Why become a member? ×

Canned heat

YouMa

The Canned Heat, "Born to boogie" as they used to say.

The original bass player was Larry "the mole" Taylor and he played on the hits in the late 60`s and at woodstock, big fat guy with a handlebar moustache and a sunburst P bass. Great blues player. He was also one of the session players on some of the monkey`s hits.

Sex, drugs, alcohol, blues, death, hells angels, being ripped off, a great story and they are still going I believe. If you see a copy of a book called Canned Heat-Living the blues, buy it!

Jez :)

[quote name='YouMa' post='506649' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:35 PM']....Anyone like canned heat?....[/quote]
Useless info time:

Canned Heat was a cheap and lethal alcoholic drink made by adding water to Sterno, a barbeque cooking fuel containing methanol. A lot of the old blues players drank it, which is where the band got the name.

[quote name='chris_b' post='506751' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:45 AM']Useless info time:

Canned Heat was a cheap and lethal alcoholic drink made by adding water to Sterno, a barbeque cooking fuel containing methanol. A lot of the old blues players drank it, which is where the band got the name.[/quote]

Well that can't be sensible now can it. :)

Don't know much about canned heat, but yer man Taylor, now plays for Tom Waits on a fairly regular basis, right crackin' he is too!

[quote name='YouMa' post='506649' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:35 PM']Anyone like canned heat? Time was is a great bass line,a really groovy band as well.[/quote]

Yea, lovely & soft.

Last seen doing the backing track to Waitrose TV ads. How many of the originals still left alive?

"I'm already in a fog, I don't need the machine." I'll go dust ma broom!

Balcro

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='506713' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:55 PM']Sex, drugs, alcohol, blues, death, hells angels, being ripped off, a great story and they are still going I believe.

Jez :rolleyes:[/quote]

I saw "Canned Heat" a few years ago on a tour with Dr Feelgood. Just the original drummer and some session players. Dreadful. :)

One of the few bands who really make me smile, just out and out we don't give a f**k rock 'n' roll. I was in a clothes shop with she who must be obeyed a few years back and they were playing the usual crap music (B. Spears IIRC). All of a sudden 'Going Down Country' came on. The girl behind the counter, seeing my psoitive reaction, gave me a great smile and did a little boogie. The boss immediately told her to change the sounds back to Britney's Greatest Hits or whatever it was. Nice moment though.
Apparently they were the loudest LIVE band of the 60's?

This has it all - groovy hippy chicks, Hells Angels, cool slide guitar and Larry 'The Mole'.

THIS, all you Jacoesque slappers, poppers with too much treble, is BASS

A little Mississippi noise.........

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_7c67E3qfo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_7c67E3qfo[/url]

Enjoy