Why become a member? ×

Another coffee table

lozbass

I can't find a Fodera thread so I'll post this on its own. I was taking a few photographs for another thread and thought I'd make the best of the sunshine. My photography skills are awful but a few people might be interested in this. It's a Fodera Imperial MG5 - around three years old - I've had if for a few months. The photographs simply don't do it justice of course - I'll see if I can do better at the weekend.

Update: well I tried to do better with the images and have added some more/better photographs (with some close-ups to show contstruction etc.) - thanks for the posts and PMs!

Edited by lozbass

Thanks to all for the very lovely comments - I'm really chuffed with the bass, it's a joy to play and look at (the action is a joke and it's perfect for chords and generally playing much faster than normal...that's fast and tuneless in my case).

To answer some of the comments, it's a two string I need rather than a four (I could just take three off this). I do look after the bass and always use a coaster. It is a 33" scale (26 Fret). I'm in Manchester - you're welcome to come over but bring an umbrella and a kevlar vest. That video of the guy in the shop just cracks me up!

Edited by lozbass

I have seen many basses but I think this is the most beautiful bass I have ever seen..
In fact I am looking for a bass like this..
I've been selling a couple of basses recently (like my blue Wal) and with that money I would like to buy a Fodera like you have.
Unfortunately not easy to find second hand..
Buying a new one is a bit too expensive but I hope within the near future to find a similar beautiful Fodera like yours.
Absolutely stunning and breathtaking.. Congratulations.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='497968' date='May 26 2009, 01:27 PM']I have seen many basses but I think this is the most beautiful bass I have ever seen..
In fact I am looking for a bass like this..
I've been selling a couple of basses recently (like my blue Wal) and with that money I would like to buy a Fodera like you have.
Unfortunately not easy to find second hand..
Buying a new one is a bit too expensive but I hope within the near future to find a similar beautiful Fodera like yours.
Absolutely stunning and breathtaking.. Congratulations.[/quote]
Thanks very much for the comments - I hope you find something soon. I must admit that I've been very pleased with the bass so far. Beyond the looks, it's a lovely bass to play (the action is fantastically low) and the tone is really lush - clean, clear and slightly compressed (it's the first bass I've had that makes me sound like a proper player - I can usually manage to make any bass sound dreadful). I was hoping to get some better photographs over the weekend but ended up working. I'll post further images as soon as I have a bit of time and there's a bit of sunshine in the North of the UK

[quote name='lozbass' post='498764' date='May 27 2009, 02:13 PM']Thanks to all for the very kind comments - I'll get some decent photos asap.

Funkypenguin - I'm just to the south of the city, around the university area (Fallowfield).[/quote]

not that far from me then! im up salford way (since i study there). never had the chance to play a fodera (one missing from the checklist :)) how does it compare with some of the other high end material around? whats the neck profile like?

Edited by funkypenguin

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='498852' date='May 27 2009, 03:09 PM']how does it compare with some of the other high end material around? whats the neck profile like?[/quote]
This is always a difficult - and sometimes contentious - one! In my opinion, this MG compares very well with any other high-end bass I've played (cue here all those that would say 'you would say that etc...') However, it feels different to the vast majority of basses insofar as it has a 33", 26 fret (mandolin wire) board. The shape of the body is supremely comfortable and the bass as a whole is surprisingly compact (this is a good thing for me). I find the neck to be extremely comfortable - it's a flattened D profile and fairly shallow with a satinated finish. String spacing is wide (about 19mm) but I've not experienced any discomfort with this - indeed, the bass plays super-fast with a ridiculously low action and low tension (not to everybody's taste of course). I'm not always a fan of wide spacing, but on this bass it isn't an issue and for chordal playing, the spacing is a real bonus.

[quote]where abouts in manc are you? (im not going to steal it, just interested!)[/quote]

OIII !!! We dont want any of you Tykes coming over nicking gear, we are pretty good at that on this side of the hills without any help from your sort :)