Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Piccolo Bass

benebass

Hi - bass was the first instrument I picked up and I've always found it difficult to make the transisiton to guitar - too many strings & not enough space for my fat fingers! However, I'd like an instrument to put over bass when I'm recording (not in a band at the mo). I had the idea of buying a cheap short scale bass & stringing it with piccolo bass strings to basically turn it into a big 4 string guitar. I was thinking that something semi-acoustic with a pretty close string spacing at the bridge might do the job - possibly a cheap violin bass copy or something like a Danelectro Longhorn. Is this a bad idea?

Cheers,

B.

Know what you mean about playing above the 12th fret & have done a few things with two tracks of low/high bass in the past. The big problem I've found is when you play a chordal bass part with open strings over the top of another bassline & you overlap the same octave range - can make it a bit undefined when you mix it down. Will have to take the plunge & give it a try, I guess...

B.

[quote name='bentdice' post='548378' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:57 PM']The big problem I've found is when you play a chordal bass part with open strings over the top of another bassline & you overlap the same octave range - can make it a bit undefined when you mix it down.[/quote]
perhaps try a capo on the 12th frets. would avoid the overlap when using open strings.

/insert tongue in cheek/

Still not sure what a 'piccolo bass' is. Surely 'bass' derives from the range of the instrument, so isn't a piccolo bass a contradiction in terms.

Have you considered of a ukelele? - available with the right number of strings and in the right register.

/remove tongue from cheek/

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='548490' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:54 AM']/insert tongue in cheek/

Still not sure what a 'piccolo bass' is. Surely 'bass' derives from the range of the instrument, so isn't a piccolo bass a contradiction in terms.

Have you considered of a ukelele? - available with the right number of strings and in the right register.

/remove tongue from cheek/[/quote]
Yeah - the term piccolo bass is total nonsense, isn't it!?! Like the idea of it though, as it would mean little adjustment in terms of fingering etc. compared to other instruments and the longer scale (compared to guitar) seems to give it a subtly different tone. There are a few things on You Tube where bass players are using them to basically play guitar solos, but I found this guy - he's getting an amazing set of tones from one: -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNwmwWX4LM&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNwmwWX4LM...feature=channel[/url]

Think I'll pass on the ukelele idea, thanks - too George Formby for my tastes :)

B.

I've got a Mo Clifton piccolo "travel" bass - five string, normal tuning but an octave up and a 24" scale. Its also fretless. Its a great little bass for noodling on..taking on trips etc I've also played it with an octave pedal and that works surprisingly well to give a bit more depth to the sound. Look em up?

[attachment=29436:DSCN1098.JPG]

Had a look at the Mo Clifton site - those basses look tasty, but a bit over my price range at the mo!

Been wondering about a Danelectro, but can't seem to find any short scale ones to try out. Longhorn basses always look a bit uncomfortable when I've seen people playing them - how do you find it lozbass? Also, what's the string spacing like on them?

Cheers - B.

I bought the Clifton used, for not much more than a Dano would be new...they do crop up sometimes. May be worth asking Mo if he knows anyone that might be selling ?

I've played a few of the longhorn reissues, they are pretty comfortable and very light. The build quality is basic, but ok and the sound is what it is.

Hi, as Bassbod says, the sound of a longhorn is what it is (to be honest, and in my opinion, the sound isn't great - quite hollow and clanky). However, the upside is that the basses are really comfortable, ridiculously light and super-easy to play - in fact, they're really good fun. The inherent tone of the bass isn't a big deal if you have good eq on an amp/desk etc. Also, with a decent effects unit (I've been using a bass pod pro xt and a Boss gt6b) you can get some great results. Try to get hold of a Dano on trial if you can - you're welcome to borrow mine if you can collect but I'm in Manchester.

[quote name='lozbass' post='549966' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:19 AM']Hi, as Bassbod says, the sound of a longhorn is what it is (to be honest, and in my opinion, the sound isn't great - quite hollow and clanky). However, the upside is that the basses are really comfortable, ridiculously light and super-easy to play - in fact, they're really good fun. The inherent tone of the bass isn't a big deal if you have good eq on an amp/desk etc. Also, with a decent effects unit (I've been using a bass pod pro xt and a Boss gt6b) you can get some great results. Try to get hold of a Dano on trial if you can - you're welcome to borrow mine if you can collect but I'm in Manchester.[/quote]
Thanks for the offer - very kind. However, I'm in Newcastle & rarely make it over your side of the Pennines.

From your description, I think the Longhorn strung an octave up will give me exactly what I'm after. Will have to battle the emo kids tomorrow & try to track down a Dano bass in a shop round here...

Cheers - B.

Hi, good luck with the emo kids - Manchester is full of them on a Saturday too but they seem like a reasonably friendly bunch. If you're interested in a Dano, let me know as mine may be up for sale - I'm clearing a lot of basses and other gear at the moment (see my recent ads) and my short-scale needs are probably about satisfied. I don't tune the bass an octave above normal, but using lighter strings from a baritone (6) set would probably facilitate this. Alternatively, have you thought about a baritone guitar?

[quote name='bentdice' post='550468' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:33 PM']Thanks for the offer - very kind. However, I'm in Newcastle & rarely make it over your side of the Pennines.

From your description, I think the Longhorn strung an octave up will give me exactly what I'm after. Will have to battle the emo kids tomorrow & try to track down a Dano bass in a shop round here...

Cheers - B.[/quote]

[quote name='lozbass' post='550909' date='Jul 25 2009, 10:00 AM']Hi, good luck with the emo kids - Manchester is full of them on a Saturday too but they seem like a reasonably friendly bunch. If you're interested in a Dano, let me know as mine may be up for sale - I'm clearing a lot of basses and other gear at the moment (see my recent ads) and my short-scale needs are probably about satisfied. I don't tune the bass an octave above normal, but using lighter strings from a baritone (6) set would probably facilitate this. Alternatively, have you thought about a baritone guitar?[/quote]
Decided to leave the emo kids to it this afternoon - will go on my Dano mission next week. Had a go on a baritone guitar a while ago & loved the sound, but it's the 4 string neck I'm after. Been tempted by a Longhorn Bass I've found online, so give me a shout if you decide to sell yours - what colour is it?

Cheers - B.

[quote name='bentdice' post='551254' date='Jul 25 2009, 05:52 PM']Decided to leave the emo kids to it this afternoon - will go on my Dano mission next week. Had a go on a baritone guitar a while ago & loved the sound, but it's the 4 string neck I'm after. Been tempted by a Longhorn Bass I've found online, so give me a shout if you decide to sell yours - what colour is it?

Cheers - B.[/quote]

Hi, mine is up for grabs if you want it - I just haven't got round to advertising. It's a variant of seafoam green - it's not in bad condition at all but has a few scratches and a bit of player wear (nothing nasty or down to the wood). The only other slight problem is a missing tuner ferrule - I didn't notice until I re-strung recently so it doesn't affect performance. I'll pm with further details.

[quote name='lozbass' post='551585' date='Jul 26 2009, 08:53 AM']Hi, mine is up for grabs if you want it - I just haven't got round to advertising. It's a variant of seafoam green - it's not in bad condition at all but has a few scratches and a bit of player wear (nothing nasty or down to the wood). The only other slight problem is a missing tuner ferrule - I didn't notice until I re-strung recently so it doesn't affect performance. I'll pm with further details.[/quote]
PM'd back

• 4 weeks later...

Ummm...what it came with? I really don't know what they are. At a guess they are the bottom four of a heavy-ish guitar set, but the "low B" is bigger than a normal guitar string. Next time I talk to Mo I'll ask him - chances are he has them made by Picato.

Stanley Clarke, surely one of the most respected of all bass player, regularly plays a piccolo bass.

But a much more interesting exponent is Foley, who played with Miles Davis for a couple of years before Miles died.

Miles Davis said that Foley was the guitarist he had always been looking for.

I'm looking forward to seeing Marcus Miller later on this year reprising TUTU the Miles Davis album that totally astonished me when it was released. I'm hoping that Marcus uses the later incarnations of the Miles Davis band when he is performing it in London later on this year. I really really hope that includes Foley.

Anyone interested in this guy should Google him, he has a fascinating web site, with incredibly interesting interviews.

Finally, both Stanley and Foley had totally different approaches to playing the piccolo bass. Stanley I believe used his trade mark Short Scale Alembic tuned an Octave up.

Foley seems to use a headless short scale bass, with guitar strings, with loads of overdrive, and plays it like a regular guitar player would. I assume he enjoyed the longer scale length, and the wider string spacing, both are monster players and soloists.

I would suggest ignoring the word BASS, and just enjoy 2 incredibly talented and inventive musicians doing their individual thing.

Edited by Phantom Power

Yes, these instruments are not basses at all, but I've been messing around with some D'Addario piccolo bass strings on a full scale bass recently & it's been a lot of fun to be honest! Even unplugged you can hear the difference in tone compared to a six string guitar - it's really full. The D'Addarios feels a bit strange at first as the G isn't wound & they're quite high tension, but you soon get used to it. Guitars have never really felt comfy to me once I started playing playing bass & I've been after an instrument to go over my basslines when I'm recording in the house for a while. I reckon a shorter scale bass strung with piccolo strings would hit the spot as it would make the streches easier, but as it's an octave up I'm hoping there's less of the dodgy intonation that you can find with a short scale bass when you're past the 12th fret...

That Manobass looks great, but strangely the Manne guitars site is listed as harmful on Google (must be adware or something). Is it a production model or a one-off?

Cheers,

B.