Why become a member? ×

Sandberg...?? anyone use them? want them?

jimijimmi

i was just over in France and the support band's bassist was using Sandberg...it was incredible...ive since been to PMT in Birmingham and tried some out and i adore the >UMBO< they have there...

anyone use them??

id love to know youre thoughts.

jimi

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='493112' date='May 20 2009, 11:23 AM']i was just over in France and the support band's bassist was using Sandberg...it was incredible...ive since been to PMT in Birmingham and tried some out and i adore the >UMBO< they have there...

anyone use them??

id love to know youre thoughts.

jimi[/quote]

The californian jazz is great, tried it. They are all good at that level, just depends on pref. They dont seem to be the bass of the month at the mo and youcan pick them up cheap at the mo 2nd hand. BAss centre have a nice 5 string ken taylor with a really cool top on a special about £1300 sale is £900. Its new i think as well!

GP.

I've played a few of these and I can honestly say I've never played a bad one. For 5 strings they've got the kind of low B you would only hear on instruments which cost double the price. The cool thing about Sandberg is they'll also do custom work for you. A while ago I was toying with the idea of a 24 fret jazz with no pick guard, a tapered heal and a deeper lower cutaway for easier upper fret access. I emailed Sandberg and they came up with some ideas straight away and because it was still relatively within the parameteres of the existing california model it was gonna cost roughly the same money! The only reason I didn't order it was cos of unforseen financial problems, I may still order it in the future. Great guys to deal with as well. I honestly don't think you'll be dissapointed mate.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='493141' date='May 20 2009, 11:56 AM']I've played a few of these and I can honestly say I've never played a bad one. For 5 strings they've got the kind of low B you would only hear on instruments which cost double the price. The cool thing about Sandberg is they'll also do custom work for you. A while ago I was toying with the idea of a 24 fret jazz with no pick guard, a tapered heal and a deeper lower cutaway for easier upper fret access. I emailed Sandberg and they came up with some ideas straight away and because it was still relatively within the parameteres of the existing california model it was gonna cost roughly the same money! The only reason I didn't order it was cos of unforseen financial problems, I may still order it in the future. Great guys to deal with as well. I honestly don't think you'll be dissapointed mate.[/quote]

+1 for communication too.
When ordering my custom I was in constant emails with Henrik at Sandberg who kept me up to date with everything. I used Darren at Colchester's Bass merchant to organise the order by the way..... effortless and only an eight week wait.

great stuff to hear...

ive spoken to Henrik a couple of times and he seems one hell of a nice guy to deal with..

im loving the >umbo< basses..

and the heavy relic finish is right up my strassa!

thanks for the replies lads...

I think Sandberg basses look great, and their relic designs are so much better looking than what fender are bringing out at the moment.

I quite fancy a 5 string JJ hardcore aged in their roquefort blue with a maple board, same as this one. Should I get in touch with Sandberg directly then to arrange the order?

[attachment=25567:cal_jm4_...blue_hca.jpg]

Years ago when I bought my first LMII from Electromusic in Doncaster, the guy handed me a Sandberg to try the amp with and I turned my nose up at it. Boy was I surprised when I plugged it in and played it - it was fantastic and I've wanted one ever since.

A coupla weeks ago I bought this off another BCer and I love it - it's a superb bass. Hope the person who took the photo doesn't mind me using it.

Currently using Sandberg California JM and JJ's. For the money, at least when i got them, they are the best quality/sounding basses around, IMHO!!! As for the Delano pickups and Glockenklang pre-amp... :wub: The Umbo's are passive and use a different make of pickup, so i'd be interested to compare.

I quite like the Sandberg stuff... it's a built better than Fender, Fender. Sounds great, very reliable and great playing. I think there are very good value for money...

There is one thing that bugs me though...

...why do they cut the fret slots deeper than the fret tangs?! Ugh.

[quote name='yorick' post='493201' date='May 20 2009, 12:56 PM']As for the Delano pickups and Glockenklang pre-amp...[/quote]

Absolutely! A great combo.

Must admit, when it comes to German jazz bass clones, both Sandberg and Clover take some beating.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='493168' date='May 20 2009, 01:20 PM']Years ago when I bought my first LMII from Electromusic in Doncaster, the guy handed me a Sandberg to try the amp with and I turned my nose up at it. Boy was I surprised when I plugged it in and played it - it was fantastic and I've wanted one ever since.

A coupla weeks ago I bought this off another BCer and I love it - it's a superb bass. Hope the person who took the photo doesn't mind me using it.

[/quote]
Wow, that is sexy!

I´ve played a couple Sandbergs and liked every one of them. The California PM is probably my favourite.

Edited by Soulfinger

Sandbergs are the mutts nutts, simple as that. I [i]nearly[/i] got me mitts on Tomboys blackburst one a few months back, but he sensibley hung on to it. I've played them straight off the wall in PMT and they were to die for, tone and playability by the bucket load, and having played Alans (shown above) round a Peters last night, that just reinforced my GAS for one. Outstanding basses.

I've got a PM5 and couldn't be more pleased with it. Very versatile, well made, comfy neck. Great fingerstyle, slap and P bass tones and I just keep the eq flat.

Only issue is mine's a bit heavy - but that's not a general issue with them.

Local shop had this in for a long time. I tried it quite a few times and dithered as it's a bit too bling for me what with the figured top and the block inlays - but the sound makes up for it.

I've got some recordings of it if you are interested Jimi.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='493202' date='May 20 2009, 12:56 PM']I quite like the Sandberg stuff... it's a built better than Fender, Fender. Sounds great, very reliable and great playing. I think there are very good value for money...[/quote]

Huge +1 on that, they feel far more er... German than Fenders (obviously Fender being American and all). Honestly though a Sandberg feels like if you were to drop it it would be totally fine which is more than I can say for some American Fenders I've played. Plus look at the price, what can Fender offer you for £1200? Now compare that to a Sandberg of equivilant value: More finish options, Delano pickups, 9v Delano preamp, bigger sound, Better build quality, far better customer service etc etc.

I'm not against fenders in any way, I love em to pieces. I just think the thing with Sandbergs is not that they're cheap for what you get (I think the price is about right) its that Fenders are waaaaaaay over priced comparitavely.

Has anyone got experience of a fretless Sandberg? Thinking of a either a JJ (a Jaco alike), PJ (a la Tony Franklin), or a PM.

Any thoughts?

Also, for people who have ordered custom models, has this been done directly with Sandberg, or through a shop?

Ta very much

My custom was ordered through Darren at Bass Merchant in Colchester. You can't order direct from Sandberg. Synergy is the UK distributer and all dealers go through them.
Darren was very helpful and kept me fully updated. Gave a generous discount off the RRP (I know they all do but this was a very good whack!!). The whole process from idea to product in my hands was about nine weeks, which is bloody quick for a custom finish.