Why become a member? ×

73 Precision... The real thing?

Jesso

Hey folks,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a very nice 73 P bass. Understandably, I'm a touch apprehensive, so I thought I'd take advantage of the vast pool of knowledge here to make sure that I'm not missing anything, and that I've asked all the right questions about the bass before I hand over loooooaaads of money!

Its a 73 and is being sold as all original, (without the original case).
I've had the guy dissassemble it in front of me, and everything that I could think of seemed to be in order.
The pots are original and the soldering perfect, which I suppose means the pickups are original.
The neck is straight, and fits beautifully into the body.
The pickguard is original.
The screws are all of the correct era (how do I know if they're original? Impossible I suppose...)
The sunburst finish is very good and the paint is original. It has the correct overspray (shape) pattern where the neck attaches to the body.
It is not overly worn, and has only some light cracks in the varnish on the back, and a few very small chips here and there.
It has (what I'm told... again.... how do I know?) are the original bridge and pickup cover.
The frets look like they've had very little use.
I sounds amazing and has a very healthy output.
Its nice and light.
Its sexy.
I can't really think of anything else....

The only potential negative that I can see (and this may not even be a negative) is that there are 2 holes drilled in the back of the body where I'm told there would have been some kind of a plate declaring maybe which shop supplied the bass, or where it was hung from the display wall in the shop.
I'm not going to say how much I'm paying, cos I want to see if anyones estimates are close to the actual price... plus I'm trading in quite a bit of gear against it, so the cash price is not so relevant.

Thanks for reading, and any input much appreciated!

Jesse

[quote name='Jesso' post='536138' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:39 AM']The only potential negative that I can see (and this may not even be a negative) is that there are 2 holes drilled in the back of the body where I'm told there would have been some kind of a plate declaring maybe which shop supplied the bass[/quote]

This isn't unheard of actually, I've seen quite a number of vintage basses (admittedly mostly Hofners though) with this 'addition', so the story might well hold up.

Apart from that, it sounds like a lovely bass, best of luck if you do go for it!

Danny

Everything seems fine but I must admit I've never come across the two hole syndrom - surely a sticker stating the shop that sold it would be sufficient. As for it being a method of hanging the thing up? - that beggars belief.

A valuation is best given when there are some good pics around but I'm going to stick my neck out and say £2750 if it's a shop selling it (a private sale I would expect a bit cheaper)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='536173' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:28 AM']Everything seems fine but I must admit I've never come across the two hole syndrom - surely a sticker stating the shop that sold it would be sufficient. As for it being a method of hanging the thing up? - that beggars belief.

A valuation is best given when there are some good pics around but I'm going to stick my neck out and say £2750 if it's a shop selling it (a private sale I would expect a bit cheaper)[/quote]

Bass Doc your almost bang on with the price (it is a shop). They want €2590.
I know it is very strange about the 2 holes on the back, but I don't think it takes away much from the bass or anything.
It does look like there was something stuck there.... you can kind of see the outline of where some kind of plaque or attachment once was.
I wonder if anyone else has come across the 2 hole thing?

Yes to the 2-hole thing - with vintage Hofners and Kliras sold (originally) by music shops in Germany.

It was quite common for well-established music shops to have tin badges, and to screw these to the headstock (either back or front). I haven't seen one screwed to the body, but that might be because I was collecting semi-acoustics.

Some have passed through my hands and I found them attractive and interesting ... a bit of extra provenance.

Incidentally, I don't recall ever seeing a vintage bass from Germany with a [i][b]sticker [/b][/i]for the dealer or music shop. They used either tin badges or waterslide decals.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='536226' date='Jul 9 2009, 09:52 AM']Yes to the 2-hole thing - with vintage Hofners and Kliras sold (originally) by music shops in Germany.

It was quite common for well-established music shops to have tin badges, and to screw these to the headstock (either back or front). I haven't seen one screwed to the body, but that might be because I was collecting semi-acoustics.

Some have passed through my hands and I found them attractive and interesting ... a bit of extra provenance.

Incidentally, I don't recall ever seeing a vintage bass from Germany with a [i][b]sticker [/b][/i]for the dealer or music shop. They used either tin badges or waterslide decals.[/quote]

So it may have been a tin badge of some sort? Long gone now though. Just the holes left. What a strange thing to do to a guitar!

Oh, and either you guys are out of touch.... or I'm being taken for a ride!
In my defense, I'm getting quite a good deal on loads of trade in stuff, so the price isn't really as bad as it seems!

Edited by Jesso

>So it may have been a tin badge of some sort? Long gone now though. Just the holes left. What a strange thing to do to a guitar!<

Australian maker Maton still applies a discrete badge between the neck and pickup that bears the model number. Also Tokai comes to mind for applying a small numbered oval silver sticker to the base of the back of the neck that indicated price in thousands of yen in the 70s.

Germans have a thing for 'stocknagel'. Little tin badges sold by alpine resorts to go on hikers walking sticks. Could have been similar?

Cool. We'll I'm gunna pick it up today so I'll post a few pikkies on this thread for giggles.
I just want to add, lest I'm looking like a complete eejit here....
I'm getting a very good deal on my trade in gear. I'm not about to actually hand over €3000 cash. That would be foolish indeed.

Edited by Jesso

Ok here are some pics. I left the (original) pickup and bridge covers off, cos thats how I play the bass.

She's a beaut. Sounds and plays amazing, and is lighter than my Urge 2 (which I thought was very light!)
The only thing that I didn't notice (in my enthusiasm) in the shop was that some of the frets have had some work at some point. I really should have noticed, but this is my first vintage bass. Should the seller have alerted me? I had him go through the entire guitar from top to bottom, taking the neck apart etc and everything looked perfect. I never thought (through lack of experience) to actually look at the way the frets sit into the neck. The guy just said "The frets have plenty of life left in em".
No photos of the back of the neck, but its unmarked completely.
Also, you can see the previously dicussed holes in the back of the body.
I have to say this bass blows anything else I have ever played away quite easily.

[quote name='acidbass' post='537902' date='Jul 11 2009, 02:52 PM']Looks to be in mighty fine condish for a 36 year old bass! If you're that concerned about the frets, it might be worth getting them looked at by a luthier? Perhaps a dress/stone?[/quote]
Its not that I'm concerned about the frets as such, just concerned about their effect on the value of the bass, and wondering if I could have done a bit better on the deal!

Beautiful! Nice one...

For the amount you might have been able to knock off, I wouldn't worry about the fretwork. Just let it go...

I notice it also has the elongated 'G' screw on the bridge. The pickguard looks correct, too. It all adds to the conclusion that it's everything it should be.

Personally, I'd take it to a good luthier and have the frets checked over and the holes filled in and then.. just enjoy it.

Thanks I'm very much enjoying it! So much so that its the only bass I want to play at the moment.
I might bring it to a guy I know to give the frets a once over. If they are original, is there any chance that I could wear them out by playing it too much? If so, is it the norm just to have it re-fretted, and does this take away from the value a bit? I bought it to play, but I also want to make sure I can get back what I paid for it in a few years should I need to!

[quote name='Jesso' post='538011' date='Jul 11 2009, 05:30 PM']Thanks I'm very much enjoying it! So much so that its the only bass I want to play at the moment.
I might bring it to a guy I know to give the frets a once over. If they are original, is there any chance that I could wear them out by playing it too much? If so, is it the norm just to have it re-fretted, and does this take away from the value a bit? I bought it to play, but I also want to make sure I can get back what I paid for it in a few years should I need to![/quote]

Just.. don't worry about the frets. Honest.

If there's plenty of life in them, they'll last years and years and years.

Although - IMO - what you paid was on the high side, if you're going to keep it for a few years it's a sound investment.

The back of that bass is fascinating.

Apart from the pair of holes (which do look as if they held some sort of plate) there's that bizarre wear pattern on the upper horn, and the even stranger curved pattern of blotches lower down.

Is that pattern some sort of light or reflection, or is it actually in the wood?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='538018' date='Jul 11 2009, 05:35 PM']The back of that bass is fascinating.

Apart from the pair of holes (which do look as if they held some sort of plate) there's that bizarre wear pattern on the upper horn, and the even stranger curved pattern of blotches lower down.

Is that pattern some sort of light or reflection, or is it actually in the wood?[/quote]

Upper horn = buckle rash.

Blotches = curly-lead-itis (put in the case on top of a curly lead, and shoved under a bed or into the loft for a year or two)

:)

Im pretty sure that this bass was for sale at the Gallery in London some months ago. As I was interested in it I emailed them for more pics. Thats when I saw the two holes and that put me off buying it. On reflection I think I was being a bit fussy but the asking price was around £1700 and I would have had to part ex my '78 and still find a boat load of cash.

What a lovely bass though. :)

That is a beautiful Precision. I love the tuning keys, the logo, the burst. If I wasnt so worried about getting vintage I would have done a similar thing but I bought a brand new one last week.

People can say what they want about us Fender-lovers, but there is definitely something about a Fender P/J that I cannot find in other instruments.

Yep I reckon I paid a bit too much for it.... but then on the other hand, I px'd so much stuff for it that its a bit less straight forward than that.
The way I'm looking at it is that I had all this gear lying around that I really don't miss, which I probably wouldn't have gotten around to selling. Even if I had sold it all seperately, I may not have gotten what he gave me for px, and it would have taken ages (plus the extra hassle)!
So the deal suited me, even though the price was high (swings and roundabouts and all that!)
I'm not planning on selling it unless I ever really need to. I bought it to play, and because I reckon it could be a nice thing to pass on my kids in 20 years (I only have one so far, she nearly 2!)
I was wondering what the marks were on the back.... thanks wateroftyne.
It would be a shame to be worrying about the frets every time I gig the bass. So I'll take your advice and just enjoy this super instrument!

The only wee disapointment is that there was no original case. They seem to be quite expensive on the bay of E.

Edited by Jesso