Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Z2

Happy Jack

This is a 2005 Dingwall Z2 in mint condition.

Piccies: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/pjy1/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/pjy1/3[/url]

Specs: [url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/html/products_z2.html"]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/html/products_z2.html[/url]

It's a truly superb bass, a far better instrument than I'll ever be a player, and I've loved owning it.

But I just can't get on with the tone. The fanned frets are fine, just as everyone said they would be, and the pre-amp is excellent; the light weight is easy on my shoulders, the 37" B-string is awesome ... and I still prefer my two P-basses. :)

I'm looking for [size=3][b]£2200[/b][/size].

That's a lot of money for a bass, so I'll happily listen to p/x offers. If those offers happen to include a 1974/75 Fender Jazz, I'll be more likely to listen hard. :rolleyes:

Jack
07786 251295

The only time I really notice the extra scale length on my Dingwall (in a bad way) is if I do ALOT of hammering 1-3 fret on the B or E. And I have midget hands. I would love this bass more than you know but I have neither the funds nor the ability to justify it...

dont want a 6 string Sei with ACG pre do you?

[quote name='d-basser' post='525434' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:25 PM']I would love this bass more than you know but I have neither the funds nor the ability to justify it...[/quote]

A strangely familiar sentiment. :rolleyes:

[quote name='d-basser' post='525434' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:25 PM']dont want a 6 string Sei with ACG pre do you?[/quote]

Give me a couple of years to get used to 5-stringers, then ask me again. :)

[quote name='Beneath It All' post='525426' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:19 PM']Does the scale FEEL like 37" or do the 'set back' saddles give it more of a standard scale feel?..cheers.[/quote]

It's a really strange thing, and no one (including me) really believes it until you try one, but it just feels "natural".

The whole philosophy of fanned frets is that they're inherently ergonomic. I have (far too) many basses and I play ALL of them, so I'm constantly swopping between short-scale and standard, standard and long-scale.

There's a definite adjustment in my playing style when swopping between short-scale and standard, but I find that I need to make NO adjustment to my playing when I pick up the Z2.

That tells me that the design really does work, and that I should definitely be playing it all the time, which was my original intention - this was supposed to be the ultimate GAS-killer.

The only thing I don't like about the Z2 is the hi-fi tone from the 90's. All I use the pre-amp for these days is trying to dial in a P-bass tone, which is complete madness. That's not what this bass is about, and I already have two P-basses! :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='525652' date='Jun 27 2009, 01:58 AM']I'm ignorant: Does the fanned fret thing make string bends weird?[/quote]

Not to the degree that I bend them!

Bear in mind that from 5th to 10th fret the fanning is nearly neutral, i.e. it's almost like a standard bass, while for a further two frets in each direction (3rd and 12th) the fanning is still fairly gentle.

The fanning is most extreme at the ends of the fingerboard, and I don't know many people who can do extreme bends at the 1st fret, so any bending issue would only arise above the 12th fret.

More significant would be the impact on people who like to play chords on bass. That's not part of my playing, so I can't judge the extent to which fanned frets make a difference.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='525506' date='Jun 26 2009, 11:28 PM']It's a really strange thing, and no one (including me) really believes it until you try one, but it just feels "natural".[/quote]

If it helps, I have never played anything other than a 34" scale, I've been playing for over 20 years.

I tried a Dingwall in the Gallery a few weeks ago, this is the first time I have heard it's actually a 37". I didn't even notice! It really is very easy to come to terms with, I was pretty much straight in there after a couple of minutes mental adjustment. The bass felt fantastically smooth, and string tensions felt very even.

AFAIK they do make lefties, but only to order.

It's not something a dealer would buy in for stock!

Wait list for a new Dingwall was well over six months the last time I checked (over a year ago). It may well have come down given the current economic blah blah blah.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='532866' date='Jul 5 2009, 01:28 PM']Wow! What a beautiful piece.

Had a quick glance at the Dingwall website and couldn't find any reference to Lefties - anybody know better?[/quote]

NO lefty Dingwalls AFAIK. Because everything is really Custom made, it requires everything to be drawn, designed and manufactured from scratch and that would not cover the expenses involved for a left handed Dingwall

[quote name='fullrangebass' post='533575' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:02 AM']NO lefty Dingwalls AFAIK. Because everything is really Custom made, it requires everything to be drawn, designed and manufactured from scratch and that would not cover the expenses involved for a left handed Dingwall[/quote]

Was kind of worried about that. Shame.

Fabulous craftsmanship.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='528270' date='Jun 30 2009, 12:04 AM']Depending on what you mean by "a few weeks", it might have been my Z2 that you tried. :)[/quote]

Cool, in that case, I have indeed had a play on your Dinger and it was most lovely and impressive :rolleyes: