Why become a member? ×

SX bass project FINISHED!!!

neilb

As most of us know, the Talkbass forum in the US has no end of threads on SX basses and the general consensus is that they are one of the best BUDGET basses available. However, most/all of the posters who have them are in the US cos thats where the distributer is.

So, Ive taken the rather cheap plunge (now Ive sold my Artcore 140!!!!! at last) and ordered one of these:

Im treating the whole exercise as a test of Rondos export service, quality of product for the money and a good old "mod" project.

So far, to buy the bass and get it shipped to Blighty has cost me £109. There will be VAT and import duty I know, that will be added to my final bill.

I intend to swap out the guard for a torty one, change the pups for some Wizards that Andy will make for me and exchange the bridge for a Gotoh 201.

I will also consider changing the tuners if they are naff.

If anyone is interested, I will post some pics etc of the upgrades as they happen.

I am aiming for this type of look:

Edited by neilb

Looks like a cool project! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

I've got a similar project going at the mo, but dunno whether to just post everything when its done, then people won't have to wait for the outcome haha!

Si

Ok, bass arrived this afternoon, 6 days in all. Didnt get charged any import tax or VAT!! Nice. They will catch up with me later no doubt.

First pics are the bass upon delivery. More yellow than I expected but in a strange way, I really dig the seventies vibe of the banana yellow.

The set up was out the box was a bit naff, so off came the factory strings, the bridge and the white plate.

Swapped the neck plate for my other "John Entwistle" etched jobby, the other resides on my Fender Aerodyne!!

I then shielded the cavities, lowered the pups a tad and put on a nice new torty plate.

Installed a Gotoh 201 chrome bridge, screwholes lined up perfectly......... things going toooooooo well!.

Re strung with new strings (I use Roberts Yellows at £7 a pack...bargain!).

Adjust string height and intonation and a bit of a tweak on the truss rod.

Tune up and............ very nice I say.

Looks the biz and plays nice for a dirt cheap bass. Neck a little thicker than a std jazz but still comfy.

Total price £ 170 ish.

Rondos service was excellent and the product well worth the money.

Totally worth the risk and an enjoyable little modding project.

[url="http://rondomusic.com"]Rondo Music[/url][attachment=2127:PICT0002.JPG]

Edited by neilb

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='neilb' post='55582' date='Sep 4 2007, 10:05 PM']Ok, bass arrived this afternoon, 6 days in all. Didnt get charged any import tax or VAT!! Nice. They will catch up with me later no doubt.

First pics are the bass upon delivery. More yellow than I expected but in a strange way, I really dig the seventies vibe of the banana yellow.

The set up was out the box was a bit naff, so off came the factory strings, the bridge and the white plate.

Swapped the neck plate for my other "John Entwistle" etched jobby, the other resides on my Fender Aerodyne!!

I then shielded the cavities, lowered the pups a tad and put on a nice new torty plate.

Installed a Gotoh 201 chrome bridge, screwholes lined up perfectly......... things going toooooooo well!.

Re strung with new strings (I use Roberts Yellows at £7 a pack...bargain!).

Adjust string height and intonation and a bit of a tweak on the truss rod.

Tune up and............ very nice I say.

Looks the biz and plays nice for a dirt cheap bass. Neck a little thicker than a std jazz but still comfy.

Total price £ 170 ish.

Rondos service was excellent and the product well worth the money.

Totally worth the risk and an enjoyable little modding project.[/quote]
Thanks for the diary, good stuff.

Thinking about ordering the short-scale Jazz, ATM. How are you finding the pups? Still want to swap them out?

Heard rumours that the frets are a bit sharp at the edges, have you found this to be true?

[quote name='ZPQ' post='64407' date='Sep 23 2007, 04:40 PM']Hi,

Looks really good.

I assume this was from rondomusic.com?
I'm very tempted to get a 70's style 5 string.

Is the neck thicker front to back or wider?

Cheers
John[/quote]

To my mind, the neck is slightly larget in all aspects, bit more Precision size...but not quite....if you see?

Yes....Rondomusic.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered one of these...

I can't wait. I'm hoping it arrives before next Weds when I have a small tour in Denmark. I'm waiting for a Gotoh 201 to put on mine as well. Damn postal workers!

I'll post the pics when it arrives and the mods are done.

[quote name='neilb' post='72458' date='Oct 10 2007, 10:39 PM']Classic colour combo mate, keep us posted.

Im waiting for Rondo to get some more Precisions in now!!![/quote]

I may be up for one of these too ..

Gamlins in Cardiff had some SX Jazz bass starter kits about 18 months ago...
They don't have them listed on their website now (have the guitar pack though) so it may be worth a call before shipping in from the US ...
02920 220828

I asked them about other models but they have to make up a big order and one-offs don't work out cheap enough. However they may be putting in their Christmas order and may be willing to add a few specials to that. Worth the question

They used to have a really flamboyant Jazz with pearl s/p and gold hardware .. I can't see that on the Rondo site, mind you I don't see any 5's either but their ebay shop as them listed.

Also on ebay but in the UK is this listing for an SX Jazz bass starter kit in Red for £120 including practice amp and delivery ..
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SX-BG2K-JAZZ-BASS-STYLE-GUITAR-AMP-ACCESSORIES-RED_W0QQitemZ290166511694QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4713QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]eBay UK SX Jazz Bass pack[/url]

I did A-B the SX jazz like this one and the Squier they had (not a VM) and teh Squire felt better (but was over twice the price)
The SX felt Ok
Their own [url="http://www.gamlinsmusiccentre.com/productdetail.asp?catalogid=2011&catid=1&subcatid=4&manuid=77"]Jim Deacon £120 '62 Precision[/url] is very good, especially at that price.

Oh and don't forget the effect having a well cut bone nut can have on a budget bass. Well worth the money.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='72913' date='Oct 11 2007, 04:06 PM']The SX basses in the starter packs are a little different to the ones from Rondo. The starter pack basses all have 21 frets for a start.[/quote]

Ah Ok much as think 21 frets is actually the True Way, a real Rondo SX is a much more attractive option.
Thanks

[quote name='neilb' post='72458' date='Oct 10 2007, 10:39 PM']Classic colour combo mate, keep us posted.

Im waiting for Rondo to get some more Precisions in now!!![/quote]

Neil, How's the neck lacquer?
Some have said it's sticky and benefits from a sesh with some 400 grit ..
Cheers,
OG

I was planning on sanding the neck as part of the modding, but to be honest, Ive gigged with the bass twice now and its not too much of a problem. My hands dont stick at all.

Im not going to sand it at all now. The actual quality of the lacquer is quite nice I think, gives the neck a nice aged look.

Edited by neilb

There are quite a few SX basses on sale here in Dublin, at Waltons - haven't seriously considered them. You can see the prices [url="http://waltons.ie/waltonsshop/index.php?cPath=60_62&sort=2a&page=2"]here[/url]: it would be more cost-effective to import from, well, just about anywhere else. :)

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='73250' date='Oct 12 2007, 11:14 AM']Check out the SX Stingray on the Waltons site...

Active circuitry, 3-band EQ, Ash body. They've even got the 6-bolt neck and all for £265. Would love to play one to feel what they are like to play.[/quote]

Waltons emailed me their list - some nice stuff - BUT "We don't sell SX basses outside of Ireland"

"I wouldn't bother with SX, just get the no name basses you can find in places around the UK like bass centre."

Normally I'd agree but there are just too many people reporting stories like Neil's here about gently modding these and ending up with a fine bass. Anyway at a total cost including mods of about £150, it's hardly a huge risk and they have such a reputation that selling one on shoulln't be too hard.

[quote name='bnt' post='73128' date='Oct 12 2007, 12:37 AM']There are quite a few SX basses on sale here in Dublin, at Waltons - haven't seriously considered them. You can see the prices [url="http://waltons.ie/waltonsshop/index.php?cPath=60_62&sort=2a&page=2"]here[/url]: it would be more cost-effective to import from, well, just about anywhere else. :)[/quote]

I worked out the figures for the basic jazz .. They are $119 from Rondo, 179 euro from Waltons. Either works out about £145 shipped and duty paid.
If the duty hounds don't get you it would be about £102 from Rondo.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='73188' date='Oct 12 2007, 09:32 AM']I wouldn't bother with SX, just get the no name basses you can find in places around the UK like bass centre.[/quote]

Fair comment BUT.....has anyone bought and reviewed a "no name bass" from The Bass Centre?

I cant comment on them cos I havent played one. The SX I have bought, modded and now gig with regularly alongside my Fender.

All Im reporting is that it really is an excellent piece of kit for what I would call "silly money".

Ive posted a review to reassure other BCers that they are worth considering. I think a positive review far outweighs no review at all.

I got the bass from the US to my door in 6 days. Probably ordering from the BC would take no less than that.

The SX basses in the kits are definitely different models from those at Rondo, the quality is inferior.

That Oly white P Bass from WALTONS is looking nice but I will wait till Rondo has a new stock of Ps in I think.

Edited by neilb

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='73509' date='Oct 12 2007, 06:26 PM']I have one of the no name P basses, they are good quality, but the point was more that people could go to one of the places that sells them to try, they used to be all over the place.[/quote]

Yeah but ... how do I know that the no name I'm trying is the same as the one you are recommending? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='73511' date='Oct 12 2007, 06:30 PM']Yeah but ... how do I know that the no name I'm trying is the same as the one you are recommending? :)[/quote]

They are the same ones that loads of shops got offered at the same time around the UK, tend to come with a d'addario I think it was tag on them for the strings etc, they did P/J basses and Strats/Teles.