Why become a member? ×

Japanese Fender Jazz's - Which Ones?

spongebob

My recent purchase of a Geddy Jazz has got my interest up in Fender Jazz's. My knowledge of these is pretty much zero!

Which other Jazz's are Japanese made, besides the Geddy and the Marcus Miller?

On a similar tip, is there a big differnce bewteen the Mexican and Japanese Jazz's? I saw some pictures of the classic 70's model - I beleve a Mex - and it looks superb!

One last thing on the Fenders..........I've been looking a Fender flight case - overpriced branding, or actually worth the extra? I need a decent hardcase!

I believe the Jaguars are also MIJ?

As far as hardcases go - I was considering buying a Fender one recently (in that lovely brown tweed they do), but in the end opted for a Hiscox Liteflite, which has just taken my bass to London and back safely! Also, they're a bit cheaper than the Fender ones depending on where you buy.

Hope this helps!

Danny

I tried all three Mex basses in stock at the shop when I bought mine. The first was okay, probably just needed tweaking and mine was great off the mark, but the third was terrible. The action was colosally high, the fret ends protruded and the 17th to 19th frets were loose and rattled. On the flip side, the one I got felt better than the American standards they had in! It seems the quality control on the MIMs is pretty hit and miss, whereas the couple of Geddy Lee Jazzs I've tried in shops have always been excellently finished and set up. I think with Fender more than any other manufacturer you really must try before you buy.

[quote name='spongebob' post='535907' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:28 PM']Hi Danny

Is the Hiscox the 'guitar shaped' case?

Is there a compartmant for leads, plugs, etc?[/quote]
It's a bit guitar shaped (not fully shaped but not rectangular either). There is a good sized compartment under the neck. Great cases - light & very strong. I'm going to get one for my Levinson B4.

Quality control on the MIMs is variable. The best ones are very good. Most of them are adequate.

For MIJ/CIJ, the best instruments are the not-for-export, which have that winning combination of US pickups and hardware, and Japanese build quality and attention to detail.