Why become a member? ×

Hagstrom resurrection!

neepheid

Haven't forgotten about this - the neck itself is done (as in no more layers - lacquer hardening now), I've masked off the headstock sides and I'm just basically going to empty the can onto the face of it now to bury the logo in lacquer. Got a couple of layers done yesterday evening.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='204381' date='May 22 2008, 04:07 PM']Just out of interest, how did you get the screws out?[/quote]

This only worked for the ones which were broken below the surface: drilled 'em out with a hand drill and a 3mm bit. The drill followed the existing hole then had no choice but hit the centre of the screw remnant and drill out the remainder. Got wood dust and metal filings when I removed the drill. Then glued in a 3mm dowel and will cut, sand flush and redrill a pilot hole.

The one that was flush with the top, I tried cutting a slot in the top of it, but that didn't work, so I tried drilling out as well, but the drill slipped off and drilled past the screw. Filled that hole as above, will try drilling a tiny pilot hole in the middle of the screw then drilling it all out with the 3mm bit.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='204435' date='May 22 2008, 05:25 PM']Ah right, thanks, i'm just wondering if the first method will be particularly stable for a bridge screw[/quote]

It ought to be, as long as you use a hardwood dowel and not pine or similar. Wood glue is stronger than wood, so it ought to take the strain. Plus it's not on its own, the load is spread over several points, so it's unlikely to go anywhere.

Wheeee, lacquer drying is fun. Hello from the workshop. I'm going to try and get 4 layers done this evening. At least I can get some bass practice in while I'm waiting. Got to love the Tascam MP3 bass trainer.

Quick update: all screws now present and correct in the pickguard. The old screws are soft as anything, no wonder there were broken ones to drill out. I broke one myself when I was testing pilot hole diameters. Lucky I had a spare, eh?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='234559' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:24 PM']Here's a similar one on ebay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1964-Hagstrom-Futurama-Bass_W0QQitemZ120278538838QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1964-Hagstrom-Futura...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

Yeah, I did spy that one - it's even older than the one I'm sorting out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update: obtained some grain filler so I can finally get started on the body refinish. I have no idea if the grain needs filling or not (because I have no idea what wood the body is made of), but I'm not taking any chances. I'm guessing that if filler isn't needed then the stuff just won't sink in to the grain that much.

Better than screwing a stick to the body, I've got an old, badly varnished Hagstrom neck that I can use. I'll mask the fingerboard, but it doesn't matter too much if lacquer gets on the back, it needs stripped anyway. I'll be able to hang it from one of the tuner holes too when drying - bonus :)

[quote name='TheRinser' post='264066' date='Aug 17 2008, 06:34 PM']Only just noticed this, very impressive stuff! Consider me subscribed!

Also, how did you get rid of the 'hump' around the decal on the headstock?

Cheers,

Tom[/quote]

I didn't entirely, the idea was basically to spray layer after layer on top of the whole thing then cut back over the decal. I got it down a little then I chickened out (Hagstrom decals not being that easy to obtain :) ). So there is a little hump, but it isn't as bad as it was. The originals used to get quite pronounced edges to them anyway, so I guess I'm being period correct through the back door. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='cd_david' post='283240' date='Sep 13 2008, 04:37 PM']Hi
Thought id post the renovated Hii guitar now finished thanks to your help with the decal and tremelo screw.

Thanks Dave[/quote]

Stunning job, I'm doing mine white too, it's nice to see basically how it'll end up.

When I saw someone posted in here, I was expecting a kick up the backside :huh: I've been kinda busy recently because of helping out at a music festival, taken on a few little jobs and I'm organising my wedding. Stressful times!

Gah, I wish even more I was getting to keep the Hagstrom :)

• 4 months later...

Quick update - seeing as I have no idea what wood the body is made of, I've just filled the grain and it's drying overnight. As soon as it gets a little warmer (allegedly happening soon) I'm going to start spraying.

No point in pics, it doesn't look much different. Wood looked a little darker when the grain filler went on, but when it's dry it'll probably look much and such the same.

• 1 month later...