Why become a member? ×

SX bass project FINISHED!!!

neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='85048' date='Nov 7 2007, 06:22 PM']TPJ

Sorry to hear your bass is damaged. Even at cheap prices, its still a pain in the 'arris.

My money is its on the UK handlers at Stansted. They are all blind Polish criminals you know!!

May be worth emailing Kurt (re the fret issue) at Rondo and see what he suggests. He may even send you a replacement neck if your very nice to him. Its only the fact your half way round the world that is stopping you returning it, so he may be sympathetic. If not, the new neck are only about £30 I think.

I suppose I was lucky with mine, not a mark on it.[/quote]

Their conditions do exclude international sales from any kind of guarantee or after sale service ... I guess its only a £50 bass (or £47.88 at todays exchange rate) ...

[quote name='neilb' post='85048' date='Nov 7 2007, 06:22 PM']TPJ

Sorry to hear your bass is damaged. Even at cheap prices, its still a pain in the 'arris.[/quote]
I'm not that fussed really, adds a bit of mojo. I'll get some touch up paint to tone down the grey a bit.

[quote name='OldGit' post='85093' date='Nov 7 2007, 07:43 PM']Their conditions do exclude international sales from any kind of guarantee or after sale service ... I guess its only a £50 bass (or £47.88 at todays exchange rate) ...[/quote]
Yeah, it was only cheap so no great deal. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at fret leveling actually.

On a side note, Mr Taxman sent me a letter asking for £24 customs and duty so no escape. Odd that they are collecting afterwards now. They must have set up something with FedEx so the boys on the road don't have to deal with money collection.

Anyhow, I'll let you know how the project goes with the neck.

Cheers,

[quote name='TPJ' post='85331' date='Nov 8 2007, 11:10 AM']On a side note, Mr Taxman sent me a letter asking for £24 customs and duty so no escape. Odd that they are collecting afterwards now. They must have set up something with FedEx so the boys on the road don't have to deal with money collection.[/quote]

Yeah me too .. :)
Still cheap though

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. my daughter said she would buy a bass for xmas from Rondo music,. the one i fancied is a Stingray copy. not that struck on the colour. but i just wanted it for practising at home. sounded ok for what works out at todays exchange rate at £45, but when i clicked on the total it came to over $300, plus whatever i have to pay over here. i wont bother. didn't think it would be that much.

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/order.cgi?rd=1&storeid=*12c43475e5d91c6c61419a&sbid=SSMSB1195915527.18544&prevlocation=http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/s...ssguitars4.html[/url]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='93778' date='Nov 24 2007, 03:11 PM']Ok. my daughter said she would buy a bass for xmas from Rondo music,. the one i fancied is a Stingray copy. not that struck on the colour. but i just wanted it for practising at home. sounded ok for what works out at todays exchange rate at £45, but when i clicked on the total it came to over $300, plus whatever i have to pay over here. i wont bother. didn't think it would be that much.

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/order.cgi?rd=1&storeid=*12c43475e5d91c6c61419a&sbid=SSMSB1195915527.18544&prevlocation=http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/s...ssguitars4.html[/url][/quote]

Looks like you've got two basses on that order sheet ... That might explain it ..

I removed one and the total is 180 dollars .. about 90 quid, plus £35 or so tax this end...
Shouldn't come to more than £140, all in

• 1 month later...

I wanted a 6 string a few years ago, and could only afford cheap stuff. I bought a "Brice" bass from Rondo music. I don't know if they're anything to do with SX, and I'm certainly no expert on bass, but I love my Brice, and it plays as well as my Schecter Studio 6 which brand new would have been around 5 times the price of the Brice! I also used to know an excellent bassist called Lee (from stoke, are you here Lee?) who played 3 different status and a very nice Fender jazz, and he loved my Brice. It's interesting how little difference there is sometimes between a cheap and an expensive instrument.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='121415' date='Jan 16 2008, 12:37 PM']Changed my mind, again. i would'nt mind this one, with a black pickguard on.

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url][/quote]

If you can play left handed there's one of those on ebay right now for 90 BIN ...
:)

• 5 weeks later...

I was looking for a bass yesterday. I'm a guitarist, write/record songs and wanted to get some feel by using a real bass alongside my guitars and all the other synths/computers I use for everything else.

Was looking at a Jap Fender and somehow stumbled upon an SX review and then this site. After trauling through this and other threads I just took the plunge and ordered this one...

Any users of this bass and or advice for mods/strings etc?

I play guitar in D tuning mostly so will have to do the same with bass so guess this affects strings.

How important is the bridge mod? A lot of you seem to do it. Have seen a black gotoh for £27.

Thanks in advance for any advice, am very excited, it was shipped today

Elliott

[quote name='Evil Laugh' post='141271' date='Feb 15 2008, 06:38 PM']I was looking for a bass yesterday. I'm a guitarist, write/record songs and wanted to get some feel by using a real bass alongside my guitars and all the other synths/computers I use for everything else.

Was looking at a Jap Fender and somehow stumbled upon an SX review and then this site. After trauling through this and other threads I just took the plunge and ordered this one...

Any users of this bass and or advice for mods/strings etc?

I play guitar in D tuning mostly so will have to do the same with bass so guess this affects strings.

How important is the bridge mod? A lot of you seem to do it. Have seen a black gotoh for £27.

Thanks in advance for any advice, am very excited, it was shipped today

Elliott[/quote]

Now look .. are you prepared for the possible Road to Damascus experience when you strap on a bass?

Meanwhile, congrats on your purchase. That looks like a good one.

D tuning I can't help you with ..

I suggest you try the bass as it is when it turns up. To all intents and purposes the bits on the SX's are good enough for most things. You may find it will be fine without any changes other than a normal set up and trus rod tweak. - oh and a bit of gentle 800 grit sanding on the back of the neck to take the stickiness out of the laquer.

The bridges are a tad weedy though and I have heard some have had intonation problems. The Gotoh 203 is a good alternative - usually cost about 20 quid posted. Looks like a Fender "bent tin" one but with a lot more solid construction.

Let us know how you get on ..
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='141295' date='Feb 15 2008, 07:14 PM']Now look .. are you prepared for the possible Road to Damascus experience when you strap on a bass?

Meanwhile, congrats on your purchase. That looks like a good one.

D tuning I can't help you with ..

I suggest you try the bass as it is when it turns up. To all intents and purposes the bits on the SX's are good enough for most things. You may find it will be fine without any changes other than a normal set up and trus rod tweak. - oh and a bit of gentle 800 grit sanding on the back of the neck to take the stickiness out of the laquer.

The bridges are a tad weedy though and I have heard some have had intonation problems. The Gotoh 203 is a good alternative - usually cost about 20 quid posted. Looks like a Fender "bent tin" one but with a lot more solid construction.

Let us know how you get on ..
OG[/quote]

Just picked it up from fedex in Battersea. Ordered from Rondo on Friday night, missed delivery 10am this morning. Some UK shops would struggle to ship in that time. Despite the cardboard packaging there's not a mark on it. ^_^

It looks wicked, only fault being the wonky pots that wobble around like a soon to be detatched hub cap. You can't complain though for £80 can you (which is bizarrely what $180 dollars worked out to as my charge!).

The neck is nice and fast, action is quite low, it plays really well. Just gonna give it an oil polish, maybe a bit of steel wool on the back. No sharp frets. Winner.

Only real downer is the strings which tuned to E are still really slack so plenty of fret buzz unless you just tickle the strings.

I need to tune it down 2 steps to D so am gonna have to get a much heavier gauge than is on here, any advice welcomed on brands/gauge as this is the first bass I have owned and therefore have to buy strings for.

Really pleased with it though, very glad I found this thread and didn't spend £450 on a Fender, you all seem alright so hopefully will be on here a bit now myself.

Quite fancy a fretless already. :huh: Old band bassist had a modded fender P with a rosewood fretless neck added, was a sweet sounding guitar, I loved playing it.

[quote name='Evil Laugh' post='143414' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:05 PM']Just picked it up from fedex in Battersea. Ordered from Rondo on Friday night, missed delivery 10am this morning. Some UK shops would struggle to ship in that time. Despite the cardboard packaging there's not a mark on it. ^_^

It looks wicked, only fault being the wonky pots that wobble around like a soon to be detatched hub cap. You can't complain though for £80 can you (which is bizarrely what $180 dollars worked out to as my charge!).

The neck is nice and fast, action is quite low, it plays really well. Just gonna give it an oil polish, maybe a bit of steel wool on the back. No sharp frets. Winner.

Only real downer is the strings which tuned to E are still really slack so plenty of fret buzz unless you just tickle the strings.

I need to tune it down 2 steps to D so am gonna have to get a much heavier gauge than is on here, any advice welcomed on brands/gauge as this is the first bass I have owned and therefore have to buy strings for.

Really pleased with it though, very glad I found this thread and didn't spend £450 on a Fender, you all seem alright so hopefully will be on here a bit now myself.

Quite fancy a fretless already. ;) Old band bassist had a modded fender P with a rosewood fretless neck added, was a sweet sounding guitar, I loved playing it.[/quote]

Sounds like a winner - sadly the tax/duty bill will come in the post later :)
re your D tune questions .. It woud be best to start a new thread about that, then it will get the attention of the downtune guys and be more productive than posting it here ...

There's a few fretless SX's around on the forum too :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='143563' date='Feb 20 2008, 10:16 AM']Sounds like a winner - sadly the tax/duty bill will come in the post later :huh:
re your D tune questions .. It woud be best to start a new thread about that, then it will get the attention of the downtune guys and be more productive than posting it here ...

There's a few fretless SX's around on the forum too ;)[/quote]

Cheers man, I know you couldn't help as replied earlier, hoping someone else would, about the strings that is.

Yeah emailed the rondo geexer about a fretless, maybe i should actually wait and see how this one turns out. They're too cheap though, I can see how easy it is to splurge on a new one 'cause you just fancy a Jazz or something. Am having a bit of a gear splurge at the mo. :)

[quote name='Evil Laugh' post='143603' date='Feb 20 2008, 11:25 AM']Cheers man, I know you couldn't help as replied earlier, hoping someone else would, about the strings that is.

Yeah emailed the rondo geexer about a fretless, maybe i should actually wait and see how this one turns out. They're too cheap though, I can see how easy it is to splurge on a new one 'cause you just fancy a Jazz or something. Am having a bit of a gear splurge at the mo. :)[/quote]

Ha ha GAS is a terrible thing :huh:

Does anyone know if Rondo have a secreat stash not featured on the website?

Someone over on TB seems to have just taken delivery of a natural jazz which I can't find on there. Not that I want it...I am in a serious sunburst relationship at the moment but I would like to know if someone is holding out on us!

Paul.

Odd...it's not there now. Maybe it was very limited stock and the've fetched it off already.

I'm very jealous of your P/J. I was sure that was going to be my 2nd SX...but I think it will be my 3rd. It would make more sense for me to get a jazz next. I'm up to my 4 bass limit though so no can do until I shift something.

Paul.