-cut and his first 33" scale bass but he still managed to get it to me in about 12 weeks, however my arguably much simpler Jazz Bass took almost 11 months, but it was down to bad timing as detailed above.

Jon is an incredibly nice guy and a real pleasure to work with, the only issue I've ever had has been the speed of response by email and the occasional missed email too, but I'm sure everyone would agree, they'd prefer he channeled all his energy into making incredible basses rather than being brilliant at admin.

There are of course other bass builders out there and for a full on non-fender custom jobs I would make sure and look around to be sure you're getting exactly what you want, but if you're looking for a straight up super fender style bass I wouldn't bother knocking on anyone else's door.
I'm not sure how they'd compare to a Sadowsky, but I'm sure they'd give them a pretty good run for the money, with a lot more options and they work out a fair bit cheaper too.

As far as resale goes, I'm not sure a custom bass is ever really going to hold it's value that well.
It's usually a combination of irrational and entirely personal decisions that make someone's "dream bass", but quite often somebody's dream is somebody else's nightmare...
Obviously if you go down the more classic Jazz or Precision style bass you're more likely to get your money back than on something like my 6 string.
The resale on my Jazz Bass wasn't great, but again it was quite customised, 33" scale, slab body, quite specific wood choices and EMGs, but it found a good home where it's loved which I'm very pleased about.

That's my 2p then :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='RobEvansBass' post='566675' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:27 PM']it does seem that the chaps who have the longest waits are the ones getting loads of pictures sent through for build diaries.[/quote]

I left Jon alone pretty much for the Jazz Bass, think I got about 5 photos tops over the 11 month period, so I'm not sure that's a factor to be honest... :)

Eude

[quote name='Clarky' post='566224' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:59 PM']As it happens we are due to play the 12 Bar in Denmark Street on Sat 29th. Not sure I will bring JJB to that though as its practically the world's smallest stage and there is a big risk of dinging one's beloved (bass, not missus :) )[/quote]

Wicked. Ill speak to the missus and see if she fancies popping to come and see you guys. She likes her punk anyway.

[quote name='Finbar' post='566399' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:31 PM']Shuker basses are superb. The JJB is also an excellent bass. The neck is massive with wide string spacing, but it just feels so perfectly 'hand shaped'. Can't wait for mine :rolleyes:

Jon is a great guy to deal with though. Tell him exactly what you want, and he'll make it. Just be sure you know exactly what you want. We're up Grimsby way again sometime quite soon - you can fanny round on mine for a bit. Might not be your cup of tea though. Infact, are your band playing it? I'm not sure :s[/quote]

When are you playing?! Ill check and see if we are. We probably can play is there is a slot. Cheers! I've seen a few pics of your bass....great stuff! Are you getting a JJB too? :lol:

[quote name='OldGit' post='566405' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:43 PM']Tinman's in Lincs if you want to see a Shuker in the wood. It's not a jazz but you'll see how well he makes them.

+1 on you get what you ask for so be careful and do more thinking and trying things before you order.

re holding their price, wella Fender will always be easier to sell as people know what they are getting. A super jazz will be easier to sell than a full on personalised custom but you have to find the right person.

It's best to order thinking you'll never sell it. :lol:

BTW spend the extra and get the side LED's. Worth every penny of the uplift. Impresses the punters and guitarists too :lol:[/quote]

Good idea. I think I need to think a lot more first, thanks.

[quote name='eude' post='566745' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:40 PM']Shuker basses are amazing!
Jon is a real craftsman and can pretty much build anything you can dream up plus his prices are more than reasonable, not sure how he does it!

I've had 2 of Jon's basses, the first is a 6 string 33" scale single-cut which is my go to bass, which I'll never ever part with.
The second was a 4 string 33" all black Jazz Bass, which unfortunately I had to let go just recently, as I discovered the wood choices and the whole Jazz Bass sound just wasn't me, no fault of Jon's though, he built me exactly what I asked for and it was an amazing bass, just not my bass...

Jon's timescales have gone a little bit off of late, partly down to the volume of work he's taken on, being flooded once, possibly twice and his assistant being off work for a prolonged amount of time, leaving Jon to do absolutely everything himself.
My 6 string was Jon's first bolt-on single-cut and his first 33" scale bass but he still managed to get it to me in about 12 weeks, however my arguably much simpler Jazz Bass took almost 11 months, but it was down to bad timing as detailed above.

Jon is an incredibly nice guy and a real pleasure to work with, the only issue I've ever had has been the speed of response by email and the occasional missed email too, but I'm sure everyone would agree, they'd prefer he channeled all his energy into making incredible basses rather than being brilliant at admin.

There are of course other bass builders out there and for a full on non-fender custom jobs I would make sure and look around to be sure you're getting exactly what you want, but if you're looking for a straight up super fender style bass I wouldn't bother knocking on anyone else's door.
I'm not sure how they'd compare to a Sadowsky, but I'm sure they'd give them a pretty good run for the money, with a lot more options and they work out a fair bit cheaper too.

As far as resale goes, I'm not sure a custom bass is ever really going to hold it's value that well.
It's usually a combination of irrational and entirely personal decisions that make someone's "dream bass", but quite often somebody's dream is somebody else's nightmare...
Obviously if you go down the more classic Jazz or Precision style bass you're more likely to get your money back than on something like my 6 string.
The resale on my Jazz Bass wasn't great, but again it was quite customised, 33" scale, slab body, quite specific wood choices and EMGs, but it found a good home where it's loved which I'm very pleased about.

That's my 2p then :lol:

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

I thought it was a reasonable price as well. Im trying to think of my specs at the moment, and something that makes unique to me.

Cheers guys

I can only echo most of what has been said already. My bass is incredible. Jon did everything I asked for and then some and I can only add a big fat +1 to what OldGit said about side LEDs, to me they are priceless.

If you want to see mine in the flesh just drop me a PM.

Cheers

Pete

P.S I can hear the trample of Dood shaped feet :)

Edit: Check out this thread for some visuals etc [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25096&hl=shuker"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...6&hl=shuker[/url]

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='566518' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:17 AM']No, even if just a normal jazz, it won't hold it's value well at all.[/quote]

Actually the value will remain constant - ie top value - but the recognition of that value in a montary way will not.
Daft but true.

Oh a JJB P bass will hold it's value as it's recognised and in demand.

The only thing I would add to all the advice given here is to be bold but not outrageous when it comes to specifying a custom instrument. Be confident that what you want is what you want, but don't go overboard on things that may be a good idea but your not 100% convinced you need.

Trust your chosen luthier to help you with the choices that your unsure about - don't feel you have to have a definite idea about every little thing about your bass before you go and see them. IMO it's their job to help you fill in the gaps to get you the best possible instrument for your needs.

Also if you order a bass with one eye on the resale value, I can almost guarantee that you'll end up being disappointed and end up moving it on. Approach your custom build as a bass that is for you and not for anyone else. Don't make compromises.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='567056' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:03 PM']When are you playing?! Ill check and see if we are. We probably can play is there is a slot. Cheers! I've seen a few pics of your bass....great stuff! Are you getting a JJB too? :)[/quote]

My bass looks so much better in person than it does on the Shuker site, if that's where you've seen it. Those photos do it no justice. Yeah, I'd quite like a JJB, and I don't really know why - 4s and precisions are normally two things I heartily dislike! The date that we're up there is the 26th September. With Aorta and Push the Ghost. I'll have a nosy and see if there's another slot or not :rolleyes:

[quote name='Finbar' post='567556' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:33 AM']My bass looks so much better in person than it does on the Shuker site, if that's where you've seen it. Those photos do it no justice. Yeah, I'd quite like a JJB, and I don't really know why - 4s and precisions are normally two things I heartily dislike! The date that we're up there is the 26th September. With Aorta and Push the Ghost. I'll have a nosy and see if there's another slot or not :)[/quote]

Sounds good to me. I bet my drummers on holiday that week...probably why we arent playing. PTG are close friends of mine, nice lads. Ill come down to this one :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Tinman' post='567081' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:19 PM']P.S I can hear the trample of Dood shaped feet :)

Edit: Check out this thread for some visuals etc [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25096&hl=shuker"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...6&hl=shuker[/url][/quote]

Here I am! ;o)

Been a bit busy recently, sorry I missed the start of this one! WELL! What can I add? A great big '+1' from me on all counts. Jon is a top guy and a pleasure to deal with. His basses are just brilliant - and I am so happy to say that my pair are here to stay! I just wish he'd stop churning out more upon more unbelieveably gorgeous basses - it's not helping my attempt to stem the flow of G.A.S at all!! he he!!