Why become a member? ×

Hagstrom resurrection!

neepheid

Now, the story:

Yesterday I took the Haggy (as it is becoming affectionately known) across to my mate Rich (Ou7shined on here) to knock our heads together to rewire this badboy. To be fair, Rich did most of it - he's a lot better at electronics than me :rolleyes: Still took us two goes to get it right though - first time only the bridge pickup was working.

I put everything into the spare body that I had lying around, strung her up (what a weird length - short scale strings are too short by about an inch - the wraps start too soon and I had to use long ones, hence the mess of the E string.

What a sound! I knew that these pickups were surprisingly hot for their age - 13K resistance noted on multimeter and it was like they were angry at being dormant for so long! That neck is so fast it's unbelievable. This is going to be so hard to give back once I'm done :)

The wiring is very peculiar, the switch near the neck is a kill switch (on/off for everything) and then the switches left to right from the player's point of view are -

neck pickup on/off
bridge pickup on/off
tone (switches in a treble bleed capacitor)
mute (switches in a resistor which has a nominal muting quality on the sound)

and obviously master volume for the pot.

All that's left to do is refinish the body, and the weather finally seems to be taking a turn for the better.

For those of you going to the Scotland/North England bassbash in Moffat, I will be taking this venerable beast with me.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='452692' date='Apr 2 2009, 07:49 PM']Looks stunning! Brilliant job!

What colour is the actual body going to be?

However make sure that you get some proper medium-scale (32") strings next time...[/quote]

It's going to be white - like the guitar counterpart earlier in the thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5233&view=findpost&p=283240"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=283240[/url]

Yeah, I know, the one length of strings most people don't have just lying around. I will get hold of a set before the bassbash.

• 4 months later...

Small update - have given up on body finishing for now. I had a go at the primer coat and it was run city. Will need to practice on something that doesn't matter. Have handed the body finishing job to Rich (Ou7shined) - and anyone who saw his surf green refinished Encore Coaster will appreciate the wisdom behind that decision.

• 1 year later...

I realised that I had never finished this story. Allow me to rectify that state of affairs.

The body was refinished by Rich (Ou7shined) while he was doing my Victory Artist and once again he did an amazing job. I then dragged my heels for ages until I finally put it all back together and returned it to its rightful owner, who was delighted to see it again after so long and thankfully did not kill me :)

Suffice to say I don't think I'll ever take on something this big for someone else again.

[quote name='neepheid' post='92390' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:46 PM']Smooth and ready for finishing:

I've ordered some cans of nitrocellulose lacquer for the finish (from Manchester Guitar Tech, after I was impressed with pictures of the results that customers were getting) and I finally managed to get hold of a guy in Sweden who could supply me with a couple of missing parts which are very difficult to get hold of (jack plate and a waterslide Hagstrom logo for the headstock).

Getting closer...[/quote]

Wow - this guitar would have looked awesome left that natural colour with the black scratchplate.