Why become a member? ×

2x12/2x10 advice

Geoff

Im thinking about getting a 2x12 to replace my Ampeg 4x10, but just wanted peoples thoughts on how well a 2x12 would work for me.

Im basically wanting to get something a bit more lightweight and easy to transport, but that'll still deliver enough on stage coverage for larger shows and fill small to mid sized venues nicely if a PA isnt available.

From peoples experience do 2x12's/2x10's deliver enough coverage in a venue?

Would a 2x12/2x10 fill a large stage nicely? (i.e as used as a monitor)

I know there are so many variables, but just want to see how happy people are with smaller cabs, or whether it'd be better to keep with my 4x10 for the long term.

You need to try for yourself, but up until recently I was using an ebs 2x10 stacked on an ebs 2x12 - loads of welly from a 500w head.

Now I've gone for 2 single 12 cabs basically to reduce gear size and weight.

From my experience, 2x12 cabs give quite a bit more bottom end than 2x10.

Never had any problme hearing myself if resoanbly loud bands

Cheers

Martin

That Glockenlang sounds damn good!

The main issue I have at the moment is cutting through the mix, as I have 2 guitarists and a keyboardist to contend with. I do want to downsize my cab, buy I dont know whether that would leave me being overwhelmed by them all.

Weight wise a 2x12 can be the same sort of weight as a 4x10..ie typically 70lbs.

2 2x10s would be lighter per cab and deliver 700w per pr but I don't think they will deliver the bass end so well as a 4x10 or 2x12.
Then you have 1x12's ..

I think you are going to have to hear a 12" and see if it is to your liking.. but doubt that weight save will be what you gain with a 2x12 cab

Plenty of 12" cabs for sale here so maybe the seller thinks they don't work for their sound

If your down South London way at all in the next couple of weeks your welcome to try my Tecamp M212 which is currently for sale. Only suggest this as I notice you use a TD650 and I used one of these plus an HD350 with the earlier version of this cab and sounded excellent, plus big punch sound from reasonably lightweight cab.

[quote name='Geoff' post='546435' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:53 PM']....Im thinking about getting a 2x12 to replace my Ampeg 4x10, but just wanted peoples thoughts on how well a 2x12 would work for me.
Would a 2x12/2x10 fill a large stage nicely? (i.e as used as a monitor)
I know there are so many variables, but just want to see how happy people are with smaller cabs, or whether it'd be better to keep with my 4x10 for the long term....[/quote]
For me, the sound of 12's on their own was too round with not enough attack. The 410 I've got is pretty loud with a huge, full, punchy tone and I've kept it for that reason but mostly I use a 12 and 210 which really work very well together. They give me the fullness and clarity in a small footprint, though I still use the 410 for very loud gigs..

I think that while the Ampeg is good it lacks definition and is too heavy. If you're nervous about "small" rigs you could go for a Neo 410.

Edit: There are several Epifani 410's for sale on BC at the moment. In my opinion they would kill any 212.

Edited by chris_b

Cheers for the answers guys. As usual I think its going to be a matter of just trying stuff out and see what suits me then. I just wish you could try before you buy in a live environment sometimes!

whynot, thanks for the offer of checking the Tecamp. I noticed your post in the for sale section and was tempted, but as usual I dont have the money here and now.

Chris_b - Agreed about the Ampeg. I like the sound at lower volumes, but as soon as im playing in a loud environment it doesnt seem to cut through very well. Saying that though, its an 8Ohm cab, so im probably not pushing my amp anywhere near its capabilities and maybe its just a volume issue.

Dude!!!

I have just downsized from my Trace 8x10 to a David Eden 2x12. Never looked back....
The way it changed the sound of me and the whole band was amazing, it instantly made the bass warmer, more like thunder and made the guitars cut through more rather than battling against the angry mid range of the 8x10.

Dont worry about not being heard, i play in an aggressive metal band and thought it would never work, thats why it stayed at home for over a year. I recorded with it and then tried it in a live situation and the difference was amazing.

If you can find one, try it... they are amazing. Im trying to find a second one.

:)

[quote name='longtimefred' post='546918' date='Jul 21 2009, 07:36 PM']Dude!!!

I have just downsized from my Trace 8x10 to a David Eden 2x12. Never looked back....
The way it changed the sound of me and the whole band was amazing, it instantly made the bass warmer, more like thunder and made the guitars cut through more rather than battling against the angry mid range of the 8x10.

Dont worry about not being heard, i play in an aggressive metal band and thought it would never work, thats why it stayed at home for over a year. I recorded with it and then tried it in a live situation and the difference was amazing.

If you can find one, try it... they are amazing. Im trying to find a second one.

:)[/quote]

Agreed on the 2x12! Basically, its like a warm sonic punch! But its still gives you nice details if you get the right cab. Surprisingly dead loud.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='546751' date='Jul 21 2009, 05:19 PM']If you dont mind about 70lbs plus removable casters, seriously check Aguilar DB212s. I am VERY impressed with mine. Thick, full, articulate, and throaty. They are VERY loud....even one 8 ohm one. Excellent cabs.[/quote]

[quote name='longtimefred' post='546918' date='Jul 21 2009, 07:36 PM']Dont worry about not being heard, i play in an aggressive metal band and thought it would never work, thats why it stayed at home for over a year. I recorded with it and then tried it in a live situation and the difference was amazing.[/quote]

Looks like im going to have to try the Eden and Aguilar cabs by the sounds of it! Im going to London on friday so i'll see what I can find.

Longtimefred, do your tunes on your myspace have the Eden on the recording?

[quote name='Geoff' post='547393' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:47 AM']Looks like im going to have to try the Eden and Aguilar cabs by the sounds of it! Im going to London on friday so i'll see what I can find.

Longtimefred, do your tunes on your myspace have the Eden on the recording?[/quote]

Yes mate, all the ones are using that. "The Next" was recorded with the 2x12 and my Trace V4 and my MM Stingray 5. The rest of em were using the same cab, but with Peavey Max pre amp, peavey power amp, Pro Co Rat Pedal and a mexican Fender Jazz.

I was down London not long ago, im sure The Gallery on Denmark St may have had one as i think they are the only Eden stockists around, but i could be wrong.

They are pricey for a 2x12 but worth every penny! If you want i got an unmixed version of some of our newest tunes with the full HUGE sound of it before it all got cleaned up if you want i could send you a copy for a bit more info on it.

I soooo want another one, im just greedy :)

Will