Why become a member? ×

Single Cut basses - Why?

wazz

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='53423' date='Aug 31 2007, 03:33 PM']FIIK![/quote]

???

All asthetics, really. Some may say there is more neck to body contact, but I doubt it makes any difference to tone. Single cut guitars like the Les Paul have been around years, so why not have single cut basses too?

Edited by Wil

:)

I suppose I should add that my SCs are there purely for the aesthetic value.

A technical difference that's mentioned on Jon Shuker's web site is that the truss rods on his SCs only go down to the 12th fret (shorter than normal then) because after that the neck is held rigidly to the body, so isn't needed.
If that's a pro or even a con I've no idea.

SCs tend to polarise people: like marmite!

I also should mention that it can be quite odd to play an SC at first if you're used to having your thumb over the top of the neck on the higher frets. It requites a change in how you position it, but it's not bad.

There are also semi-SCs where there is a branch from the body that connects into the neck so at the highest position you could still get your thumb through the hole. I've never tried one, but I think it could be really good (fixed playing position without having to look) or really bad (you get your thumb tangled up as you want to move back down the neck). Edited by Alpha-Dave

Aesthetics yes, maybe some give a little bit more strength to the neck/body join, but as for improved tone? pffft! I'd very much doubt the human ear could hear the difference.. 2 planks of wood would sound far more different to each other than the having a single or double cut difference.

I reckon it just looks pretty.. nuffink else. Well, actually, not having an upper horn stuck in your side is a bonus (if you play the bass a bit higher like me.) The flatter back of the singlecut is far more comfy. If you have nice rounded edges as well, you're snug as the proverbial bug!

*finds excuse to post more pics* [url="http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm"]http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm[/url]

I like the aesthetics of a single-cut (pretty useful, that, seeing as I own one!) - To be honest I don't know if there's any real benefit in sound/ playability terms over the regular shapes.

I decided to go for a SC as I reasoned it would be the only custom that I'd have made (certainly for a long time, any way!) so why not go the whole hog and have something really bespoke to me. It gets lots of good comments while I'm out and about - Possibly far more than my actual playing! :-)

Rich

Edited by RichBowman

I love um so much so that i built two for myself a 6 and a 4 both headless for some ppl thats a combinded multiple of evil's hehe

Id say it mostly aesthetics but maybe a teeny little bit more sustain
Everyone to there own i guess but it would sure be a boaring world (aesthetically and tonealy) if we all played sunburst jazz'ers 4's (not that theres anything wrong with jazzer's)

I would go a bit further.

[b][size=7]Upper Horn basses - Why?[/size][/b]

Given that your thumb doesn't go over the neck what's its purpose other than putting the strap button in the right place, so why not have it going all the way down to the neck?

Apologies for the bigger than intended font :)

Edited by GreeneKing

Jeez, there's no need to shout!

Following a similar line of thought: why do people assume that what Leo first designed, P&J (I believe his aims were low cost and good functionality) was the pinnacle of evolution from the start, and any changes are bad? For a low-cost instrument he did very well, but he certainly didn't go all out: IMHO the neck-plate and huge heel block are more of an impediment to higher fret playing than an SC, but I very much doubt that was his aim anyway!

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='53925' date='Sep 1 2007, 05:55 PM']IMHO the neck-plate and huge heel block are more of an impediment to higher fret playing than an SC,[/quote]

yes, there are plenty of other things that will provoke a reaction from me than the addition of an extra li'l square of wood at the top of the bass body!!!

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='53925' date='Sep 1 2007, 05:55 PM']Jeez, there's no need to shout!
Following a similar line of thought: why do people assume that what Leo first designed, P&J (I believe his aims were low cost and good functionality) was the pinnacle of evolution from the start, and any changes are bad? For a low-cost instrument he did very well, but he certainly didn't go all out: IMHO the neck-plate and huge heel block are more of an impediment to higher fret playing than an SC, but I very much doubt that was his aim anyway![/quote]

let's not forget the fact that he made them 1 semitone short of a 4 octave range. And he made a 5 string with 15 frets, that also really makes you wonder what he was thinking. The point is tho i don't mind modern basses, infact i prefer 5 strings to 4, it's just that i really hate SCs