Why become a member? ×

String height / action - I've learned a valuable lesson!

wateroftyne

Hi all

Fairly random post, and probably not news to 99.9% of you all, but...

In the last couple of years I've taken to doing minor adjustments myself... truss, string height, etc. I've always set my action so it's the lowest it can be without the strings choking or rattling off the frets at the end of the board.

As a result, the action on my basses has, over time, lowered to around 2mm (from string to top of fret) at the 12th and the heel end.

Recently, I've become increasingly frustrated with my tone, especially at larger gigs. I just haven't sounded round enough, and when I've dug in, the notes have been 'barking'.

It can't be the action, I thought. The strings are ringing cleanly... I even thought one of my 'ol sets of Le Bella flats had gone bad. I was about to retire them, when the penny dropped...

Of course, when I've been adjusting my basses it's been at plink-plink room volume. At a gig, with more volume and adrenaline... you play harder. Hence the chokes!

So, I've upped the action to about 3mm (it feels like a heck of a lot, but you really don't notice at a gig) and all the sudden my notes are ringing big and round, with plenty of growl in reserve when I dig in.

Bliss.

Why didn't I think of it before??

Don't be afraid to raise tha action a little more than you think, people... you might be suprised at how much difference it makes to your ears, but how little difference it makes to your hands!

If this post helps one person, it'll have been worth typing. :)

Also, when your action is a little higher (as it is on my 70RI, cannot get it as low as on your basses WoT) I suspect the act of playing and fretting the strings may require slightly more concentration in a live setting, which also may improve your playing and tone. In other words you don't rely on the bass "playing itself"

[quote name='Clarky' post='528459' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:17 AM']Also, when your action is a little higher (as it is on my 70RI, cannot get it as low as on your basses WoT) I suspect the act of playing and fretting the strings may require slightly more concentration in a live setting, which also may improve your playing and tone. In other words you don't rely on the bass "playing itself"[/quote]
Definitely.

I noticed over the last few gigs that the little bits of damping I've been doing, dynamics, etc, have all been a lot more articulate.

Not that Joe Public cares, but I do!

I'm a low action type, no man rock set ups for me thank you very much! I can't be dealing with clambering over and around my strings and fretboard if I have a high action set up...gets a bit noisy though when a band wants to tune down to the dreaded semi-tone below. I love having girl action :)

Whenever I get a new bass, I always set it up with as low an action as I can ( just so that I know everything is tiggeddyboo ), then raise it up a little. I'm sure that even a bedroom levels the tone is better with a slightly higher action. Cheesegraters for the win!!

Pluck

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='528449' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:10 AM']you might be suprised at how much difference it makes to your ears, but how little difference it makes to your hands![/quote]

+100% - it's like taking a blanket off your rig. A worthy post, Sir.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='528702' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:25 PM']Hiya WoT, do you usually raise and lower the pups the commensurare amount when you adhust the action? Is it possible that the neck's not 'choking' but that the strings are too close to the pups?

Peter[/quote]

Hey hey GK!

Nah - my pickups are usually fairly low. It was definitely clattering of the end of the neck.

IMO And FWIW 2mm I would consider really low, 3mm would be medium low. Really low action seems to work well with tapping, a light touch or Slap/Pop. However to be able to pluck with more authority (I don't mean thrashing the strings lol) the strings simply need more space to vibrate freely. And this isn't bad technique, I've been to too many NAMM shows to remember and have been fortunate to see and meet some great players, and when you see them up close you'd be surprised at how hard most of these guys attack the strings, and how noisy their playing sounds unplugged. Then they plug-in and it's still kinda noisy sounding. The thing is you'd be surprised at how much TOP quality gear can do for you. Just try plugging in to say an Avalon U5 before going to a rig or mixer and listen to how musical even some of the noise sounds! So hey it's not a contest of who can get the lowest action, it's a tool to help you express yourself, music's a beautiful thang! :-)

Edited by Grissle

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='528449' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:10 AM']Hi all

Fairly random post, and probably not news to 99.9% of you all, but...

In the last couple of years I've taken to doing minor adjustments myself... truss, string height, etc. I've always set my action so it's the lowest it can be without the strings choking or rattling off the frets at the end of the board.

As a result, the action on my basses has, over time, lowered to around 2mm (from string to top of fret) at the 12th and the heel end.

Recently, I've become increasingly frustrated with my tone, especially at larger gigs. I just haven't sounded round enough, and when I've dug in, the notes have been 'barking'.

It can't be the action, I thought. The strings are ringing cleanly... I even thought one of my 'ol sets of Le Bella flats had gone bad. I was about to retire them, when the penny dropped...

Of course, when I've been adjusting my basses it's been at plink-plink room volume. At a gig, with more volume and adrenaline... you play harder. Hence the chokes!

So, I've upped the action to about 3mm (it feels like a heck of a lot, but you really don't notice at a gig) and all the sudden my notes are ringing big and round, with plenty of growl in reserve when I dig in.

Bliss.

Why didn't I think of it before??

Don't be afraid to raise tha action a little more than you think, people... you might be suprised at how much difference it makes to your ears, but how little difference it makes to your hands!

If this post helps one person, it'll have been worth typing. :)[/quote]

My lifetime arguement said by someone else FINALLY!
Although I too like yourself have found my action getting lower and lower and it does help for tapping...but it's gotta give...I need my medium action back.

Plus, low action makes you faster to start with, and does overall...but weakens your fingers.
Anyone here remember my 3/4 inch height practise bass? THAT takes some doing...For scales only mind of course! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Grissle' post='528916' date='Jun 30 2009, 06:14 PM']And this isn't bad technique, I've been to too many NAMM shows to remember and have been fortunate to see and meet some great players, and when you see them up close you'd be surprised at how hard most of these guys attack the strings, and how noisy their playing sounds unplugged. Then they plug-in and it's still kinda noisy sounding.[/quote]

Aye, I remember the first time I heard the isolated bass tracks on the 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' CDs...or cassettes rather, as they were back then.

Many of these world class bassists were fairly clanky when you heard them without the full band masking the clunks and scrapes.

I seem to remember Chuck Rainey in particular striking me as quite noisy, which made me worry alot less about how I sound unplugged.

[quote name='Hodge' post='528952' date='Jun 30 2009, 06:37 PM']Aye, I remember the first time I heard the isolated bass tracks on the 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' CDs...or cassettes rather, as they were back then.

Many of these world class bassists were fairly clanky when you heard them without the full band masking the clunks and scrapes.

I seem to remember Chuck Rainey in particular striking me as quite noisy, which made me worry alot less about how I sound unplugged.[/quote]

I'm noisy and clanky but it works in a band situation and plus, I like that sound.
Steve Harris was my first inspo...guess it shows...Still love his clanks!

I've set my instruments up differently according to their intended uses and their strengths and weaknesses.

Ibanez - Low as it can go for deliberate grinding, clanking and scraping.
Jazz - Middle of the road for all-round playing
Warwick Infinity - On the high side, as I've found it has a better tone. This one's weird. It's chambered, and if you wear it too high and tight, it seems to choke the body's resonant sound. Definitely a RockBass. Even though it's a Warwick
Status Streamline - Left it alone! Could go lower, but there's really no need.
Vigier - This one's difficult. It can go really low and plays brilliantly, but you just have to raise it a bit, looking for that extra something, and there it is!

I also adjust all the pick-ups for even string to string output. If you have a high output instrument, try moving the pick-ups AWAY from the strings a bit. You may lose a little output, but the magnetic field "drag" on the strings lessens too, so sustain and tone improve

[quote name='Kongo' post='528937' date='Jun 30 2009, 06:30 PM']....My lifetime arguement said by someone else FINALLY!
Although I too like yourself have found my action getting lower and lower and it does help for tapping...but it's gotta give...I need my medium action back....[/quote]
+1. That explains why I'm no good at tapping; you can drive a London bus under my strings!!

3.5mm on the B, evenly decreasing to a monkey's ball-hair over 2mm on the G. Happy with that and it feels good with no ringing or fret noise (well, no more than you get with nearly new strings!)

:)

henry norton - Better man? I doubt that. Anally retentive about measuring things? Probably. :rolleyes:

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='529106' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:30 PM']I just checked my ACG Harlot at the 12th fret.

2.5mm on the E, 2.0mm on the G.

No buzzing or clanking unless I really dig in.[/quote]

Interesting!

I suppose another variable to add in is where you pluck the string. I could honk away over the bridge pup on a J all day, and not clank or rattle once.

Over the neck pup would be a different kettle'o'fish altogether.

[quote name='andy.' post='529263' date='Jul 1 2009, 12:23 AM']I have HUGE action but still tap loads :S

Does this make me strange?! lol[/quote]

Yes.

Only kidding mush :) once the notes are fretted doesn't really matter about the action....does it???