Why become a member? ×

just got my schroeder 1212L and mark bass rig

thumperbob 2002

My band has started playing miles more gigs than I thought we would- 8 this month and so instead of carting around my Marshall VBA 400 and VBC 4x12 rig I decided to get some sort of lightweight rig.

Now I love my rig- really warm and chunky sound with great presence but its really heavy. A bit of a pain if you are playing more than twice a month. I thought it would be good exercise carting this around but was curious about these lightweight rigs I keep hearing about. So was my back.

So after reading reviews and messages on this site I purchased schroeder 1212L from SHX and Mark Bass LMII from Bassdirect. Both really good people to deal with- fast delivery- very knowledgable etc.

The rig turned up today- both at same time.

Really light and small- the amp came with a courier who just passed this little box over my doorway- I was a bit taken aback- seemed a bit alien to me. The box with the Schroeder in was about the same size as an old Peavey 2x10 I still have but when I took it out the box it seemed really small. And rediculously light.

Plugged it in- surely cant be any good I thought- well as you can imagine ( for anyone with the markbass amp ) I did have a bit of a surprise- massive sound- it was my tone with everything flat and goes louder than I need- much louder. My jazz sounds great.

Two main disadvantages- there is a little bass lacking with the cab when compared with the marshall ( though I have been told the speakers will wear in over time ) and now I will be doing no exercise at all!!

Overall really impressed- a bit amazed with the amp- warmer than warm sound!! Lacks a bit of a the sheer rock`n `roll image of the Marshall rig obviously but will surprise the hell out of my band members- especially when I walk into the gig carrying all my rig at once!!

Lets see how it deals with a live gig- like Saturdays. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Bob

Great choice of Rig Bob - I play through an LMII & 1212L as well.

Have you experimented with the VPF (Variable Pre-shape Filter) & VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) yet? If not you're in for a treat. I hardly ever need to touch the eq - I can usually dial in the perfect sound with just these two.

I bet your band tell you you are too loud even when you are fine in the mix (on the dance floor). My band did when I switched to the MarkBass and Scroeder (they still do now I have Bergantino cabs)
It will be the audability..

+1 on the filters.
Have a chat with Mark at Bass Direct and describe what sound you are looking for and he'll be able to recommend some settings as a starting point.
It's a totally different way of dealing with the sound and needs a few clues :)

+1 to all above. MY rig of choice is my SVTII & Bergantino NV610... But the LMII does a superb job at ANYTHING I've had to do. It sounds great thru the Berg NV215(better than thru the 610 IMO) - fat as all heck! The filters- I too use these almost exclusively-altho it IS nice to have the EQ there for when needed. But I find the filters easy as pie to use-DEFINATELY don't need anyone to 'give me a starting point' Tho hold no grudge if you do. I USUALLY set the VLE at about 8pm to give a li'l touch of 'old-school', then sometimes add a touch less of the VPF. If I want a real motown style vibe-I just add more VLE-about 10-11oclock.
Sure the small/light gear hasn't the earth rattling thunder of the BIG RIGS(4x12" or 6x10 etc..) but it certainly does all itneeds to do & more IME.

+2 to all the comments above.
Been using a 1210R for over three years with MB heads and a 1212L for just coming up to a year with my SA450.
The sound will mellow out a bit after a few gigs.
And im sure your read it before but go and stand out front if you can. You will find the rig will sound fuller than when standing up close to it.
I still get told to turn down by both my bands but also to turn the low freq down a bit. And sometimes this is already flat.
It doesn't have the real deep low end that bigger cabs have but it can still fill the low end out in a cleaner, less boomy way. Even with my low B.

The only let down for me with my light weight rig is that i get in so quickly i have ot go and help carry the guitarists bloody heavy combo's and PA cabs.
Oh, and on some stages my rig moves around a bit.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='510034' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:55 AM']Oh, and on some stages my rig moves around a bit.[/quote]

Gramma pad + IKEA luggage strap. Gramma keeps it where it should be and makes it sound even better, luggage straps keep your head on top :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='510103' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:57 PM']Gramma pad + IKEA luggage strap. Gramma keeps it where it should be and makes it sound even better, luggage straps keep your head on top :)[/quote]

Actually i do have some Gramma foam strips that does indeed stop it shifting. I just dont always remember to use it.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='509503' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:31 PM']....there is a little bass lacking with the cab when compared with the marshall....[/quote]
This is because the box is too small for the speakers. It's designed this way in order to emphasise the midrange, but it does that at the expense of the low end. I heard one at the bass bash and loved the punchy sound.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='509503' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:31 PM']The box with the Schroeder in was about the same size as an old Peavey 2x10 I still have but when I took it out the box it seemed really small. And rediculously light.[/quote]

When mine arrived Postie offered to carry it up the stairs to my flat, so I knew it was going to be light. :)

Gig went well on Saturday.

Band mates were amazed with the weight and size of the rig. All in all about 100 capacity- small venue. The Cab( Schroeder 1212L ) filled the room easily- Mark Bass on about a 3rd volume. This is all with the rig on a seat at the back of the small stage. Bass freqs came through well. Really cut through with a warm, phat sound - I used my Marcus Miller with both pickups on full- normally I would have 80% bridge pickup but this rig tends to sound better this way. Great for slap and really warm for fingerstyle.

With a better sounding room probably wont even need 3rd volume. Thinking about selling my Marshall VBA 400 rig now- wonder how much I`ll get for it?

Cheers

Bob

[quote name='stinson' post='510596' date='Jun 10 2009, 08:13 PM']LM11 + 1212L = Great combo. Sod those big cabs. Am gassing for a VT pedal now though :)[/quote]

Just get one - Fender P or J + VT Bass + Markbass rig sounds awesome!