Why become a member? ×

Getting better

skillbass

If this is a wind-up, I hope it doesnt stop other genuine newbies coming on and asking the appropriate questions and getting the answers.
It is heartening that people have given proper help and guidance here but will they be so quick next time something like this appears thinking they may be getting wound up and budding bassists may lose out on good advice.

Its like a backwards gnome. It's not big and it's not clever

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

My neighbour gave me my first guitar when I was about five or six. A battered old acoustic. A week later my parents took it off me and gave it him back because it was too noisy.

Luckily for them they have been absolutely brilliant for the ensuing 33 years.

[quote name='skillbass' post='520788' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:46 PM']Hi,

New to this site and just wanted some tips on gettin better at the bass. I am 15 and already pretty good. I would say I am as good as most pros and me dad sais i am the best he has heard. I am looking to get some session work soon, my dad knows some people he sais.

Anyone have any tips for someone starting out playing bass proffessionally?

P.S. I only want to play pop/country stuff.

Cheers,

Zak[/quote]
Deffo shenanigans. It's either from one of our regular japesters, or from the disenchanted finnbass crowd, and not a very good windup at that. Grow up people.

where's my broom?...

hi guyz, sorry some think im a wind up but just wanted some advice from more expirienced players. I admit I don't know loads about the background of bass playing but like 2 think I am resnably good so I could be a pro someday.

If I find out how, ill try and rec some of my playing to prove im not winding people up!!!

Cheers for helpfull replys anyway,

Z

[quote name='skillbass' post='521166' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:22 PM']hi guyz, sorry some think im a wind up but just wanted some advice from more expirienced players. I admit I don't know loads about the background of bass playing but like 2 think I am resnably good so I could be a pro someday.

If I find out how, ill try and rec some of my playing to prove im not winding people up!!!

Cheers for helpfull replys anyway,

Z[/quote]

Awesome.
Record some vids for youtube or somethin if you have a video camera/video on ur phone?

Z
x

Please bother to write in English not text speak.

As best you can.

Some people on this forum are older than your dad, many have been playing longer than you have been alive, for some English is a second language, they dont do text speak. They all have great advice and knowledge they are happy to share with anyone willing to ask...

I include myself the above (not the English as a second language bit tho :)) :rolleyes: crap I'm old ......

Edited by 51m0n

One piece of advice I'll give to you that I wish I could've been told a long time ago would be not to be so full of yourself and end up putting yourself in the mind set that your an "Amazing" bassist, because another bassist will come from out of nowhere and will proceed to wipe the floor with you and your preconceived knowledge of bass playing. I'm sure as hell that I'm not alone on that one.

You need to admit failure and learn from it, you have to open your mind in regards to what music you want to play, and always be sure to learn from a bassist who you know full well is superior to you, learn to turn that petty jealousy into something worthwhile.

It's good to be modest, but not when your going around saying your a great bassist and your parents concur, if your persist with that attitude you may end up like Jeff Berlin, and thats a curse no bassist would wish on anyone.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='521256' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:42 PM']It's good to be modest, but not when your going around saying your a great bassist and your parents concur, if your persist with that attitude you may end up like Jeff Berlin, and thats a curse no bassist would wish on anyone.[/quote]

Or more correctly, you'll be like Jeff Berlin without the talent. Something that man has bucket loads of, even if he's rather strongly opinionated and aggressive with those opinions.

[quote name='Buzz' post='521267' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:52 PM']Or more correctly, you'll be like Jeff Berlin without the talent. Something that man has bucket loads of, even if he's rather strongly opinionated and aggressive with those opinions.[/quote]

Exactly Buzz, I think Brian Fox is probably the better example.

Unfortunately, if he's genuine, the OP has dug himself a bit of a hole with his initial comments, my first reaction also being that it was a wind-up.
If it's not a wind-up, then -- to the OP -- you could do better than taking note of some very sage advice here. Not least the part about not writing in [i]txt spk[/i] -- yuck!!! :)

On the other hand, how do we even know he/she is 15?
Maybe its a 30-year-old guitarist spy come to stir up a bit of fun for his pals on some GuitarWrist-Action forum or summink....!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Steve

[quote name='Stingray5' post='521292' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:13 PM']On the other hand, how do we even know he/she is 15?
Maybe its a 30-year-old guitarist spy come to stir up a bit of fun for his pals on some GuitarWrist-Action forum or summink....!!! :)[/quote]

A Sneaky Six String Saboteur?

[quote name='51m0n' post='521245' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:33 PM']Please bother to write in English not text speak.

As best you can.

Some people on this forum are older than your dad, many have been playing longer than you have been alive, for some English is a second language, they dont do text speak. They all have great advice and knowledge they are happy to share with anyone willing to ask...

I include myself the above (not the English as a second language bit tho :)) :rolleyes: crap I'm old ......[/quote]

+1

I tried to suggest this earlier.

The fact is that if you fail to act on that initial piece of advice - write correctly on this forum - then you display the type of attitude that alienates many of the helpful people on here and you will therfore get less help.

Does it matter if you use txt speak? Well, not really.
Does it matter if you ignore advice? Yes.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='51m0n' post='521245' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:33 PM']Please bother to write in English not text speak.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

The guy is a youngish kid, give him a break. People use text speak sometimes. :)

Skillbass, everyone starts somewhere, but I think based on your initial comments you need to be careful that self-confidence isn't confused for arrogance. It's easy to be competitive at you're presumed age, but do some research into your instrument and note that most of the big guys that you might aspire to be like are generally guys who take stock and play supportive roles. You do that, practice hard and I'm sure you'll be a good bassist. Advice and support from your dad is great and a cool ego-boost, but try your best to learn from fellow musicians and by yourself too, be your own person.

Get yourself in a band I would advise would be the next step for you, learn about band politics, and how much girls like good bass players :lol: It's all well and good being a bedroom player, but being in a band will get you learning faster. Get in a big band if you can and get your music reading together, that's also an invaluable skill. And most of all just enjoy it

Liam

Edited by liamcapleton