Why become a member? ×

depping tonight

gary mac

Got a depp tonight in teddington.. and I'm feeling nervous. I haven't suffered with this in years. a good few hours to go and I'm already suffering clammy hands, butterflies and that dread that I will forget the numbers. :) .

I've had a rehearsal with the band, good bunch of chaps and they were pleased with my playing, so why the nerves?

Not sure whether to carry on practising this morning or just put the bass away, relaxe and think about anything other than bass playing.

All the best Gary.

.....if it goes well I will post in the "how was your gig last night" section. If it doesn't then I will sit in the corner, contemplating and swaying gently, whilst weeping in to my cup of tea.

Dont' worry .. Run through the start of each number, Do your cheat sheet with reminders and clues eg whosstarts, what your first note is, ona big bit of paper in big black marker pen (to go on the floor) and then go and enjoy it .. :)
Remember they should be so pleased to be able to play the gig that any fluffs by you will be a minor thing, if they notice at all. The punters won't :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. I've had 25 tunes to learn for a dep tonight.

That in itself isn't too much of a problem, but the fly in the ointment is that a big chunk of them are fast things that really need a plec. And I just can't play with a plec. So, for the first time in a while I find myself suffering from a little trepadation.

I'm just going to forget about it until tonight... good luck with yours!

I had a dep gig on Tuesday tea-time. I got the setlist on Monday afternoon. This was the first gig that I've been genuinely nervous for in about 2-3 years. It was a full 2 set gig and I'd only played 3 of the songs before and only knew the bass parts to another couple. Some like Vertigo I managed to wing completely because they're songs I'd heard enough times and I managed to grab a few chord charts and tabs (hastily corrected) from t'interweb. The gig actually went okay and I didn't cause any major train wrecks. It would have been nice to have had more than 1 evening to prepare though....

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='543859' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:01 AM']I love depping! I like the challenge of learning all this new stuff at short notice, without all the politics of being "in" the band.
Don't wory about the punters, or the full time band members, just concentrate on being better than their usual bass player! :brow:[/quote]

You obviously don't rely on their bass player for much work then...?

Mike

Ok , strictly speeking I've never depped ( been asked to stand in by the regular bass player ) I've always been asked by other members of the band(s)
When I stand in for someone My intension is to be as good as them, if possible better- aim high , settle for a shot somewhere near the target!
A couple of years ago I stood in for a local band's bassist for three or four gigs while their usual guy was out of the country. I realy enjoyed it and there was talk of my job becoming permanent. It turned out that the other three weren't talking to each other, we played the last bookings and the band folded!

[quote name='sturm' post='543886' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:47 AM']depping? is that standing in for someone else?[/quote]
As I understood it the term "depping" meant be asked to "deputise" ie if the regular bass player can't make it he sends his deputy. A drummer that I used to play with would occasionaly send one of his trusted students to dep for him.
Hence the concern that if you are too good you won't be asked back the next tiime he can't make it.

Depping is meeting most of the band for the 1st time on the night of the gig and getting the bass pad.
A lot of work round here is in depping bands so you get to know a lot of players..it can be fraught and it can be fun but rehearsals are a luxury mostly and only then if you aren't known by the bandleader..

Thanks.
It went really well.

The nerves evaporated as I was setting up.

No sound check, just straight into it. Fortunately started with a straight forward one (Teenage kicks).

Although it was mostly a fairly modern set list, Mustang Sally was in there, accompanied of course by girls from the audience.

I really enjoyed the gig, don't think I made any real clangers, a couple of mistakes, fortunately got back on track quickly, and felt that I did ok.

Plenty of praise from the band and another booking with them later in the year.

Wateroftyne: Glad yours went well.

All the best, Gary

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='544499' date='Jul 19 2009, 09:12 AM']The sods made me busk Mustang Sally. I'd got though my WHOLE LIFE avoiding that flippin' song...[/quote]

Great tune! Played it last night myself and it went down a storm! Actually, I wonder how many players on BC played that song last night - that would be an interesting statistic :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='544846' date='Jul 19 2009, 06:56 PM']Great tune! Played it last night myself and it went down a storm! Actually, I wonder how many players on BC played that song last night - that would be an interesting statistic :lol:[/quote]
ha ha

Well done on surviving your dep gigs guys, and Mustang Sally WoT :)

I liekto drop in some of the horn section lines when I play it .. :rolleyes: Makes it a tad more interesting ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='545003' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:04 PM']I liekto drop in some of the horn section lines when I play it .. :) Makes it a tad more interesting ..[/quote]

I love throwing in a C# (assuming you're in C) coming back in after the break in the verse, makes it really cook!

[quote name='acidbass' post='544846' date='Jul 19 2009, 06:56 PM']Great tune! Played it last night myself and it went down a storm! Actually, I wonder how many players on BC played that song last night - that would be an interesting statistic :rolleyes:[/quote]

I played it Saturday night, the audience loved it again as usual :)

Mustang Sally? When you're depping [i]any[/i] number you already know is a good number. The more the better, then you can spend you're time and energy on the numbers you don't know!

Where were you playing in Teddington?

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='gary mac' post='545311' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:05 PM']....The Anglers Arms with the band Mice with Glasses....[/quote]
Hi Gary, I didn't know the Anglers was doing music these days! I played there 20 years ago. They mostly ignored us then! Hope it was better for you.