Why become a member? ×

Sacked..............

yorick

[quote name='yorick' post='500234' date='May 28 2009, 08:38 PM']As of today i am no longer the bass player in my (ex)main band. Apparently, i've been made the scapegoat for the bands inability to "reach the next level". The rest of the band have been talking about it for ages without my knowledge!!!!! Basically according to the email, "we think you've been unhappy for a while.....". Was i asked? Was i feck. "We'll be playing FLASHIER songs....." Was i asked to work them out, or if i was able to play them? Errrr, no. The only bit that had a ring of truth was about my reluctance to wear better stage wear and wigs. Even this was never mentioned, as in "Nige, we'd like you to make a bit more effort in your onstage appearance".

Rant over.[/quote]

Its always bad news when this happens but is it really out of the blue?
Have you been unhappy? As for the wigs etc, if your in a tribute band you really do have to make an effort and do the best you can. It sounds like the rest do want to go that far but you didnt. Im sure it had been mentioned to you in the past (band meetings etc when the decision to wear wigs must have come up) and maybe you chose to ignore it or didnt speak up. Being in a band is about all aiming for the same thing, i guess maybe you wasnt in to it as much as the others.
Sounds like you didnt or wouldn't go all the way so i can understand why this has happened.
Im not defending the others or agree with the bit about not reaching the next level but why else would they sack you?

I cant see why people are saying "screw them". We dont know them and this sort of thing happens all the time IME. It really could be for the best for both parties.

Again, i feel for you and can totally understand how you feel but maybe it is for the best.

Good luck with whatever you go on to do. Choose wisely next time.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='500677' date='May 29 2009, 11:02 AM']I cant see why people are saying "screw them". We dont know them and this sort of thing happens all the time IME. It really could be for the best for both parties.[/quote]

because anybody with an ounce of decency wouldn't sack somebody over email. imho of course :)

[quote name='bumfrog' post='500687' date='May 29 2009, 11:14 AM']because anybody with an ounce of decency wouldn't sack somebody over email. imho of course :)[/quote]

Fair enough. I agree with that but they have also been called twats and that they wont go anywhere etc. Why, because they sack a bass player via email?
IME its bands that do make big decisions like sacking someone because they don't fit in that have more drive than those bands (like mine) who just put up with it.
Again, im not knocking the OP but i think a good band is a band where everyone gets on and is happy, all on the same wavelength and it sounds like, for what ever reason that this band wasn't.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='500694' date='May 29 2009, 11:19 AM']Fair enough. I agree with that but they have also been called twats and that they wont go anywhere etc. Why, because they sack a bass player via email?[/quote]

twats - most definitely, because of they way they have carried themselves. Won't go anywhere - well only time will tell, but in my experience, bands that are carrying on like this before they've even got anywhere usually self implode because of ego problems.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='500703' date='May 29 2009, 11:31 AM']twats - most definitely, because of they way they have carried themselves. Won't go anywhere - well only time will tell, but in my experience, bands that are carrying on like this before they've even got anywhere usually self implode because of ego problems.[/quote]

I dont agree. Just because a band dont like/get on/want better etc doesnt mean its an ego thing. If something isnt right (and it sounds like its not been right for a while) then you do something about it.
I hate being in bands where you have to keep telling someone what to do. you should all make the same effort and want the same thing. If someone doesn't then you have to think about what can be done.
None of this has anything to do with being on an ego trip etc although you do need some sort of "attitude " to get anywhere these days.
And im not saying the OP was any of the above but it sounds like his band thought that, so it seems to me it wasnt a "happy" band and they needed to do something about it.

I still agree about the email thing so im not defending them, just cant see how this means they will never make it etc as some have posted.
Personally i dont think there is a huge market for what they are doing and so dont think they will make it (what ever that is for a Tribute band)

All IMHO of course.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='500717' date='May 29 2009, 11:40 AM']I dont agree. Just because a band dont like/get on/want better etc doesnt mean its an ego thing. If something isnt right (and it sounds like its not been right for a while) then you do something about it.
I hate being in bands where you have to keep telling someone what to do. you should all make the same effort and want the same thing. If someone doesn't then you have to think about what can be done.
None of this has anything to do with being on an ego trip etc although you do need some sort of "attitude " to get anywhere these days.
And im not saying the OP was any of the above but it sounds like his band thought that, so it seems to me it wasnt a "happy" band and they needed to do something about it.[/quote]

yeh, I do agree with what you're saying in that respect.

In my experience with bands I've know and people I've known who shoulder the whole "attitude" thing whilst still playing small venues, thinking that they are bigger and better than they actually are, and it being like a conveyor belt of musicians, never last because word gets around and they reach a point whereby nobody will actually want to play with them.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='500687' date='May 29 2009, 11:14 AM']because anybody with an ounce of decency wouldn't sack somebody over email. imho of course :)[/quote]

LOL!
That's the modern age of spinlessness you see...WHy bother telling it to someones face when you can use technology to tell them over distance.
It's as bad as the old chestnut of being dumped over a text in the old days of school. :rolleyes:

Don't know if there's any Nightwish fans in here.

But Tuomas (keyboardist, songwriter, band leader) once decided to sack his old friend and bass player. He couldn't face doing it himself so had the label management do it. *sigh* On a later documentary he spends ages whinging about how he wished he had done it to the guy's face and how it's one of his biggest regrets.

Fast forward a few years and he sacks the vocalist (Tarja) by letter.

Pathetic. But otherwise seems like a cool guy.

[quote name='Kongo' post='500781' date='May 29 2009, 12:22 PM']LOL!
That's the modern age of spinlessness you see...WHy bother telling it to someones face when you can use technology to tell them over distance.
It's as bad as the old chestnut of being dumped over a text in the old days of school. :rolleyes:[/quote]

:lol:

happen to me recently, and I'm nowhere near school age....

some people I guess never learn..... :)

[quote name='Eight' post='500803' date='May 29 2009, 12:35 PM']Don't know if there's any Nightwish fans in here.

But Tuomas (keyboardist, songwriter, band leader) once decided to sack his old friend and bass player. He couldn't face doing it himself so had the label management do it. *sigh* On a later documentary he spends ages whinging about how he wished he had done it to the guy's face and how it's one of his biggest regrets.

Fast forward a few years and he sacks the vocalist (Tarja) by letter.

Pathetic. But otherwise seems like a cool guy.[/quote]

It's nice to see that people can learn from their regrets......or not!

[quote name='Kongo' post='500781' date='May 29 2009, 12:22 PM']It's as bad as the old chestnut of being dumped over a text in the old days of school. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Ah, not like it was back in my school days. We had none of yer fancy speaktext or interwebnet.
No, back then she got her mate to come and tell you that you were dumped, only for her to immediately start going out with bloody Duncan Bright instead, just 'cos he was better at sport and stuff, yeah well thanks a bunch Jane.

Errm, apparently. :)

[quote name='Rich' post='500873' date='May 29 2009, 01:16 PM']Ah, not like it was back in my school days. We had none of yer fancy speaktext or interwebnet.
No, back then she got her mate to come and tell you that you were dumped, only for her to immediately start going out with bloody Duncan Bright instead, just 'cos he was better at sport and stuff, yeah well thanks a bunch Jane.

Errm, apparently. :)[/quote]

Unlucky...... At least it was done by a person!!! :rolleyes: Scarred for life???

[quote name='yorick' post='500901' date='May 29 2009, 01:36 PM']Unlucky...... At least it was done by a person!!! :) Scarred for life???[/quote]
No, I'm doing OK. I'm finding that I'm becoming less and less reliant on the Jane-shaped voodoo doll, and the dartboard with Duncan's gurning face on it. And it's only taken 29 years so far.

[size=1]Jane and Duncan actually got married eventually. Some years later, they got divorced. When I found out, I chuckled a bit.
I'm going to Hell for that, aren't I?[/size]

[quote name='Rich' post='500907' date='May 29 2009, 01:43 PM']No, I'm doing OK. I'm finding that I'm becoming less and less reliant on the Jane-shaped voodoo doll, and the dartboard with Duncan's gurning face on it. And it's only taken 29 years so far.

[size=1]Jane and Duncan actually got married eventually. Some years later, they got divorced. When I found out, I chuckled a bit.
I'm going to Hell for that, aren't I?[/size][/quote]

Not necessarily. Maybe one of Her Brittanic Majesty's asylums for the bitter, twisted and lonely!!! :)

IME, there are [i]usually[/i] 2 reasons for being sacked:

1. You are a PITA to work with.
2. You're not musically up to the job.

Neither can be remedied overnight, so, in that respect there is not much to discuss.

Bands don't usually fire musicians for fun. My guess is that this has been building up for a while, you just weren't reading the signs.

Text, Letter, Phone call, Face to face....sacked is sacked!

Steve

[quote name='Rich' post='500907' date='May 29 2009, 01:43 PM']No, I'm doing OK. I'm finding that I'm becoming less and less reliant on the Jane-shaped voodoo doll, and the dartboard with Duncan's gurning face on it. And it's only taken 29 years so far.

I'm going to Hell for that, aren't I?[/size][/quote]

Sing along now ...

Oh ... she's a slag and he's a creep
She's a tart, he's very cheap
She is a sl*t, he thinks he's tough
She is a b***h, he is a puff
Yeah yeah, it's not fair
Yeah yeah, it's not fair :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='SteveK' post='500913' date='May 29 2009, 01:53 PM']IME, there are [i]usually[/i] 2 reasons for being sacked:

Neither can be remedied overnight, so, in that respect there is not much to discuss.

Bands don't usually fire musicians for fun. My guess is that this has been building up for a while, you just weren't reading the signs.

Steve[/quote]

Actually some do.
My friend went to join and band and succeeded. Now he was more telented, musically minded and punctual than thier guitarist current who he was paired with...he then finds out they have "Split" and he was last to know...Fair enough...Then later he checks the myspace and finds they are still active...and they have replace him!

In college it happened the same to another friend, college friend not personal. Both he and the 2nd vocalist were asked to leave the band because they wanted to try "different things" only for them to be replaced and the band did the same thing...in fact they even took the parts they wrote.

So yeah, some musicians can be damn right mean and childish.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='500925' date='May 29 2009, 02:01 PM']Actually some do.
My friend went to join and band and succeeded. NOw he was more telented, musically minded and punctual than thier guitarist current who he was paired with...he then finds out they have "Split" and he was last to know...Fair enough...Then later he checks the myspace and finds they are still active...and they have replace him!

In college it happened the same to another friend, college friend not personal. Both he and the 2nd vocalist were asked to leave the band because rthey wanted to try "different things" only for them to be replaced and the band did the same thing...in fact they even took the parts they wrote.

So yeah, some musicians can be damn right mean and childish.[/quote]

I had a friend who was sacked from a band for being too fat, because it didn't fit their image. Bearing in mind they were playing in pubs....!!!!!!

Also seen people sacked for offering to play with other people, or one person got sacked because they had a go at the vocalist because he kept turning up late to stuff.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='500927' date='May 29 2009, 02:04 PM']I had a friend who was sacked from a band for being too fat, because it didn't fit their image. Bearing in mind they were playing in pubs....!!!!!!

Also seen people sacked for offering to play with other people, or one person got sacked because they had a go at the vocalist because he kept turning up late to stuff.[/quote]

Yep!
In my search to make a new band with my friend we found that, no offense to anyone here, musicians can be a right waste of time, backstabbing and inconsistant.
In the end the band became of the same members minus one and plus another from the one that split and we've never been better!

So maybe find a band with friends, people who understand and respect YOU and you do the same back.
Because a human doesn't care about YOU and only themself you could get sacked easily. But a friend knows you and will understand if somethings up, and when the time comes to kick thier arse in gear, it's done understanably...if you catch me. :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='500913' date='May 29 2009, 01:53 PM']IME, there are [i]usually[/i] 2 reasons for being sacked:

Steve[/quote]

It’s a hard line, but I kind of agree with this – it’s rare for a band member to be sacked without there being serious fundamental issues.

It’s pretty sh*t the way it happened though man, definitely feel for you.

Steve[/quote]

There are usually 2 reasons for being sacked...from a band made up of mature, professionally minded musicians IMO.

I was 'sacked' from a band for not being committed enough, and that was after I turned a gig down at the Canadian Grand Prix, because I'd already committed to the gigs with the band that ultimately sacked me.

I was definately musically up to the job, having been told so by the band after I learnt the entire set before the first audition/rehearsal...I noticed the replacement didn't do that...And even after they ignored me at gigs, and onstage because I couldn't afford to drive an extra hundred miles collecting PA, aswell as storing it, and taking responsibility for its replacement if it was stolen (it wasn't insured - they refused to do this), I still refused to act unprofessionally, being nothing but polite, helpful, arriving and setting up on time and keeping out of the way of any trouble they wanted to cause.

The truth is that some people aren't mature - they're no more mature than the average 2 year old...They are cowards.

Just to be clear, this was a band in which my opinion had no effect - it wasn't a democracy where people can suggest things. There were no band meetings and the name of the band was the singer/guitarist's name.

But you are right about it building up for a while...I've learnt my lesson and I've moved onto bigger and better things because of it! :)