Why become a member? ×

Re-painting a 78 jazz?? why? why not?

bassmeg

Can anyone stop me from doing this?

The paintwork on my jazz is as far as i am aware original and it looks like the timber has over the years swollen and dried out, and the result is that the paint has cracked and pretty much webbed all over. I love the 78 jazz look, (although black is not my fravorite colour) so when tempted to change the bass i always back out.

So i reckon what i need is to spruce it up with a damn good paint job. Anyone seen MarloweDKs salmony red colour (dont know the actual colour) jazz? Well i think thats what i want. This will keep me happy for a while at least, cant stop the GAS urge.

So if you look at my guitar i would like to know other peoples views to why i should or should not go for it. What are the pros and cons? Why would this guitar be more desirable with the original cracked paint?

If i do go through with this where can i get it done?

While i am at it, how can i tell if the bass is 100% original. I have owned this bass for 7 years now, ihave the original hardcase and have just assumed that it is all original.

[attachment=26115:end_of_preg_057.JPG] [attachment=26116:end_of_preg_069.JPG]

[attachment=26117:end_of_preg_063.JPG] [attachment=26118:end_of_preg_062.JPG]

[attachment=26119:end_of_preg_064.JPG] [attachment=26120:end_of_preg_060.JPG]

I was about to say 'Don't do it, you'll devalue it' - until I looked at the pix. That's the most extreme crazing I've ever seen on a poly finish Fender - might be that it's already been repainted, 'cos I ain't seen one like that before! Don't think a refin would hurt.

As for 100% orig - unsure whether the vol, vol, tone knobs are original...others such as muskie or wateroftyne would be among your best guides on this

I had a Fender Lead II (bought from a mate from my local pub for £25) made in the early 80s that had the same black/crazed finish - IIRC I was told at the time that Fender had to stop using nitro because of all the fumes being pumped out of the factory, and the finish was an early poly that didn't work too well :)

I stripped off the bits that didn't just fall off and oiled/waxed it, sold on ebay a year later for £200 :rolleyes:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='500318' date='May 28 2009, 10:00 PM']That's the first time I've ever seen scariasis of the bass. :)
Have you checked the neck pocket, to see if there are traces of other colours?
Has the bass been in a really humid environment?[/quote]

I feel like im on embarrassing illnesses for bass!

will check bass for other colours, maybe it has at some point been mistreated by previous owners.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='500328' date='May 28 2009, 10:09 PM']I had a Fender Lead II (bought from a mate from my local pub for £25) made in the early 80s that had the same black/crazed finish - IIRC I was told at the time that Fender had to stop using nitro because of all the fumes being pumped out of the factory, and the finish was an early poly that didn't work too well :)

I stripped off the bits that didn't just fall off and oiled/waxed it, sold on ebay a year later for £200 :rolleyes:[/quote]

nice work fella :lol:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='500346' date='May 28 2009, 10:19 PM']I think it looks awesome, and I will cheerfully trade you my salmon pink 'custom' jazz for it. Its like a crackle finish without being 80s and something that Shockwave would buy.

[/quote]

definatly the coulour im after, but i also love block inlays and bound necks.

Thanks for your generous offer though my friend.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='500346' date='May 28 2009, 10:19 PM'][/quote]

Whoa, freaky upside down headstock! Gig that and it will really confuse folk after a few pints.. :)

Edited by rjb

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='500383' date='May 28 2009, 10:59 PM']Anyway, don't refin it, just get a new body and swap all the hardware. The colour is fiesta red, in addition mine had be hung in a shop window for ages till it went lighter, the original fingerboard had gone pretty much grey.[/quote]

What is your bass? That headstock is a head turner. Is it a frankenstien lefty neck right body thingy? :)

[quote name='bassmeg' post='500387' date='May 28 2009, 11:03 PM']What is your bass? That headstock is a head turner. Is it a frankenstien lefty neck right body thingy? :)[/quote]

Yep, my first accumulate parts and assemble them into a new instrument project. Figured lefty neck from ebay, Johnson body, brass inserts and hex head machine screws holding the neck on super rigid, Kent armstrong pups, stack knobs and a super adjustable Gotoh bridge. Some stuff doesn't quite fit together, but everything that needs to be mechanically strong is super strong, so it sounds kinda pianoey.

Just do it, I think that with the paint on it damaged in such an un mojo like way people wouldn't be keen on it anyway and it wouldn't be worth normal rates, so I don't think you'd lose the value of the refin.

You'd probably have to keep a before and after photo to show people why it was refinished, that might claim part of the percieved value back if you did decide to sell.

I've seen quite a lot of black 70s Fenders with the same finish crazing. My '73 Precision is black and it has the same 'issue' so yours is by no means an exception. If it was mine I wouldn't do a thing to it as I quite like it when they go that way! But if its not your cup of tea go for it. As long as its a good re-fin it shouldn't do much to the value. How about a natural finish?

You have either a refinish or another of Fenders "problem" basses, so you could have an appreciating asset, even with the bad paint job or not! If you repaint it you'll just have a bass! Is there anyone you can get to check out if this is original?

Is it everything that you want in a bass except for the damaged finish? If so get a pro refin done. Someone like [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/finish.html"]Steve Robinson[/url] or [url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/sprayshop.htm"]Sims Custom[/url].

If not sell it to someone who's after an all original Fender and buy something that is exactly what you want.

Is it everything that you want in a bass except for the damaged finish?

No. I wanna good active one. I wanna red one. I wanna maple fretboard one. I wanna fretless one. I wanna 5 string one. OOOHHH I dont really know what i want, but i know i dont want rid of my jazz. I think i will have to leave it as is and get a new bass to satisfy at the mo. But i wanna MM one. I wanna status one, i could go on forever.

I think Status, never tried one but really like em and i want a modern sound.

Edited by bassmeg

I have a near-identical black 78 Jazz that I bought from Andy's about five years ago. It too has the same paint-crazing. In fact it's so bad now that the paint is coming off in flakes. There is no white primer underneath it, and the neck pocket is about 80% black too. For a little while this evidence led me to think it might be a badly done refinish, but I've seen several black '78 Jazzes in the same, or near same condition. Fender finish quality was seriously hit-and-miss at the time and the black Jazzes of the time seem to have had it particularly bad. Perhaps there's a good chemical reason for that.

You might consider doing what I did with mine and just ask a local luthier to swap out the body for an aftermarket (Warmoth, Allparts) one (they'll have to drill a third screw hole for the three bolt joint, but it looks okay) and get them to finish it in your ideal colour. That way you don't destroy the 'original' value of the bass, and if you sell it on the buyer has a 'modular' vintage bass...