Why become a member? ×

Allparts

molan

I ordered two sets of replacement gold knobs for my Spectors as I thought the plain black plastic ones looked a little boring.

The stacked knobs for treble & bass arrived first & looked Ok. About a week alter the single controls for volume & balance arrived.

Got the basses out, removed the plastic knobs and. . . .

Well - first I discovered they wern't matching sets. The single knobs are domed, push fit with a paler gold colour. The stacked ones are flat topped, allen key locked & darker.

Then when I looked closer at the stacked sets I noticed both of the upper knobs were tarnished where the gold finish hasn't taken properly! Neither are awful but I don't know whether this is a sing of dodgy workmanship & will mean that if I get replacements then they will tarnish easily.

Plus I now have to put the bloody original knobs back on again, grrr.

So - just wondered if anyone has had problems with fit & finish of parts, especially gold, from Allparts in the past?

[quote name='molan' post='506650' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:37 PM']sing of dodgy workmanship[/quote]

Never had much of a problem with Allparts (exept for timing) as long as you get the order number right - better description (by pics) would help.

Now , altogether now ......

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='506677' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:15 PM']Never had much of a problem with Allparts (exept for timing) as long as you get the order number right - better description (by pics) would help.

Now , altogether now ......[/quote]

Sounds like a cue for a Frank Zappa song :)

They did have the right parts number. Even the invoice had all the correct information, they just sent the wrong bits.

Mistakes happen. I think I had an ordered mung years ago when they were pincotts, but they sorted it out with the minimum of hassle. I don't know what their gold parts are like 'cause I've never ordered any - I don't like my basses to look like Hyacinth Bucket's bathroom fittings. :rolleyes:

Did you contact them to give them a chance to sort it out? If not its a bit odd to post here first. :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='506752' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:53 AM']Mistakes happen. I think I had an ordered mung years ago when they were pincotts, but they sorted it out with the minimum of hassle. I don't know what their gold parts are like 'cause I've never ordered any - I don't like my basses to look like Hyacinth Bucket's bathroom fittings. :rolleyes:

Did you contact them to give them a chance to sort it out? If not its a bit odd to post here first. :)[/quote]

I'm waiting for a response back.

I was more concerned with the quality of the metal finish than the wrong items being sent.

Just worried that if I fit them and they start flaking in the future then it'll be more of a pain to get them replaced.

Usually friendly, quick and helpful. Occasional waits while items are ordered in from the States.

One time they sent me the wrong size truss rod spanner. Phoned 'em - they apologised and put the correct one in the post straight away, telling me not to bother to send the other one back and saying: "You never know, it might come in useful".

Which seemed fair.

Edited by skankdelvar

Latest update is that I haven't received a peep from them.

Given that I completed the entire transaction online I assumed the online response form that gets sent by email would actually get read by someone.

I've written three times (technically 4 because I had to add a comment to the 1st email) & not even an acknowledgement.

Obviously I'll need to phone them but it does seem a bit rubbish really.

When I initially wrote to the USA division to ask for advice on exactly which units to buy they responded in hours. Just goes to show the difference in service levels. . .

[quote name='molan' post='510512' date='Jun 10 2009, 07:01 PM']Latest update is that I haven't received a peep from them.

Given that I completed the entire transaction online I assumed the online response form that gets sent by email would actually get read by someone.

I've written three times (technically 4 because I had to add a comment to the 1st email) & not even an acknowledgement.

Obviously I'll need to phone them but it does seem a bit rubbish really.

When I initially wrote to the USA division to ask for advice on exactly which units to buy they responded in hours. Just goes to show the difference in service levels. . .[/quote]

Have you looked at their website?

[quote name='Allparts Website']Contact us by e-mail to [email protected] or use the text box below - if you want a quick answer it's best to ring us up - we get a lot of e-mails which can take some time to answer![/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='510521' date='Jun 10 2009, 07:12 PM']Have you looked at their website?[/quote]

I did spot that but I thought giving them 3 days to reply to an email ought to do the trick - obviously not, lol.

Typically they are only about 20 minutes away from me as well - I'll probably end up just driving over there :)

I did eventually get a reply to my 3rd email - it kinda said "we're too busy to reply to emails".

I'm afraid I still think it's a bit rubbish to run an online business that isn't able to manage customer email queries.

I thought this kind of practice had died out years ago!

[quote name='molan' post='516161' date='Jun 17 2009, 09:57 AM']I did eventually get a reply to my 3rd email - it kinda said "we're too busy to reply to emails".[/quote]

Phoning them is definitely the best option - do all my orders by phone. They've always been really helpful. Can't understand this...

• 2 weeks later...

Final postscript to this -

The email I received said that if I returned the parts by post they would be checked & I'd receive replacements.

So I duly post them off & waited a couple of days for the replacement parts to arrive.

An envelope arrived today with a refund. No explanations, no apologies for the delays & they didn't cover the cost I incurred posting the items back (it wasn't very much but the gesture might have been nice).

Unless I'm desperate for something that no-one stocks I won't be using them again. . .

[quote name='molan' post='506650' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:37 PM']Well - first I discovered they wern't matching sets. The single knobs are domed, push fit with a paler gold colour. The stacked ones are flat topped, allen key locked & darker.

Then when I looked closer at the stacked sets I noticed both of the upper knobs were tarnished where the gold finish hasn't taken properly! Neither are awful but I don't know whether this is a sing of dodgy workmanship & will mean that if I get replacements then they will tarnish easily.

Plus I now have to put the bloody original knobs back on again, grrr.

So - just wondered if anyone has had problems with fit & finish of parts, especially gold, from Allparts in the past?[/quote]

Yup, pretty much the same story with me -- ordered two sets of wooden knobs at the same time, when they arrived they were noticeably different, and one of them was cracked.

That on it's own is not so bad, however the they proceeded to completely ignore the two emails i sent them explaining the situation -- basically, i'm never using them again. t*ssers. :)

It felt to me that they seemed to think they were doing me some sort of favour by allowing me to buy something from them.

Having dealt with the US side of the business I was really surprised. The US guys are great, quick response times, very friendly, eager to help etc.

Just out of interest I wrote to Allparts in the USA & said that Uk response times were rubbish.

They replied in about 15 minutes flat & offered to sort my order by shipping direct from the USA.

Haven't checked pricing differential or shipping etc. yet though.