Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Rig.

Mr.T

Great. I've been following this one with special interest.

It's good to hear that you finally managed to find the sound you were looking for.

As for sound dispersion it is my understanding that Barefaced do that very well. At least that's true with my compact and I assume that would be the case with the Big One, more so with the added mids of the driver.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='575284' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:06 AM']3). Alex assures me that the horn in the BigOne will resovle this issue...
...Any thoughts?[/quote]

Yes, it's not a horn! It's a high output 6.5" midrange driver.

Have you tried playing CDs/MP3s through it? One of my tests is to plug an iPod and see how it sounds - "If You Have To Ask" was the test track this morning - am amazed how much cymbal sparkle that midrange driver can produce.

[quote name='JTUK' post='575360' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:04 PM']I like to hear how the sound develops over distance to get more of an idea of how it sounds to people 20-30 plus feet away...

If it sounds bassy at source...it might be booming mush in the audience.. just a thought...[/quote]

There is good logic behind this, but it's not due to the sound 'developing' with distance (this usually is said in reference to the lows). What's actually happening is up close you mostly hear the direct sound whilst at a large distance (indoors) you mostly hear the reflected (reverberant) sound. With a typical bass cab the reverberant sound will have much more bottom and much less midrange and top, because the dispersion narrows with increasing frequency so there are less mids and highs to reverberate. The Big One is specifically designed to address this issue so the direct and reflected sounds are much more similar to each other, hence more consistent response regardless of polar position or distance.

You will notice that if you play a gig outdoors without PA support that your sound will be much more consistent close up and at a distance due to the lack of reflecting surfaces - however without boundary reinforcement from walls you'll also notice that you need tons more speakerage to cope.

Alex

[quote name='charic' post='576020' date='Aug 20 2009, 08:13 PM']can i claim compensation? An amp would be ample, gk 700rbII will suffice.[/quote]

What are you gass-ing for?

I doubt you can claim compensation from me.... All I have done is moan about my problems! :)

• 1 month later...

I now have a few gigs (indoors and outdoors) under my belt with my new rig so I thought I'd report back.....

I am finally happy with my set-up!!! :)

I settled on:

Status > Sansamp VT > MarkBass LM2 > Ashdown 2x10 neo + Aggie GS112NT.

I am running the bass and amp set flat with absolutely no EQ'ing needed.
The VT pedal (which I keep on top of the amp) is set somewhere between 'SVT' and 'Flip-Top'... again with the EQ set flat!

My sound is not exactly the same as was with my old Trace, but it is definately my sound (If that makes sense?).
It is kind of like the Trace sound but with a bit more of a kick.... and I have more of everything on tap, should I need it.

So I have achieved what I set out to achieve, i.e:
A powerful rig that I can easily carry on my own..... without compromising 'my' sound.

None of this is meant as a negative reflection on the gear I have bought and sold, or tried out along the way.
I have learned that although my sound 'sounds' clean, it actually isn't clean at all.

Thanks again to everyone who has offered me their advice on what has been a slow, but informative and ultimately worthwhile journey.
....We got there in the end.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='558464' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:27 PM']By far the best sound I ever had was a Marshall VBA 400 all-valve beast. No messing with tone controls - just plug in and away you go. This was through my AShdown 4 x 8" and 1 x 15". However, the amp was basically atwo-man lift, so my back couldn't cope. I now use the same cabs with a Superfly head and I'm happy enough. I stand right by the cabs at ear height, so they are mainly monitoring, as we always use a PA rig.

I don't think you can beat big stuff, but my back doesn't agree.[/quote]

Yeah I`ve got this amp!!
I use it at 2ohms to power a schroeder 1212L and a 1515L- for smaller gigs I use my MarkBass LM2 and the 1212L

sufficient to say all you need is the light rig but the big rig is just amazing- relentless power and tone to die for

Bob