Why become a member? ×

Envelope Filter Price

JBassist

The two best lower-priced filters would be the DOD FX25B and the EHX Q-Tron. Try both and see which you prefer, they not only sound very different (the Q-Tron is a bit peaky and wild, the FX25B is thick and smooth) but also feel like they react very differently to your playing.

If you decide you want more options and have more to spend, look at Meatball clones (3Leaf Groove Regulator, Robot Factory Meatwad, Barge Concepts Grinder). There's a good range of options and prices there, and all of them receive positive reviews.

The Moog recommended above isn't especially good as an envelope-following filter IMO, but is useful as a static filter for making synthy sounds, or doing manual sweeps with an exp. pedal.

Edited by thisnameistaken

The Boss SYB3 has a couple of decent envelope effects on it, not to mention a whole host of other stuff. I had the Dod FX25b and actually preferred the envelope sounds on the Boss. A bit more usable but a little less trebly, also i found a bit of signal loss on the Dod, only with my Warwick though

The Boss pedals change hands for around £50 i believe

[quote name='xgsjx' post='546480' date='Jul 21 2009, 02:17 PM']Moogerfooger MF-101 with exp pedal = £180. Does some lovely sounds but some folk don't like the tone suck, I like it for the subbiness & moog sounds[/quote]

Where from? Most places I've seen are £200 without the expression pedal!

The Meatball and it's clones are among the funkiest filters I've ever heard. I would go for a 3Leaf, or a Meatwad if you want the option to use it with an expression pedal.

The Tonefactor 442 Red / Mojo Hand 442 / Boomstick Bottom Feeder (all the same pedal) are well worth a look too, I love mine.

Edited by dannybuoy

Here are a few that you MUST have a look at!

EBS Bass IQ - Think they are about £150 new.

Chunk Systems Agent00 Funk Mark II - £250 ish. Listen to the sound clips here: [url="http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2.htm#sounds"]http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2.htm#sounds[/url]

Mu-Tron III vintage pedal and the father of all filters - £350 upwards

Mu-Tron III + this is the re-issue version and produces a good sound. (Mine is for sale in the Effects forum)

Subdecay Prometheus - £220 I think. Not tried one but heard very good things about them.

I have tried the Q-Tron, FX25B and Maxon AF9. Many rave about them but for me they just did not cut it!!

Hope that helps?

Mark

[quote name='JBassist' post='546368' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:09 PM']any help will be apprecited[/quote]

Check out [url="http://www.tonefactor.com"]tonefactor.com[/url] which is a US based shop. Prices are good, they have no problems accepting returns, and all their packages seem to magically avoid customs charges! :)

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote]The Moog recommended above isn't especially good as an envelope-following filter IMO, but is useful as a static filter for making synthy sounds, or doing manual sweeps with an exp. pedal.[/quote]
I haven't really tried many other envelope pedals, but I found this follows pretty well & also link the env out to my murf to get some interesting effects that depend on how hard I play. Might depend on the level coming out of the bass? I usually have the exp pedal into the resonance amount to add how much squelchyness I want.

[quote]Where from? Most places I've seen are £200 without the expression pedal![/quote]
I got mine from a local music shop for £149 & got the pedal from DV247 for @ £30. Got a tap tempo for the murf which hardly gets used :) I need to play with it more!

[quote name='iamapirate' post='549011' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:16 PM']Check out the MXR one as well, I had a go on it and it's awesome IMO About £80 second hand off here??[/quote]

+1 I have the MXR auto-Q (less than £80 SH off here.

Excellent pedal, got to try it in anger at a jam last weekend, really really lovely sound. Doesnt have many different variations, but what it does sounds fantastic. It also has an auto-wah function that kiscks in after a user defined delay, which is unique I think....

[quote name='yorick' post='549046' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:44 PM']Have a butchers at the EH Nano Bassballs.[/quote]

While the Bassballs is technically an envelope-following filter, it doesn't sound anything like a normal filter. If you're going to just have one, I wouldn't have that one. I love mine, but I don't use it as an envelope filter.