Why become a member? ×

I don't believe...

Eight

Either I'm going mental, my tuner has already, or the rest of guitar playing internet has been for some time.

Can someone check this out for me - if you're with your bass it should only take a sec.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU[/url]

Main riff - is supposed to be something like this in standard tuning

[code]G|-----------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------|
A|-----0-2-2--2-----2-2-0-0---0-2-4-0------| x3
E|--2-----------0-0---------4--------------|[/code]

Except... I start playing along to the YouTube clip and find I'm a semitone low. Shifting up and starting on the G sounds right to me... but the damn internet has me doubting.

Can someone let me know if I have cloth ears or my tuner is f**ked.

www.ultimate-guitar.com - so not a very reliable source.

Except somewhere I have the Guitar World transcription of this and I'm pretty sure the main riff was the same as the tab posted. Unless YouTube has repitched the video???

Edit: Cheers Bassman, I'm glad its not my ears then. :)

Edited by Eight

Guest MoJo

Here they are playing it live
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtywrOTnHw&feature=related"]Darkness on Later With Jools[/url]

and it's a semi-tone lower than the previously posted video :)

Wish I could find my copy of the album.

But yeah, looks like either YouTube has done something or maybe they did pitch shift it for the music video.

At least I'll sleep tonight without thinking about buying a new tuner or that my ears are shot. :)

[quote name='Eight' post='494598' date='May 21 2009, 07:50 PM']Either I'm going mental, my tuner has already, or the rest of guitar playing internet has been for some time.

Can someone check this out for me - if you're with your bass it should only take a sec.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU[/url]

Main riff - is supposed to be something like this in standard tuning

[code]G|-----------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------|
A|-----0-2-2--2-----2-2-0-0---0-2-4-0------| x3
E|--2-----------0-0---------4--------------|[/code]

Except... I start playing along to the YouTube clip and find I'm a semitone low. Shifting up and starting on the G sounds right to me... but the damn internet has me doubting.

Can someone let me know if I have cloth ears or my tuner is f**ked.[/quote]

I wouldn't always assume that a band plays "standard (A=440) pitch". Radiohead seem a good example of a band who can't afford to buy a tuner between them.

Actually.... I've just realised that the song you are asking about was the first song I ever played live on the bass. Don't remember it at all now though!

Edited by thepurpleblob

I can't listen to any of the links (I'm at work), but my band plays this with the riff starting on Fsharp - and whenever I rehearse to the single version it sounds in tune to me!

And the tab looks like the way I play it as well!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='495041' date='May 22 2009, 12:08 PM']AAAH - the wonders of tabulation!! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Ok yes, I could probably have played it by ear (or should have tried).

But it was just a tune I felt like playing once or twice and I'm not so skilled that I could do it all by ear (hey I'm a newb) without spending ages figuring it all out. I didn't really think that the YouTube clip might be different from the version everyone had used for their transcriptions so the whole thing started to get under my skin.

Bands should release only one version of a song - and always in the same key. :) Looks like F# is the "proper" one.

Edited by Eight

Funny thing happened the other day. I had an audition for a band who are quite well known on the punk scene, they have a few CDs out etc. Anyway they asked me to learn ten songs in a week which I did, but I didn't have two of the songs. I downloaded them off the web but whoever recorded them used a record player to convert them from into an MP3. I didn't think this was a problem and duly learned these songs. When it came to playing them at the audition I was a semitone out - and I had been using open strings on my version. They off-handly told me everything was a semi-tome lower and began to count in again. Cue manic transposing on the spot which thankfully worked and I didn't bother arguing with them about the key as they were the ones who wrote the songs in the first place.
For the life of me I couldn't work out how I had much such a bad error until it dawned on me that the record player speed was slight slow and as a result altered the pitch slightly. I've also noticed this will MP3s that have been sampled at various different rates.

We used to play Layla by Derek and the Dominoes. When I was learning it I found 3 different versions of it. C# D and D#. I ended up learning all 3 cause I couldnt get a hold of our guitarist to see which key he was learning it in! I dont even think it was a sampling error or anything.

And by used to play it I mean played it about 3 times live cause our guitarist hates clapton!

That was fun!

[quote name='Eight' post='494598' date='May 21 2009, 07:50 PM']Either I'm going mental, my tuner has already, or the rest of guitar playing internet has been for some time.

Can someone let me know if I have cloth ears or my tuner is f**ked.[/quote]

We do it in F# which i believe is the recorded key so i would say thats right.
ive not gone over it recently but i would say the tab is in the right key.

Youtube can be very misleading IME.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen all the other posts so mine was pointless.

Edited by dave_bass5