Why become a member? ×

SX bass project FINISHED!!!

neilb

I've played the SX Natural Jazz in a shop in Dublin last month , lovely little fella but suffering seriously from some weight issues. I'm talking noticably heavier than most. Bought a sexy SX LTD2 instead, not cheap but Ireland is expensive for everything at the moment.

• 1 year later...

I have a Brice HXB406 and it's great. The frets could do with filing down a bit at the edges, but they're not "slice a finger off" sharp, they just poke you gently. Looks awesome too.

Cost me £215 to my door a while back. Never really been used either (bought as a backup bass and my Ibanez is so reliable), it's probably going to get sold soon to fund something else. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='751284' date='Feb 19 2010, 07:27 PM']I have a Brice HXB406 and it's great. The frets could do with filing down a bit at the edges, but they're not "slice a finger off" sharp, they just poke you gently. Looks awesome too.

Cost me £215 to my door a while back. Never really been used either (bought as a backup bass and my Ibanez is so reliable), it's probably going to get sold soon to fund something else. :)[/quote]
That's a Brice?! When I saw a photo of it I thought 'wow, that's a nice looking bass, must have cost a fair chunk'.

Zach

• 9 months later...

I've got an SX that I use as a practice bass. I upgraded the knobs, string guide for a Hipshot one, and replaced the electronics but kept the pickups as they sounded pretty decent. Its turned out to be well worth the money.

I've been reading on Talkbass that a lot of folk have been stripping the "nuclear orange" tint from the necks, using something called Citristrip. Its not available over here, but I wondered if anyone else had stripped the neck of their SX, and what they used.

As you'll see in my signature, I'm an SX guy through and through :)

Bought both of mine from fellow BC-ers on here, and I couldn't be happier with them to be honest. Obviously they're a budget instrument, but to be honest, you'd be hard pressed to know this. A fellow bassist friend of mine tried the 30" P-bass I use, and I asked him on what he thought the price was based on how it played and felt, and he said £300! And this guy is an experienced player, just not clued up on SX basses :lol:

For so little financial outlay, it makes sense to mod them as the basic kit is so good. I'm on the look out for more SX basses and will certainly buy more in the future :)

[quote name='EddieG' post='1058111' date='Dec 14 2010, 01:15 AM']I've got an SX that I use as a practice bass. I upgraded the knobs, string guide for a Hipshot one, and replaced the electronics but kept the pickups as they sounded pretty decent. Its turned out to be well worth the money.

I've been reading on Talkbass that a lot of folk have been stripping the "nuclear orange" tint from the necks, using something called Citristrip. Its not available over here, but I wondered if anyone else had stripped the neck of their SX, and what they used.[/quote]

I've got a modded SX which has replaced my USA Ps completely, and I got around the 'Dickinson Orange' neck by simply replacing it with a Mighty Mite off t'EBay. Changed the bridge for a Schaller 3D, and it's frankly the best P I've ever played. It's the one in my avatar pic. :)

Width and lengthways the MM neck was a good fit, IIRC it was a little shallower (board to back), but that's not been an issue, to be honest. Really good necks for the money, if you like a satin finish there's nothing to do, but you can refinish them or even buy finished ones.