Why become a member? ×

SX bass project FINISHED!!!

neilb

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='73634' date='Oct 13 2007, 01:21 AM']They are the same ones that loads of shops got offered at the same time around the UK, tend to come with a d'addario I think it was tag on them for the strings etc, they did P/J basses and Strats/Teles.[/quote]

OK Thanks.
the good SX's come with D'adds too so maybe they come from the same place (as Jim Deacons are rumoured to) or maybe D'addario China has a very successful sales team.
I'd stick with a non-starter pack SX though as they are easily identifiable and seem to have a consistently good reputation.

[quote name='OldGit' post='75114' date='Oct 16 2007, 04:08 PM']Just ordered this

Fingers crossed for a happier courier experience ..[/quote]

Nice one OG. Keep us posted with your purchase. And your mods!!!!!

We will have to start a UK SX Owners Club!! Could hold AGMs in a phone box probably...... :)

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='75125' date='Oct 16 2007, 04:27 PM']Nice one OG. Keep us posted with your purchase. And your mods!!!!!

We will have to start a UK SX Owners Club!! Could hold AGMs in a phone box probably...... :huh:[/quote]

ha ha yeah

I'm just planning to check it all over for lumpy frets, swap the strings and bridge (for a Gotoh 201, probably)
Then, assuming I can master soldering :huh: swap the pots and wires for an S1 style Series/Parallel
setup on a push pull.

I'll see how that is.

If it's as good as my Shukers I'll just sell them and buy two or three hundred of these instead

:huh: :huh: :) :huh:

I'm bummed. My order has been cancelled because of credit card indescrepancies!! :huh: They keep saying my addresses don't match. I moved house two months ago and everything has been sorted with my bank and cc provider but it just aint working on their site. Kind of f*£cked off. I wanted to call Rondo to sort it but there is no phone number and that Kurt guy went a bit cold on me. Looks like no SX for Tom. :)

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' post='75361' date='Oct 17 2007, 12:02 AM']I'm bummed. My order has been cancelled because of credit card indescrepancies!! :huh: They keep saying my addresses don't match. I moved house two months ago and everything has been sorted with my bank and cc provider but it just aint working on their site. Kind of f*£cked off. I wanted to call Rondo to sort it but there is no phone number and that Kurt guy went a bit cold on me. Looks like no SX for Tom. :)[/quote]

I tried to use my credit card but their system wouldn't process it.
You can use PayPal .. Just select it from the "select payment type" drop down on the shopping cart page.

[quote name='OldGit' post='76753' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:57 PM']Just love tracking the parcels :)
I do worry about the carbon footprint though:

China to the US then

LEBANON, NH
MEMPHIS, TN
STANSTED GB

Not here yet .. Monday I guess ..[/quote]

Did it arrive?

Thoughts?

[quote name='cetera' post='78528' date='Oct 23 2007, 09:10 PM']Did it arrive?

Thoughts?[/quote]

Yeah Arrived Monday.
Looks great and feels fine - fantastic for 100 pounds. (no duty hounds so far)
It says hand made on the headstock and I think a number of people could be convinced that it was ...

The truss rod needs a tweak but I don't have an allen key/hex wrench to fit .. they sent the wrong one but are sending another ...

I'm well chuffed ..

I did this around a year ago with a 'no-name' Jazz, which turned out to be a Jim Deacon, which is made by SX. It's complicated.

Anyway, bought it new from ebay for £100, fitted a Gotoh bridge and persuaded the missus to buy me an Audere pre for last Christmas. Not wanting to use the stock pickups, I also fitted a pair of split coil Barts at the same time. I screened the cavity as well.

Plays very well and gigs very well too. No complaints from me - the neck is wonderful. Actually, the only thing that bothers me is the slight misalignment of the scratchplate on the lower horn.

I'm going to be fitting a set of GHS Brite Flats as soon as they come in.

D.

Hi guys,
just a wee bit of good news for anyone thinking of pimping an SX bass.

I contacted Rondo Music about the short scale Jaguar Bass they did recently, they're not going to make them again till next year, but anyway...

Kurt who deals with all this stuff is trying to negotiate better rates with FedEx for shipping to the UK, so soon enough it shouldn't cost so much to get them over here!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='78834' date='Oct 24 2007, 02:20 PM']Hi guys,

I contacted Rondo Music about the short scale Jaguar Bass they did recently, they're not going to make them again till next year, but anyway...

Kurt who deals with all this stuff is trying to negotiate better rates with FedEx for shipping to the UK, so soon enough it shouldn't cost so much to get them over here!

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Excellent!

[quote name='eude' post='78834' date='Oct 24 2007, 02:20 PM']Hi guys,

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

The irish dealer may have one ..
[url="http://www.waltons.ie/waltonsshop/"]http://www.waltons.ie/waltonsshop/[/url]
None showing but they sent me a long list of stock when I emailed them.

[quote name='TPJ' post='72365' date='Oct 10 2007, 07:00 PM']I just ordered one of these...

I can't wait. I'm hoping it arrives before next Weds when I have a small tour in Denmark. I'm waiting for a Gotoh 201 to put on mine as well. Damn postal workers!

I'll post the pics when it arrives and the mods are done.[/quote]
Yeah, this tracking is great.

Picked up 25th
At Stansted 27th!

Hope to have it this week as well as my bridge with any luck

Damn The Feds got me :)
Invoice for the duty arrived this morning ... in the old days they demanded that before giving you the goods .. oh well ..

Sorted the "truss rod key won't fit in the hole" problem .. Local guitar whiz Dave Dearnley took it into his inner sanctum and when he emerged 3 minutes later the truss rod key hole was sorted. "Chinese 4 mm" he said. I don't knwo what he did .. something involving a mallet I suspect

He then asked me what strings and tuning I was using and tweaked the rod by eye there and then.
I was very impressed by his confidence, especially as the neck was not actually on the body at the the time ...
"Wow! What a total wizard" I thought (not only because he looks like something out of Wizzard circa 1971)
Mind you when I put the neck back on the bass it was totally over tightened :huh: Good ol' Dave, had me going for a bit there :huh:
Still with a tweak it now has decent action. New strigs are in the post.

Nearly took it jammin' last night but put my Shuker on for comparison and had a "life's too short" moment :huh:

Received my bass the other day. Got a bit beat up in the post though. A 5p chunk of paint missing on the bottom edge and a small bit near the neck. The paint finish looks very delicate as in, touch it with anything and it will chip. I'm not really fanatical about keeping my instruments in pristine condition so it's no great shakes but the primer below the black paint is grey so the chips really stand out.

Also, the neck has some issues. It looks as if the second fret is high so when you play F on the the low E string, it buzzes like a banshee. No amount of adjustments helped this so I'm about to carry out my first fret stoning/leveling as an experiment as soon as I locate the tools. I like learning about guitar setup and maintenance and this bass was only £100 so it's the ideal donor. There's another good neck lying around the house somewhere if it all goes pear shaped.

Overall it will be a good bass to have around once it's sorted. The tone is ok and there are no electrical buzzes or issues.

I'll keep a bit of a diary on the fret work either here or in the Tech-Repairs section.

Cheers

TPJ

Sorry to hear your bass is damaged. Even at cheap prices, its still a pain in the 'arris.

My money is its on the UK handlers at Stansted. They are all blind Polish criminals you know!!

May be worth emailing Kurt (re the fret issue) at Rondo and see what he suggests. He may even send you a replacement neck if your very nice to him. Its only the fact your half way round the world that is stopping you returning it, so he may be sympathetic. If not, the new neck are only about £30 I think.

I suppose I was lucky with mine, not a mark on it.