Why become a member? ×

Shuker Basses

Musicman20

I had an electric upright built for me by Jon and it was flawless, beautiful piece of kit. It's now departed unfortunately.

I've also had a custom neck built by Jon for a Jazz bass and it's a beaut, lovely birdseye maple fingerboard, black binding, carbon rod reinforced, solid as hell!

Si

My Shuker 6 string headless is simply amazing, I can't recommend Jon enough. :)

So much so I'm going to phone him in the Morning and have a ride over to see him about building me another, yup, the GAS has got me again.

This time 6 string headed, Alembic ish type body, Pangborn ish type head. Cocobolo on the top and head, gold bling hardware. Not sure about the pups yet, or the woods for the neck or body, but it will have side leds, maybe red.

I'd rather wait a year for one of Jon's basses than have one made somewhere else and run the risk of not being 100% happy with it.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='589510' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:29 AM']I have this - which used to belong to Old Git

...and this, which used to belong to giblett....

I used to be sceptical about custom basses but these are the best two basses I've ever owned bar none. I'd love to have one built but I'm too impatient.[/quote]

I'm impatient too. And believe me it gets worse as it goes on. I considered a shuker when I was ordering a custom bass but I just fell in love with the ACG finn shape, the pics, also at the time people were talking about big delays in the shuker route. Had a chat with Alan and I was sold. I honestly cant see myself selling my acg and I dont even have it yet. Oh and I actually think Im going to miss asking about progress reports because you get such a good feeling when you hear whats recently occured. Not that I usually have to ask mind...

[quote name='charic' post='590671' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:27 PM']Oh and I actually think I'm going to miss asking about progress reports because you get such a good feeling when you hear whats recently occurred. Not that I usually have to ask mind...[/quote]

It's a bit like having a baby - months of expectation, a huge pain (in the wallet) as it arrives and then 6 or so weeks of people saying "ooooooh isn't it wonderful" and then it goes a bit quiet and you'll miss the expectation and the comments.
I'd recommend booking a load of gigs or jam sessions or rehearsals for weeks 6-10 to help you recover :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='566162' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:33 PM']Im after the ultimate 70s style Jazz, classic growl. The USA 75 Reissue Fender is not that much less than a custom Shuker! And, to be fair, with Fender my Jazz I have is spot on, so I dont see how another £500-£600 on another Fender will improve it.[/quote]
I've tried a 70's jazz made by Jon and it wasn't too bad in terms of replicating that sound although probably wasn't as bright as Marcus Millers bass. Jon's fender style basses generally are not as polite sounding as some high end jazzalikes because they have a robust lower midrange, but they are superb rock basses which is where Jon's personal taste in music lies anyway.