Why become a member? ×

5-string Semi-Acoustic Bass

BigRedX

I'm hankering after a really nice semi-acoustic bass with the following specs:

Must be 5-string

EB2 style double-cut body shape

At least 32" scale (would prefer 34")

Neck/body join that allows easy access to at least 17th fret.

So far all I can see is the Warwick Starbass II. Unfortunately the only example I've played (4 string bubinga fretless) had the most horrible sharp fingerboard edges, and if I'm going to be paying the sorts of prices that new Warwicks are currently demanding (over £2k) I expect it to be perfect out of the box and not require any further luthier attention to get it right. Plus I'd probably feel compelled to do something about the ugly headstock.

I've fired off an email to Chris Eccleshall to see if he would make me a 5-string version of the Peter Hook bass.

So what else is out there?

Thanks for those, unfortunately neither are at all what I'm looking for. I've played the Shuker Artist and it really didn't do it for me. I'm definitely looking for a more symmetrical EB2 style body. I'd consider a Lakland hollow body or a Jack Cassidy Sig Bass if either was available in a 5-string version, but I wouldn't want to go any more asymmetrical than that. Plus I simply don't get on with Fender-style bodies.

I'm sure that the Walbassist's acoustic bass is very nice but not at all what I'm looking for.

Any more ideas?

I'm looking into getting some laminated arch tops made as I want to build myself a range of semi acoustic basses with a Guild Starfire/ Gibson EB-2 symmetrical style (31" scale). The mould tool I'm making is for a narrow 4 string spacing but I'm sure a 5 string spacing wouldn't be too hard to work around as long as it wasn't ultra wide. The horns would have to be a bit longer if you wanted the full 34 inches (!), which might compromise the rounded semi look, unless you don't mind a bit of neck dive.

I have seen some cheapo 5 and 6 string semis on Ebay [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Hollow-Body-Guitar-New_W0QQitemZ360110480294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item53d841dba6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50#ht_2552wt_1161"]cheapo bass[/url] but if you've been looking at Warwick Starbasses these ones might seem a bit lacking in the quality department....

Interesting...

I'd settle for a shorter scale length than 34" (although I don't think I'd want to go below 32") provided that I had either tried one beforehand and was happy with the sound of the B string or if it was a custom build the luthier could guarantee a useable B as a condition of the spec.

The look is just important to me as the sound and playability. I already have a nice selection of 5-string basses that cover pretty much everything I need sonically, but I fancy something in an EB2 style to go with them.

As for that eBay bass... Looks pretty nasty as well as the fact that its a LP-style single cut. The other basses I use regularly are by Gus, Overwater, Pedulla and Sei. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I do expect a certain standard of fit and finish. I would also be happy to go custom, provided that the luthier has already made something similar before. I have no desire to be a beta-tester.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='550897' date='Jul 25 2009, 09:49 AM']I'm hankering after a really nice semi-acoustic bass with the following specs:

Must be 5-string

EB2 style double-cut body shape

At least 32" scale (would prefer 34")

Neck/body join that allows easy access to at least 17th fret.

So far all I can see is the Warwick Starbass II. Unfortunately the only example I've played (4 string bubinga fretless) had the most horrible sharp fingerboard edges, and if I'm going to be paying the sorts of prices that new Warwicks are currently demanding (over £2k) I expect it to be perfect out of the box and not require any further luthier attention to get it right. Plus I'd probably feel compelled to do something about the ugly headstock.

I've fired off an email to Chris Eccleshall to see if he would make me a 5-string version of the Peter Hook bass.

So what else is out there?[/quote]

How about the Washburn AB95 at [url="http://www.musicdeals.nl/product/washburn-ab95wa/"]725euros in the Netherlands[/url]:

Interesting...

Not 100% sold on the body shape. I really want an EB2 style double cut, but overall it's not bad. Model seems to be discontinued as it's not on the Washburn site. Anyone know what the scale length is, and if there's anywhere in the UK that's got one I can try?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='551491' date='Jul 25 2009, 11:43 PM']Interesting...

Not 100% sold on the body shape. I really want an EB2 style double cut, but overall it's not bad. Model seems to be discontinued as it's not on the Washburn site. Anyone know what the scale length is, and if there's anywhere in the UK that's got one I can try?[/quote]
They are fairly rare in UK I think. I've never seen one in the flesh.

Thanks for the suggestions. However the more I look at the alternatives, the more I'm convinced it has to be a EB2-style symmetrical (or near symmetrical) doublecut.

I've tried a couple of of Veillette basses in the past one was fantastic although it wouldn't fit the bill for what I'm after at the moment, the other I really couldn't get on with at all. Strange that.

TBH I've never looked at Godins before as I can't get past the 'Telecaster' shape which unfortunately I don't find in the slightest bit attractive.

Born 2B Mild. Has Jim Fleeting built anything like the kind of bass I'm after before? I couldn't see anything on his web site. His work looks stunning, but IME for the best results for a custom build you need to find a luthier who's already making something pretty close to what you have in mind.

Jim has existing designs for EA basses, both modern and traditional, though as far as I know he hasn't built one yet. He does build acoustic guitars, and is a bassist himself, so I'm sure he'd deliver what you want and to your exact design requirements.

If I was in your shoes, I'd draw up a spec, with some sketches or images of existing instruments that you want to use for design cues, then send this to three luthiers. One of them, at least, is likely to be on your wavelength.

Many thanks for that link. The bass is certainly closer to what I want than the other suggestions so far. Good upper fret access and a non-existent heel design - very smart! I'll be sending an email asking about one later today. However the string spacing would have to be changed for me. 13mm at the bridge is simply far too tight.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='553699' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:22 AM']Many thanks for that link. The bass is certainly closer to what I want than the other suggestions so far. Good upper fret access and a non-existent heel design - very smart! I'll be sending an email asking about one later today. However the string spacing would have to be changed for me. 13mm at the bridge is simply far too tight.[/quote]

No idea if you're still looking, but that bass reminded me of another bass that was designed for Carles Benavent ... this time built by Jerzy Drozd ... [url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/barcelona.htm"]LINK[/url]

Given your preference for near symmetrical, and the fact this thread was last updated 18 months ago, I suspect I'm way off target.

I'd welcome any other 5-string semi suggestions too (that's not really hijacking this thread is it ? :) )

Andy

[quote name='walbassist' post='1088024' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:09 PM']If you like my Archtop then check out Joe's newest bass, the Concorde, which Phil and I are guessing is a short scale hollowbody.

[/quote]

I'm not convinced it's short scale Gareth. I suspect it just looks a little that way thanks to the perspective of the photo. Anyhow, we'll know for certain soon enough once Joe & Co are back from NAMM.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='1088066' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:39 PM']I'm not convinced it's short scale Gareth. I suspect it just looks a little that way thanks to the perspective of the photo. Anyhow, we'll know for certain soon enough once Joe & Co are back from NAMM.

Phil[/quote]

Indeed. I meant to say that I suspected it to be short scale.