Why become a member? ×

Tim Commerford and RATM

TDM

That first album was the album I learned to play with. The old cliche; running home from school cos I couldn't wait to plug in and rock out. I used to put the album on and play all the tracks through, start to finish. IMHO they are one of the best bands to pick up the bass to. They groove really hard, the riffs are easy enough to learn but really need to be locked in to feel right, and once you've nailed them then the sound of your basic pentatonic scales will be ingrained in your ear, even if you've never considered it. Bloody excellent material for an upcoming newbie. I definitely would not be the bassist I am today were it not for RATM.

Cheers,
JP

There's one bass sound (that's used a couple of times) on Renegades that sounds like he's deffinitely torn a speaker. It's amazing!!!

Battle of LA is a great album, but the more I listen to it, the more I think it's a bit "over produced".

Love the distorted tone at the beginning of Wind Below on Evil Empire, sounds great. This is quite interesting (if no ones posted it already) [url="http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=75"]http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=75[/url]

Oooh i like this thread! :rolleyes:

Know your enemy is the single reason i picked up a bass.
Which is weird since ive been into rage since my sister was young! Shes like 28 now.... she somehow had one of the demo's which she binned. Got it downloaded now but still :)

I saw them at titp last year and at leeds a few weeks (or months) later.

The gig at T was the best show ive ever seen. Nearly passed out, but still fantastic!

Also it is possible to sound "like" the first album (not exactly of course) by using a jazz of some kind (i use my lakland) into an svt 4 with a blender and an original guv'nor.
I spent hours faffing getting a tone sorta like it.

I once sa a video for Know your Enemy where Tim was using a Ricky, a 4001 by the looks of it.
Am I making this up, or has anyone else seen it?

Edit:
It was actually Killing in the Name.
at about 1:17.
thats definatly a ricky headstock, never seen it mentioned anywhere...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuOAY-S6OY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuOAY-S6OY[/url]

Edited by Matty

me and my guitarist were saying we should do a RATM cover in our band, then a guitar teacher we know told us the same thing. i'm thinking take the power back, problem is, then we've gotta tune to drop D. and other suggestions? gotta be lively and fun, but not too much swearing, so thats killing in the name of out. and preferably from the RATM album, because they're the ones everyone knows. bombtrack maybe, but its a bit boring. know your enemy? does anyone play any of these? what goes down well?

btw, i'm a massive fan of RATM, or their self titled album at least. i've got evil empire, RATM, renegades, battle of LA and live at the grand olympic on my PC (is that all of their albums? i dunno, their the only ones i could find to download), but tbh, although i've listened to the others, their self titled album is the one i keep going back to. there are some brilliant songs on the other albums, sleep now in the fire, kick out the jams, how could i just kill a man, guerilla radio, people of the sun to name a few off the top of my head, but RATM is the only album i could listen to all the way through and not get bored.

I play in a RATM tribute, it's great fun, some fantastic bass work on those albums.

The stuff that goes down best is every thing off the first album, most peeps don't seem to know the later stuff. It's a shame as there are some great songs later in their career. How ever most promoters at bigger venues want two hours worth of stuff, so we play most of their tracks.

Playing RATM energetically for two hours is a bit of a killer though, there is a reason Rage don't play for that long often:)

[quote name='Tait' post='550770' date='Jul 25 2009, 01:08 AM']me and my guitarist were saying we should do a RATM cover in our band, then a guitar teacher we know told us the same thing. i'm thinking take the power back, problem is, then we've gotta tune to drop D. and other suggestions? gotta be lively and fun, but not too much swearing, so thats killing in the name of out. and preferably from the RATM album, because they're the ones everyone knows. bombtrack maybe, but its a bit boring. know your enemy? does anyone play any of these? what goes down well?

btw, i'm a massive fan of RATM, or their self titled album at least. i've got evil empire, RATM, renegades, battle of LA and live at the grand olympic on my PC (is that all of their albums? i dunno, their the only ones i could find to download), but tbh, although i've listened to the others, their self titled album is the one i keep going back to. there are some brilliant songs on the other albums, sleep now in the fire, kick out the jams, how could i just kill a man, guerilla radio, people of the sun to name a few off the top of my head, but RATM is the only album i could listen to all the way through and not get bored.[/quote]

Know your enemy? great bassline.

[quote name='arabassist' post='549549' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:18 PM']i absolutely love evil empire. roll right, wind below, bulls on parade

apparently theres a bass solo after the 2nd chorus (2:20-ish) but i can't hear it on my speakers :)

[/quote]

It's not really a bass solo, he just starts playing a few fills in a bit higher register by the sounds of things

Edited by yituool

[quote name='cheddatom' post='548772' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:04 PM']There's one bass sound (that's used a couple of times) on Renegades that sounds like he's deffinitely torn a speaker. It's amazing!!!

Battle of LA is a great album, but the more I listen to it, the more I think it's a bit "over produced".[/quote]

It's kind of hard for Rage Against The Machine to be overproduced, as all the sounds in their music just come from vocals, guitar, drums and bass. I love the sound of Battle For Los Angeles, sounds pretty raw and energetic if you ask me (which noone is :) )

Edited by yituool